• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sparkly oil - Final Drive issue

The bike is going in to Steve Prokop's this saturday - days before he'll actually be able to look at it. I should get it back the following saturday.

Thanks for your feedback, how long have you been on the bushings? Your points are well noted (2 sets were warranty by the dealer in my case) but I have had my fill of them too. FYI I set the preload with a calibrated fish scale on a 12" bar - no guessing there.

Your welcome! I have used the bushings for maybe 1 K miles as I am not riding much till June. I did ride a couple hundred miles off pavement and so far no play in them. I will check them before my trip this summer...
I can't believe that you went through so many bearings.. Makes you wonder about the quality of these Chinese bearings??? :stick

Good luck Scott on the FD repair!!

The bike is going in to Steve Prokop's this saturday - days before he'll actually be able to look at it. I should get it back the following saturday.

What about the bacon? What happened to it? :eat :D

Your welcome! I have used the bushings for maybe 1 K miles as I am not riding much till June. I did ride a couple hundred miles off pavement and so far no play in them. I will check them before my trip this summer...
I can't believe that you went through so many bearings.. Makes you wonder about the quality of these Chinese bearings??? :stick

Good luck Scott on the FD repair!!

I've got a set of those bushings as well. It is my understanding they are to be retorqued once at between 600 and 1000 miles.

The bike is at the shop. I nervously rode it the 30 miles in, knowing how bad it had gotten. Giving the rear wheel a spin by hand, it's VERY evident that the bearing is dying fast. The bearings are probably a good bit smaller than they're supposed to be by now. :ha

I just got the bike back from Steve Prokop. WOW. It's like a whole new bike. The FD had been producing so much vibration and it had come on so gradually that I hadn't realized how bad it had gotten. I noticed how much smoother it rolled just rocking back and forth on my feet in his driveway. WOW. The rear end also feels more planted - presumably a combination of the new big bearing and new paralever bearings.

The list:
1. The inner race of the old big bearing is pitted along its circumference. The outer race is badly pitted along a bit more than a 1/3rd of its circumference. Spinning it sounds like the warnings of a metallic rattlesnake. It had been shimmed from the factory too tightly.

2. The tapered bearings at the other end of that short shaft were a little notched, presumably from the undesirable movement allowed by the other failed bearings.

3. The paralever bearings, as expected, were also toast.

4. And with all that movement and metal bits sloshing around, the main output seal, pinion seal and some of the other rubber bits were all toast.

They were amazed at how much crap they found in the oil drained from the FD. It had been in there for only the 30 or so mile ride from my house and, again, looked like it was packed with giant glitter.

Steve mentioned that the new bearing set from BMW is a little thicker than the old ones. This means that simply putting in a new set without adjusting the shims won't work - at least for not very long.

All told, it was a chunk of money, a good way towards a brand new Final Drive, but I don't really have the remainder unspoken for and I gambled that it wouldn't need everything. I don't regret the cost one bit, nor am I pissed that it failed in the first place. At this point in its life, having had it for five years, it's not as though this was an unknown issue or, in the grand scheme of things, that much money in the life of vehicle (this is the single mechanical issue it's had). The bike feels SOOOOO good. Gone are the mysteries and excessive vibration that had me worrying about everything from the engine to the rear wheel. Maybe I'm just happy that Steve, all knowing BMW yoda, thought everything else seemed to be in great shape - aside from aesthetic issues (long live rust!) and needing a tune up.

:clap

They were amazed at how much crap they found in the oil drained from the FD.

Steve, I'd drain it within the next 1000 miles and have a close look at what comes out, just to be on the safe side...maybe even 500 miles.

Check rear wheel play (if any) more often for the first little while.

You might want to give that DC additive a try. There has got to be a reason it was found in both my 2003 and 2004 R1150 GS Adventures.

Steve recommended to Scott that he change the final drive oil after 800 miles or so. :D

The list:
1. The inner race of the old big bearing is pitted along its circumference. The outer race is badly pitted along a bit more than a 1/3rd of its circumference. Spinning it sounds like the warnings of a metallic rattlesnake. It had been shimmed from the factory too tightly.

This means that simply putting in a new set without adjusting the shims won't work - at least for not very long.

I don't regret the cost one bit, nor am I pissed that it failed in the first place.
:clap

Pretty much confirms that BMW has serious quality control issues and that these are behind the FD problem.
I see you have joined the ranks of other BMW enablers. BMW builds crap and we will buy it no questions asked! The transmission on my BMW failed at 66k miles. NO WAY do I expect to pay $15,000 for a motorcyle and replace the transmission at 66k miles. Thankfully the PO did that!

The transmission on my BMW failed at 66k miles. NO WAY do I expect to pay $15,000 for a motorcyle and replace the transmission at 66k miles.

I've never had a transmission fail on any of my cars yet, and some of them had far more mileage, not to mention more stress on them.

Pretty much confirms that BMW has serious quality control issues and that these are behind the FD problem.
I see you have joined the ranks of other BMW enablers. BMW builds crap and we will buy it no questions asked! The transmission on my BMW failed at 66k miles. NO WAY do I expect to pay $15,000 for a motorcyle and replace the transmission at 66k miles. Thankfully the PO did that!

"Enablers"? WTF :rofl
I'm not pissed but then I'm not happy about it either. I'm relaying my emotional reaction to the situation. I've had the bike for a number of years. It's been a known issue for most of the time I've owned the bike. I was actually angrier about this problem BEFORE I had to deal with it myself. I am, I must admit, surprised by this. The fix, while not cheap, was not a big deal and by most estimations I shouldn't have any additional problems for a long long time. Time will tell.

What it confirms is that it doesn't confirm much. We don't know why it was incorrectly shimmed. Was it a quality control or spec issue? Obviously it should have been right from the factory but I try to be realistic about the chances for perfection.

To sum it all up:
No, it shouldn't have failed.
My bike is running really well.
I've got all my fingers and toes and my life is really good.

I've never had a transmission fail on any of my cars yet, and some of them had far more mileage, not to mention more stress on them.

We really need to hold BMWs feet to the fire on these QC issues. There is no way I would pay what BMW is asking for a new MC.

I did. Mercury Sable. About 118K, but most failed before 60K and the owners got new ones free. I had to pay $2700. And another $900 for an air conditioning compressor and some motor mounts. Then the brakes locked up at about 130K so I got $500 for it on a new Toyota Tundra.
The Tundra has had a ball joint recall and now has broken O2 sensors out of warranty at 36K and 6 years. Not too bad, but not wonderful.
I'd rather ride BMW motorcycles anyway and I'm willing to pay whatever it costs if I have it to spend.

AND...I just remembered, I had a brand new '72 R75/5 with about 500 miles on it and the transmission input bearing fell apart on a Sunday afternoon. My dealer replaced the transmission on Monday morning. I asked why he had a new trans in stock and he said he didn't...it had about 10K on it. That trans lasted at least another 130K until a 50 dollar car ran over the bike while it was parked on campus.
Sometimes stuff breaks. Sometimes not. Same stuff.

I'd rather ride BMW motorcycles anyway and I'm willing to pay whatever it costs if I have it to spend.

Amazing. What incentive will BMW have to fix their problems with that kind of customer? The bike is sound they just need to tighten up on their QC. Which they wont do if they have no incentive to. You might as well put a sign on your back that says KICK ME.

Back