• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Not all "CHP" bad :).

Polarbear

Polarbear
Riding in from AZ a week ago on my GSA1200. Need a break and stop at Tahachapi, CA for a short rest. Just before getting off the freeway a mile or so, the CHP were stopping speeders on the other side, opposite direction. I blew on by, thinking of my exit ahead for a rest stop. A mile to go yet. One of the CHP, a Polarbear(white unmarked), the others are Panda's:), had turned on ME across the median to my lack of notice:(. I was not speeding:), but still did not notice the CHP following me at a distance. White unmarked, remember! Tehachapi is a small mountain town and kind of high desert terrain. The exit is clearly wide open country and I just get off and continue to blow the stop sign, left turn, probably still in third gear. NOT even a close stop. Hmmmmm. I notice the white car immediately in my mirror at the past intersection blown by me and YES, guess who! It was a safe maneuver on my part, because no traffic in either direction and I figured what the heck, don't stop:). My California stop was a little much, however as third gear stops are faster than any CHP can handle! Well, I try to go unnoticed and riding towards town, thinking I may have been unseen back there in my glory. NOPE, the CHP had me in their sights indeed and approached from behind in a carniverous fashion, I felt:(. ME, I guess I'm had, so my GSA and I find dirt, well off the roadway and safe. The Polarbear(unmarked whitie car) CHP has a girl CHP at the helm and she marches at me with a mannerism of real authority and about to pounce on my guilt. I knew it was coming and melted into a puddle of self guilt. She spoke first; "WHAT WAS THAT", not even close to a stop? I quickly remove my helmet for my age may improve my case, with lots of grey hairs, mostly grey nowadays:). I speak; I'm wrong, indeed and have no excuse, I blew it! I have no out, I say. I'm clearly wrong and have no excuse at all". End of conversation. She asks for my drivers license and "no" registratation, and after that and I feel immediately she may be considering a break for me and a verbal warning:). My feeling is correct as I speak again and say," if you're condidering giving me a break, I'm very appreciative indeed" and that was that. She gave me a break and I have been lucky this day. Actually, no CHP are bad, as I titled this and they are just folks doing jobs we conflict with occasionally. My latest was a good experience, as I got off the hook with a repremand from this lady CHP. I have a great record and no tickets for a dozen or more years, so I've been a good boy or say not caught:). Be safe, Happy Trails, Randy13233:bow

I've made a career of getting out of tickets, though I've never been pulled over on my bikes.

I can't BELIEVE she let you off after blowing a stop sign in third gear. You earned that ticket. Good for you, man. I guess it was Polar Bear courtesy.

Right:)

I know the luck was with me that day. My handle is Polarbear, of course and a white unmarked in California is known as a "Polarbear" too, by the truckers. Kind of odd I get caught by one. The Lady CHP was more than generous:). I'm not a reckless rider, just let some show that day, however. Guilty! Randy

Lucky Too Twice

PolarBear, you are one lucky dude! You have joined my wife and I in that select circle of recent bullet dodgers. I agree that the CHP is a pretty decent group!
Going south in late March, I was pulled over for speeding just as we entered 86S from I-10. Was doing 73 towing a 16 foot open trailer (with two BMW motorcycles) as cargo. We were only about 40 miles from our destination. Rats! I was polite and owned up to knowing the limit for trailers was 55 and he just said "slow it down" and handed me back my license. Major Break! Maybe he liked the looks of my blue RT?? and the wife's GS, who knows??
About three weeks later we are trailing my new RT back from Chico and I had just turned over the driving chores to my wife. She was just getting the feel of the rig when the big red light behind came on. This was on 99 southbound somewhere north of Bakersfield. She was doing 72 with the trailer and admitted she knew 55 was the limit. She asked for "a break" and the nice officer handed back her license and said "slow it down". Major Break Squared!!
Moral or lessons learned = tow at speeds between 60 and 65, don't lead the pack even if some 18 wheelers are blowing past at 75. Our trip home was uneventful and at the above mentioned speeds we seemed to be "invisible" to the authorities radar, or at the very least not an "item of interest". We were both very lucky.
Cheers
DD&F

some motor officers are known to race too. dont get your hopes up if'n you run...:bolt

Well not CHP but BCSO "cage" here likes to turn on overhead lights to warn on coming traffic they are in danger of a fast driver award.

To make it better, the local PD has flashed headlights to get me to wake up and ease off the fuel.

Having had both of those warnings has done more to slow me down than a fast driving award.

But I was only barely speeding (=5MPH+), much over and I would be napping in drivers ED I suspect.

Still nice of the local LE officers here in Tejas.

Still better is the State Legislature ruled that NESCO "photo radar" illegal :clap And ordered all such BS removed and at last report, was investigating NESCO for "conflict of interest" in paying the salary of officers trained/treated/rewarded/brainwashed by NESCO.

Hehehehehe, Texas citizens 1, NESCO 0 :D

Interestingly enough, NESCO doesnt seem to have a website to promote it's photo radar. One can only hope these parasites got a real job.

Not that I condone speeding, but tickets should be issued by a sworn officer, not a camera.

Bye bye NESCO:p

Well not CHP but BCSO "cage" here likes to turn on overhead lights to warn on coming traffic they are in danger of a fast driver award.

To make it better, the local PD has flashed headlights to get me to wake up and ease off the fuel.

Having had both of those warnings has done more to slow me down than a fast driving award.

Your officers are definitely the exception in this ticket-happy state where speed enforcement exceeds ridiculous. I've been let off ONCE in the ten or so times I've been stopped here, one time I even got the award after being clocked while a big ol' pickup truick was passing my car by a good 15 or so.

Still better is the State Legislature ruled that NESCO "photo radar" illegal :clap And ordered all such BS removed and at last report, was investigating NESCO for "conflict of interest" in paying the salary of officers trained/treated/rewarded/brainwashed by NESCO.

Hehehehehe, Texas citizens 1, NESCO 0 :D

Interestingly enough, NESCO doesnt seem to have a website to promote it's photo radar. One can only hope these parasites got a real job.

Is that all speed cameras, or just those from NESCO?

Not that I condone speeding, but tickets should be issued by a sworn officer, not a camera.

I wholeheartedly agree.

All photo radar is banned in Texas. NESCO just happened to be the parasites wanting a piece of the pie.

Our big time whiney mayor cried foul because they took his photo radar away. He climed traffic "accidents would increase 43%" because the photo radar was gone. What an idiot. Obviously more "data" from NESCO. As a driver in the area, I can say for certain, I feel safer with that junk gone.

Those stupid cameras nearly got me in accidents beause of people panic stopping when ever they saw the mobil camera. Austin banned them a while back because they caused a lot of rear end accidents.

As said before (hehehehehe) NESCO 0, good guys 1.

Cops

Not all cops are bad. They're like any other profession; you have good, bad, and those who put in just enough effort to get a paycheck.

About twenty years ago, I took a trip to Yellowstone. The trip was great, partially because I took so many back roads. It was just after noon, and I was a little north of Kemmerer, Wyoming when it started to rain, and I mean rain hard. I had my rain gear on so it wasn't a big deal. Because of the foul weather, I was making a point to drive a little slower, and safer than normal. To my surprise a Wyoming state trooper came out of nowhere, and pulled me over in the middle of the storm. The rain was really coming down hard, and I figured whatever I did it must have been really bad for a trooper to pull me over in that kind of rain.

He got out of the car, thoroughly checked my bike and told me to get in his car. I thought o-well, forget the ticket, I'm going straight to jail. At that point with the large drops of sweat rolling of my brow, the rain seemed insignificant.

Once in the car I was relieved to find he just wanted to get out of the rain. He checked me in every computer he had. After coming back clear, he told me why I was stopped. I did not have my headlight on. I DID NOT HAVE MY HEADLIGHT ON? He told me in Wyoming bikers are required to have their headlight on at all times. I'm thinking ok where is the JP Court, and what is the fine.

To my astonishment he gave me a warning. I got out of his car, leaving what seemed like several gallons of transfer water on the seat, and was free to go.

I've thought a lot about that cop. He could have let me go without stopping me. He would have been better off. He certainly would not have gotten soaking wet. He was actually doing me a favor. He was letting me know I did not have my lights on, and although I was trying to ride safe, I could be a little safer.

That's the type of professional I like, someone who's not in it for the paycheck, but civic virtue. My hat's off Wyoming.

Easy :german

All photo radar is banned in Texas. NESCO just happened to be the parasites wanting a piece of the pie.

Our big time whiney mayor cried foul because they took his photo radar away. He climed traffic "accidents would increase 43%" because the photo radar was gone. What an idiot. Obviously more "data" from NESCO. As a driver in the area, I can say for certain, I feel safer with that junk gone.

Those stupid cameras nearly got me in accidents beause of people panic stopping when ever they saw the mobil camera. Austin banned them a while back because they caused a lot of rear end accidents.

As said before (hehehehehe) NESCO 0, good guys 1.

Good. Now if they'll just get rid of those #@*$&*@#&%*$&%*&$@# red-light cameras which propagate like weeds around here, and which are also known to increase collisions near intersections.

Those are the things Austin got rid of.

The news anchors around here always sound particularly gleeful when they announce the latest implementation program in the metro area, and practically parrot the various cities' announcements that they are looking forward to increased safety (we know the real deal, don't we? :deal). Shows how ass-backwards this area is.

another "not bad" trooper

Speaking of close calls...

Last summer I got a little carried away on rt 21 in upstate NY. Beautiful day, no traffic. After a 15 mile stretch of nice rolling hills with lots of fast sweepers I was really feeling at one with the road. After the sweepers there is a 2 mi dead straight section with nobody around except for a Camaro comming towards me so I rolled on the thottle just to let it run for a bit. As I passed the Camaro doing about 110 mph I realized it was one of NY state trooper's "chase vehicles". They use both Mustangs and Camaros fully painted with no lights on the roof.

Before he could turn around I pulled off the road and just waited. When he pulled up to me he actually thanked me for stopping because he was worried that he was going to have to chase me. I told him I had no excuse other than it was a great day and I was having too much fun. After checking my License, registration etc. he told me to slow down and have a nice day. Of course, I was totally stunned and very thankful.

As noted earlier in this thread, I think the fact that I'm 56 years old and was wearing protective gear head to toe probably helped. I'm sure if I was a young kid on a crotch rocket wearing shorts and a t-shirt the story would have ended differently.

Back