• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Signature line restrictions, WTF

It all started with a few folks objecting when they were told they couldn't have commercial advertisement in their sigs - then mushroomed into a great case of no I won't and you can't make me, followed by a rule to answer the question nobody answered.

I don't see sig lines, since I turned off that option. This place became a lot prettier. :whistle

It all started with a few folks objecting when they were told they couldn't have commercial advertisement in their sigs - then mushroomed into a great case of no I won't and you can't make me, followed by a rule to answer the question nobody answered.

Good synopsis Paul. The "you can't make me" part is still true. :D

I know I'm supposed to walk away on this...but...my sig line is not giant but neither is it compliant.

it was never intended to be something that you were compliant with or not. it was a *guideline* that gave a general sense of an approach that would suit the interests of most members. three lines, four lines, 200 characters, 250... it really doesn't matter as long as it's not one big "hey look at me" that takes up a lot of page space and makes it difficult to scan the content.

it really is an issue of how much one wants to attract attention to themselves vs. be respectful of other members and accepted practices of legibility.

unfortunately, it got blown up into this big "orwellian" subversion of fundamental individual liberties. :rolleyes

this has, unfortunately, turned a non-issue into just one more example why our forum just ain't quite there. yet.

ian

How many characters is the signature you wanted to use?

Here's what I wanted:
Gene Merritt - Ames, IA - BMWMOA#111610 - IBA#21886 - Webmeister, Bahnsturmers

"Hey you, with the helmet on. Go put gas in my bike." SRAB, June 25, 2005, West Salem, OH.

This is 244 characters, but it displays as 170 characters and it's only 3 lines long. So, I don't think it's obnoxious, or overly intrusive. And, users can toggle them off completely, although I've never found myself distracted by them...I know it's a .sig, so I mentally skip them anyway.

Actually, my original .sig was 5 lines long, and was nearly 400 characters, but that was probably a little excessive.

In summary, I don't have an issue with the 200 character limit, or the 3 line maximum, but I wish that the HTML code was excluded from the the character count, since the users never see it anyway.

Last edited:
Here's what I wanted:

"Hey you, with the helmet on. Go put gas in my bike." SRAB, June 25, 2005, West Salem, OH.

This is 244 characters, but it displays as 170 characters and it's only 3 lines long. So, I don't think it's obnoxious, or overly intrusive. And, users can toggle them off completely, although I've never found myself distracted by them...I know it's a .sig, so I mentally skip them anyway.

Actually, my original .sig was 5 lines long, and was nearly 400 characters, but that was probably a little excessive.

In summary, I don't have an issue with the 200 character limit, or the 3 line maximum, but I wish that the HTML code was excluded from the the character count, since the users never see it anyway.

:thumb

it was never intended to be something that you were compliant with or not. it was a *guideline* that gave a general sense of an approach that would suit the interests of most members. three lines, four lines, 200 characters, 250... it really doesn't matter as long as it's not one big "hey look at me" that takes up a lot of page space and makes it difficult to scan the content.

it really is an issue of how much one wants to attract attention to themselves vs. be respectful of other members and accepted practices of legibility.

unfortunately, it got blown up into this big "orwellian" subversion of fundamental individual liberties. :rolleyes

this has, unfortunately, turned a non-issue into just one more example why our forum just ain't quite there. yet.

ian

Sorry, I have to strongly disagree. It was not presented as a "guideline" at the board meeting I attended where it was approved. It was stated as policy.

This quote, from the forum titled User Conduct and Posting Policy, seems to support my point.

Sig lines

As the world changes we are working to adapt the forum to be increasingly useful for members. We've debated various sig line policies and would like to use the one below as an initial experiment. We may modify it in the future depending on how it works out.

This policy was then implemented by changes to the forum software which prevented any changes to current sig lines or new sig lines to be outside the policy.

And, as always, I remain sig line compliant.:D

Here's what I wanted:

I think you should have it. Anyone who would publicly admit to being a gas jockey for SRAB should be able to say so in their sig line. :clap

My signature line was shunk

My signature line was shrunk from about 10 lines to just a few lines. I just listed my rides (past and present). It can't be a matter of memory, it is more a appearance issue. I can see restrictions on the Sig Line, but I am not sure 200 characters is reasonable.

I am also a member of an HD blog and we are allowed to have elaborate graphics on the sig line. I tend to find that the images distract from the messages left on a thread.

but I wish that the HTML code was excluded from the the character count, since the users never see it anyway.

I will say it again, this can be done with the current options in vBulletin...

It's just a matter of whether or not the powers that be are willing to use this functionality.

What happened to the Signature guidelines? I had a nice four-line signature, and all I wanted to do was update an embedded URL and I was forced to reduce it to one line to meet the 200 character maximum.

Are the storage requirements so steep that we need a 200 character maximum, especially if that count must include the embedded URL code?

I should have just kept my grandfathered signature, instead of updating it. Phooey.

+1, same thing happened to me...

Just pointing out that your statement that "they can't make me", is untrue. They can and in my case did. :huh

Just pointing out that your statement that "they can't make me", is untrue. They can and in my case did. :huh

I don't believe we did. No one, that I know of, directly edited your signature. You may, however, have attempted to edit it yourself and then run into the new restrictions. :dunno

Mach One

Wow this is it, this is where we have come to, talking about Sig lines on a forum???

Personally, I think giant sigs are just plain tacky. MHO. YMMV. :dunno

Personally...I like em, gives me some indication what the person is like before i ever meet em.

Mostly boils down to a power play. IMO

Personally...I like em, gives me some indication what the person is like before i ever meet em.

Mostly boils down to a power play. IMO

:ha
With no power at stake, I don't see how that could be. This is a forum for a motorcycle club, not the U.N..

I don't believe we did. No one, that I know of, directly edited your signature. You may, however, have attempted to edit it yourself and then run into the new restrictions. :dunno

What you believe in this case is immaterial and has no basis in reality. You are entitled to think what you wish however your supposition is not based in fact. The fact that the system does not log who makes changes is greatly regrettable.

It simply stands that the sig lines folks have here on the forum are left at the sufferance of the mods.

Back