• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bing carbeuretor numbers

J

James.A

Does anyone understand the numbers on the bing vacuum carbs and what they mean? I have hung a set of 900 carbs(64/32/11&12) on a 750 (64/32/9&10) Carbeuretor #64/32/10 was ruined from holding water and the 900 set was "handy". The bike now performs in-consistenly. Any and all opinions gratefully accepted.

bing carbs

Get the tuning manual from Bing Agency International. There tech line number is 620-767-7844 or on their web site at bingcarburetor.com. This manual has helped me a lot. Good luck.

woodnsteel said:
Does anyone understand the numbers on the bing vacuum carbs and what they mean? I have hung a set of 900 carbs(64/32/11&12) on a 750 (64/32/9&10) Carbeuretor #64/32/10 was ruined from holding water and the 900 set was "handy". The bike now performs in-consistenly. Any and all opinions gratefully accepted.

According to my Bing Manual there a bunch of differences betweem the 9/10s and the 11/12s - most significant are different Slides, Main Jets, Needle Jets and Idle Mix settings but there are other differences (e.g., clip position, atomizer): the result is going to be, among other things, a much too rich fuel mixture (try pulling your spark plugs and see if they are carbon fouled). You should call Bing to confirm, but you should be able to switch out all of the parts for the correct ones (if you need new slides, they alone could cost $100 or more for both).

What exactly was ruined on the old set? Have you checked all of the internals to see if you can salvage parts for use with the 900 bodies?

64 means constant velocity type, either 26, 28, or 32 mm bore as determined by next number

94 is exclusively used for the 40mm cv carbs

next
32 (or 40) indicates the size of the carb, 32mm or 40mm bore, etc.

the remaining numbers indicate jetting when manufactured, and of course whether left- or right-side carb. These numbers are no guarantee of anything, of course, since jets are easily changed. The list of things this refers to includes slide, main jet, needle jet, atomizer, idle jet, throttle valve, throttle shaft, float bowl, clip position, and type of starter carb, i.e. "choke."

Thanks for the info. When I dropped the float bowl on the carb, the only color I saw was orange. The needle was rusted in the jet and the clip was rusty enough that the needle seperated from the slide. No kidding, this is as bad as anyone can imagine. The opinion here locally is that the carb is RUINED. I suppose the best low budget strategy would be to try to find a 64/32/10 to re-build. The left hand(64/32/9) carb is clean inside. Remarkably, the spark plugs look to be running lean. I guess those "handy" 900 carbs are needing a re-build too. Much work yet to be done.

Back