• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to me 2003 F650CS

J

jimcameron

Wow! I just took delivery of a "new to me" Scarver. Neat bike. Getting to the battery to hook up my pigtails seems to be a bit of a pia, any easy way?

No centerstand, no accessory socket. I quess it is all about "aftermarket" income. Any suggestions on those two items?

Last heckle. It came with a Riders Manuel, but no maintenance schedule/record book. I can't imagine it didn't have one when new, but then again, it doesn't have the two basics above.

Anyway, looking forward to enjoying my 7th BMW in 26 years of BMW ownership.

If any guru's are in the Annapolis area, I am a lunch buying pupil.

jkc

The battery is a PITA to get to. But perhaps that is a blessing since the scarver was not built to add electrical accessories. I added some and even underway it was a struggle to maintain 12 volts on the ammeter. I added the digital ammeter.

Best accessory would be a top case. GIVI makes one that is perfect for the 650CS.

Real good news - I used to get near 70 mpg if I eschewed performance awards.

thanks Paul

Thanks, Paul

I just want to be able to keep the trickle charger on the bike when appropriate. I might also like to plug in my vest in the "brisk" months. Other than that, no electronics for me. I have a bike to get lost and be unable to get ahold of. If I dont know where I am, all the better. I seem to be able to find my way home sooner or later.

jkc

Maintenance Manual

Wow! I just took delivery of a "new to me" Scarver. Neat bike. Getting to the battery to hook up my pigtails seems to be a bit of a pia, any easy way?

No centerstand, no accessory socket. I quess it is all about "aftermarket" income. Any suggestions on those two items?

Last heckle. It came with a Riders Manuel, but no maintenance schedule/record book. I can't imagine it didn't have one when new, but then again, it doesn't have the two basics above.

Anyway, looking forward to enjoying my 7th BMW in 26 years of BMW ownership.

If any guru's are in the Annapolis area, I am a lunch buying pupil.

jkc

I have a 2005 F 650 CS and can copy parts of maitenance manual you are interested in and PDF to you..

Maintenance Manual

I have 2005 F 650 CS and can PDF you parts you are interested in..

Hi Jim,
There is a nice clean option for your pigtail to the battery. I'm guessing that on your bike just above the ignition key that the piece with the 4way flashers looks like this

293268759_2WRbV-L.jpg

If you go to the BMW store you can order part #71 60 7 664 866. It comes with a new dash piece and the needed wiring harness to connect to your bike. After you install it your bike will look like this.

293267145_2DsFA-L.jpg

As for the centerstand there are a couple of options. Off of the top of my head I can remember 2 companies that make a centerstand for the CS. The one I have is a SW-Motech centerstand. Hepcko-Becker also makes a centerstand. Here is a couple of pic's of my SW-Motech. It has been on the bike for a few years and about 30k miles so it doesn't look new anymore.

52370376_YBWf8-L.jpg

52370392_ZUZbC-L.jpg

It makes it much easier to do things like this. Look Ma, no wheels :D

224660787_yeDJh-L.jpg

The battery is a PITA to get to. But perhaps that is a blessing since the scarver was not built to add electrical accessories. I added some and even underway it was a struggle to maintain 12 volts on the ammeter. I added the digital ammeter.

Best accessory would be a top case. GIVI makes one that is perfect for the 650CS.

Real good news - I used to get near 70 mpg if I eschewed performance awards.

Hi Paul,
You mentioned back when you had your CS that you had trouble with the charging system. I still say that your bikes charging system was not working correctly. The CS has a 400 watt alternator. That is plenty to run extra accessories. Heck my K1100LT only has the 400 watt alt. and I have accessories out the wazhoo on it. Even running, high beam, heated grips, and an electric jacket on my CS have never caused a problem. The only thing that would draw the battery down is if I where to run everything while idling around town. The charging system seems to start making full power with the RPM's kept above 3500. I usually ride around town at 4000 so I am always in the green as far as charging is concerned.

I am thinking about riding my CS back to Gillette this summer instead of taking the K1100LT. The K bike gets 40-45 mpg and the CS gets 65-70 mpg. With the price of gas that is enough difference to leave the land yacht at home and take the thumper.

Bringing CS to Rally

I am bringing my CS to the rally. I have added softbags to it, a bestrest cargo rack and I am in the middle of addiing highway pegs. I am still researching the pegs and looking for pics of the best way to do it. 65 MPG is the way to go. I just hope we don't have many windy days, so it will make for a great trip.:clap

You don't need no stinkin centerstand...

I had an '03 Scarver. LOVED IT!! - put 8K miles on it (crashed it, repaired it, rode it some more). At first I was puzzled by the lack of centerstand, until I realized that it didn't NEED one. There's no chain to oil, which is the main reason for one on a smaller bike.

A centerstand just adds weight, and is an extra expense. So, before you decide you MUST have a centerstand, just ride it and keep it and figure out if there are any situations that a centerstand is a must have on the bike.

P

Hi Paul,
You mentioned back when you had your CS that you had trouble with the charging system. I still say that your bikes charging system was not working correctly. The CS has a 400 watt alternator. That is plenty to run extra accessories. Heck my K1100LT only has the 400 watt alt. and I have accessories out the wazhoo on it. Even running, high beam, heated grips, and an electric jacket on my CS have never caused a problem. The only thing that would draw the battery down is if I where to run everything while idling around town. The charging system seems to start making full power with the RPM's kept above 3500. I usually ride around town at 4000 so I am always in the green as far as charging is concerned.

I am thinking about riding my CS back to Gillette this summer instead of taking the K1100LT. The K bike gets 40-45 mpg and the CS gets 65-70 mpg. With the price of gas that is enough difference to leave the land yacht at home and take the thumper.

But to get 70mpg you have to keep within speed limits or less. :laugh

The CS failed me on a couple of occasions. Once the battery failed - one of the cells just died - never had that happen before on any battery either two wheels or a cage. The real coup de gras was having to coast down hill to a house where I saw a motorcycle parked.

I could not start my machine and the owner of the house and motorcycle came out and gave me a jump start off his motorcycle - a Harley Davidson. Have always had a warm spot in my heart for Harley owners after that.

So I traded it in on a GS. I loved that machine but the love was unrequited. :heart

Back