• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

trials and trails

Visian

look out!!!
it was in interesting weekend here in the southeast.

the USGP/Wagner Cup World Trials Championship was paying a visit to the trials training center in Sequatchie, TN (near chattanooga).

we buzzed up on friday afternoon, and found a campsite nearby. it was ok, but a little too close to the highway. after a little nosing around on saturday morning, though, we found a much better spot for the next time this event comes through.

tn_trials08_10.jpg

i rode the hp2 up there along with a good friend... as we planned to do a little exploring on sunday instead of attending the second day of the trials competition.

tn_trials08_1.jpg

it never ceases to amaze me what these people can do on a bike. this fellow had just scaled an 8-9' high wet, slippery vertical rock wall, and was heading down the other side... also near vertical.

his "minder" is the guy standing there next to him, whose job it is to catch the bike when things go bad and to tell him what's going on at the tire level. they had cool little bluetooth communicators to talk back and forth with.

tn_trials08_2.jpg

this young lady was a mid-tier rider. she "got fived" in this section... only the top-level riders cleaned it.

tn_trials08_7.jpg

me wants one... it's a skorpa by yamaha... a 250 4-stroke, gorgeous bike. it actually as a sittable seat, and looks to be an ideal play trail bike. that exhaust system is way trick.

08_SY250F_02.jpg

sunday was about 300 miles of tellico road, rainbow springs road, wayah bald, patterson gap, popcorn road and tray mountain road... in preparation for the dual-sport ride at the georgia mountain rally.

sorry, not much in the way of pics... we wuz *ridin'* !!

ian

Last edited:
i love the way trials bikes look, and i am amazed at what the riders can do on them. theyre like insects!

we were very fortunate to be able to sit so close. in europe and asia, these events have much greater attendance.

i do, however, need a better camera, and i really should have brought my video camera.

and if you think the bikes are crazy, you oughta see some of the minders jumping around on the rocks. those people are real athletes!

Raga was there at the event.

he had by far and away the most athletic minder... that guy just flitted from boulder to boulder, hanging on to trees, etc.

and from a machine perspective... i can't believe the pounding these lightweight bikes take. i am surprised that the spokes don't pull right out of the hubs, or that the frame doesn't just collapse.

I was hoping to see you on the HP2 doing that impossible circus act on the tight rope. :ha

Cool report! Those trails riders are a breed apart and those bikes are really neat. I wish my GS was a nimble....:rofl
I saw them in Sipapu NM last year, and I was amazed at the agility of rider and bike!!:thumb

I was hoping to see you on the HP2 doing that impossible circus act on the tight rope. :ha

heck, i can show you a magic balancing act just getting on and off the damn thing... or coming to a stop. a 30" inseam and 37" seat height make for some interesting maneuvers.... :)

Back