• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sparkly oil - Final Drive issue

Dont taze me bro!

You tazed yourself.

Look, I'm far from being an "enabler". But as now approaching 50k people are dead in China and 75k in Myanmar, I just can't get all hot and bothered over one mechanical failure in 5 years on an otherwise stellar and wickedly fun bike. On an outrage scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst, I'd give this a 2. And since I buy new bikes about as often as I bend spoons with my mind, I don't wield much influence on BMW.

Aside from buying used BMWs, what are you doing about it? :ear

Steve, I'd drain it within the next 1000 miles and have a close look at what comes out, just to be on the safe side...maybe even 500 miles.

Check rear wheel play (if any) more often for the first little while.

You might want to give that DC additive a try. There has got to be a reason it was found in both my 2003 and 2004 R1150 GS Adventures.

For what it's worth I change my FD oil every 10,000 km. It's a pretty harsh environment for 250 ml of oil to be in. The cost is negligible and takes so little time.

Amazing. What incentive will BMW have to fix their problems with that kind of customer? The bike is sound they just need to tighten up on their QC. Which they wont do if they have no incentive to. You might as well put a sign on your back that says KICK ME.
I don't understand what you're saying.. in a prior post you stated:

There is no way I would pay what BMW is asking for a new MC.

Why would BMW have any incentive with your kind of non-customer?

I'm all confused.. :blush You want them to do something and you'll still refuse to pay what they're asking for a bike? Why would they? :bolt

What would you suggest I do with my seething rage?

employ it judiciously when you re-torque your new paralever bushings at the 600-1,000 mile mark. Tom Cutter states that doing so is critical to achieving full life expectancy from the bushing set.

You tazed yourself.

Look, I'm far from being an "enabler". But as now approaching 50k people are dead in China and 75k in Myanmar, I just can't get all hot and bothered over one mechanical failure in 5 years on an otherwise stellar and wickedly fun bike. On an outrage scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst, I'd give this a 2. And since I buy new bikes about as often as I bend spoons with my mind, I don't wield much influence on BMW.

Aside from buying used BMWs, what are you doing about it? :ear

Well maybe if BMW had properly shimmed your FD we wouldnt be having all these people dying in China and Myanmar, now would we? :nono :eat :D
If I was in charge of BMW Motorcycle Division I would call the Head Of QC into my office. Mustafa I see here in the BMWMOA forums this man knary has had his FD fail early. Mustafa BMW means quality and engineering excellence! We cant have our customers having problems like this! See that it never happens again!
I want you to send knary a coupon good for $500 off a new BMW motorcycle for his trouble!:deal

I don't understand what you're saying.. in a prior post you stated:

Why would BMW have any incentive with your kind of non-customer?

I'm all confused.. :blush You want them to do something and you'll still refuse to pay what they're asking for a bike? Why would they? :bolt

The same incentive Ford and GM have now that people are buying Toyotas!:clap

A few photos showing a bit of the chattered surface of the bearing races.

Outer race
296289760_nDFmP-L.jpg

296289568_oCFdw-L.jpg

Notice how the wear is only on part of the surface. I presume it only failed where there was the heaviest or lightest load. This wear covers around 2/5ths of the outer bearing's inner surface. Scary, eh? If you're not familiar with these things, they're supposed to be smooooooth

The inner race
296289328_cSmbi-L.jpg

WHERE'S THE BACON?

How are we too make sense of these pictures if there is no bacon? :eat

If I was in charge of BMW Motorcycle Division I would call the Head Of QC into my office. Mustafa I see here in the BMWMOA forums this man knary has had his FD fail early. Mustafa BMW means quality and engineering excellence! We cant have our customers having problems like this! See that it never happens again! I want you to send knary a coupon good for $500 off a new BMW motorcycle for his trouble!:deal

I suspect the conversation would be more like this:

"Mustafa, BMW Motorrad is in the high-end motorcycle business, and our job is to maximize profits and shareholder return for BMW AG. If we don't, we may end working for that Chris Bangle guy . . . and nobody wants that. Our job is NOT to build a perfect used motorcycle that never fails for that knary guy over on the MOA forum.

As head of QC, your job is to ensure that BMW motorycles maintain a reliability in line with what we charge for them, including balancing the cost of warranty repairs against the cost of reducing warranty claims and costs. Our goal is to keep people wanting to buy NEW BMW motorcycles, and hopefully keep getting them to pay ever higher prices for them. We don't want people buying those cheap Hondas instead of BMWs. Now, don't try to make a motorcycle that never breaks, or we'll bankrupt the company, and we may end up working for that Chris Bangle guy . . . and nobody . . .."

OK, I'm just making up that Chris Bangle part. ;)

BMW builds crap and we will buy it no questions asked! The transmission on my BMW failed at 66k miles.

This seems an overstatement and unfair generalization.

Most BMW FDs last more than 50K, and most BMW trannies last more than 66K. Personal anecdotes are poor bases for generalizations like "BMW builds crap." I wonder what percentage of non-BMW motorcycles even live to be 50K....

In truth, most motorcycles don't last that long. In a car, the transmission can be built nearly as beefy as need be. In a motorcycle, there are more severe space and weight issues. We're used to BMW powertrains lasting forever, but these bikes are getting more and more powerful, which add stresses. What was the HP rating of the R27? 18 bhp? And knary's R1200GS? 100 bhp?

Personally, I like knary's attitude. The weather in the Specific NW is beautiful right now, especially on a newly serviced bike that is running like a top. Too nice, in fact, to get all negative about a mechanical failure that came after 50K and has now been fixed to the owner's satisfaction. Ride on, knary!

This seems an overstatement and unfair generalization.

Most BMW FDs last more than 50K, and most BMW trannies last more than 66K. Personal anecdotes are poor bases for generalizations like "BMW builds crap." I wonder what percentage of non-BMW motorcycles even live to be 50K....

In truth, most motorcycles don't last that long. In a car, the transmission can be built nearly as beefy as need be. In a motorcycle, there are more severe space and weight issues. We're used to BMW powertrains lasting forever, but these bikes are getting more and more powerful, which add stresses. What was the HP rating of the R27? 18 bhp? And knary's R1200GS? 100 bhp?

Personally, I like knary's attitude. The weather in the Specific NW is beautiful right now, especially on a newly serviced bike that is running like a top. Too nice, in fact, to get all negative about a mechanical failure that came after 50K and has now been fixed to the owner's satisfaction. Ride on, knary!

:thumb

FWIW, I've got the relatively anemic 1150GS. And I don't really buy the "it's a motorcycle, they're inherently fragile" line. BMW did screw up. This problem in particular does appear to be an avoidable problem. Further, the R12GS final drive issue also appears to be something of a design issue. In both cases, if I understand correctly, the problems are showing up much more here in the states because of the way we tend to ride - fast, long, and in sometimes high heat. I would bet that my final drive's failure began last summer during the 1000 mile dashes across the midwest to and from the rally in 100??F+ heat.

It is interesting that apparently both the inner and outer races are pitted and spalled, and that the bearing cage did not disintegrate (Correct?). I suspect that most of the damage you seem to have had is from the contamination being fed thru the bearing in service.

I wonder why the opposing tapered roller bearing was brinelled?

My guess is excessive preload. Others may differ.

We need a better way to diagnose the early stages of failure - maybe via noise? We also need a way to confirm proper preload on reassembly - maybe via a breakout torque spec?

It is interesting that apparently both the inner and outer races are pitted and spalled, and that the bearing cage did not disintegrate (Correct?). I suspect that most of the damage you seem to have had is from the contamination being fed thru the bearing in service.

I wonder why the opposing tapered roller bearing was brinelled?

My guess is excessive preload. Others may differ.

We need a better way to diagnose the early stages of failure - maybe via noise? We also need a way to confirm proper preload on reassembly - maybe via a breakout torque spec?

When this first happened to the K1200LT bikes, some on that forum diagnosed improper installation of the bearing when the final drive was manufacturered. That the damage was done pressing the bearing into place.
Of course, since these final drive failures were a relatively new occurance for BMW, the weight of the bike and the heat back there seemed the most likely to most of us...that the drive simply wasn't up to it.
I don't know if anything was resolved on the forum about it. Seems to have developed into a cost of riding maintenance item these days.

Diagnose via noise--yes.

"We need a better way to diagnose the early stages of failure - maybe via noise?"

Exactly right, but you probably need to wear a 3/4 helmet and no ear plugs for a short ride every week or so.

Bearing failure will announce itself well in advance of catastrophic failure with a loud hum that varies with road speed and is independent of gear selection or clutch engagement. But you probably won't hear it with ear plugs/speakers, full face helmet, and iPod cranked up.

I might be wrong about the helmet, but I was wearing a 3/4 when I heard mine starting to sing that song.

In today's WSJ, on page B1, there is an article about BMW AG and Daimler AG discussing the possibility of teaming up on developing, producing, and purchasing CAR components.

Maybe we can get them to throw MOTORCYCLE components into the agreement, and finally find a solution to the "short-lived FD" issue.

Maybe not . . . ;)

"We need a better way to diagnose the early stages of failure - maybe via noise?"

Exactly right, but you probably need to wear a 3/4 helmet and no ear plugs for a short ride every week or so.

Bearing failure will announce itself well in advance of catastrophic failure with a loud hum that varies with road speed and is independent of gear selection or clutch engagement. But you probably won't hear it with ear plugs/speakers, full face helmet, and iPod cranked up.

I might be wrong about the helmet, but I was wearing a 3/4 when I heard mine starting to sing that song.
I had in mind a contact microphone epoxied on the FD & an electronic way of listening while driving on a smooth road at modest speed. Walgreens had a super cheap hearing aid for about $14 that has me tempted.

The FD would have to be pretty trashed for you to hear it without amplification and isolation from other noises I'd think.

In today's WSJ, on page B1, there is an article about BMW AG and Daimler AG discussing the possibility of teaming up on developing, producing, and purchasing CAR components.

Maybe we can get them to throw MOTORCYCLE components into the agreement, and finally find a solution to the "short-lived FD" issue.

Maybe not . . . ;)

The issue with the 'old' final drive really does, from what I understand, come down to a spec/install issue, not a design flaw- even if some of the bearing choices are odd.

The new FD's... that may be another story. :dunno

Back