Thread: Starting Issue

Starting Issue

This is one for the "gurus" here.
    My bike is a 2003 R1150R with 72,000 miles. Just did the 72K maintenance with new fuel filter, FD and tranny fluids, air filter, etc. etc.

Ran great on two rides a few weeks ago after all the maintenance except valve check and TB synch. This past week I did a valve check and adjusted the rocker arm end play, retorquing the one head nut as specified. After performing that procedure, I started it up fine in the garage and shut it off. About a week later I had the time to do the TB synch, so I took it out for a warm-up spin and she started, and ran fine.

This week we loaded up for the GMR up in Hiawassee on Friday morning and it would not start right up. I persisted in cranking her over and eventually with a little throttle it fired up. I thought "Bad gas." Well, at each stop up to Hiawassee it was harder than normal to start even being at running temperature. After setting for a couple of hours again it was difficult to start, but finally kicked over. Runs great all the way home the 100 miles Friday evening. Next morning I had to ride back up to the Rally but it wouldn't start! I gave up and got my gear off. After a minute or two I tried it again, and after several attempts it fired up and I went on my way. And then end of the day yesterday it would not start at all and I ended up probably frying my starter or solenoid coil through endless stupid attempts to crank it. Ended up hauling it home in the truck late last night.

Tomorrow I'll deliver my starter to the rebuilder for a check, but even after I get the bike back to cranking I still will have to deal with this hard starting issue.
    I'm thinking a diagnostic check is in order but if anyone has any ideas, please comment.

Update:
    The starter rebuilders at Sleepy Hollow found a broken plastic brush holder inside the starter motor. That was replaced today and they didn't charge me. They said it could very well have been them who broke the holder when they rebuilt it. I'm thinking the same thing.

Now to install it tomorrow and see what happens.

That's good news.
    Robert
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250SEA
    ǣIf you get in too far over your head, remember - full throttle and make it spectacular! http://www.yearroundriders.com

The story continues:

Installed the repaired starter. The fuel tank was already off the bike so I drained the gas out of it and put it back on the bike, after which I put in some fresh 93 octane Shell gas...2.5 gallons which I bought on the way home today.

In my haste I didn't even pull up the high idle switch before cranking it over. It started on the second turnover and I immediately saw that I had forgotten the high idle so I pulled the switch up, raising the idle to 1,000 rpms.
    I have one more test to see if the problem might have been with the coil or plug wires...I'll try to start it hot tomorrow after a short ride and back home. If it works then I can only assume it was indeed bad gasoline in the tank, or the broken, malfunctioning starter interfered in some way electronically with the motronic. (is that possible?)
    Puzzling. But I'm happy she started right up!