Thread: Huh??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mgalie

Question Huh??

Ok, folks. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I do know what it's like.

It's as if the clutch cable grew.

Suffered the dreaded clutch spline failure on my K75s and installed a new transmission.

After installation, I cannot adjust my clutch.

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/sidestand...h-adjust.shtml
    As per, ibmwr, I set the exposed cable length to 75mm, but it's just way too much slack. I've set the trans end screw to both extremes (and some points in the middle), to no avail. Squeezing the clutch grip just send the barrel at the trans slipping off the fork.

I am completely baffled.

What could cause such a thing and how to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by mgalie View Post
    Ok, folks. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I do know what it's like.

It's as if the clutch cable grew.

Suffered the dreaded clutch spline failure on my K75s and installed a new transmission.

After installation, I cannot adjust my clutch.

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/sidestand...h-adjust.shtml
    As per, ibmwr, I set the exposed cable length to 75mm, but it's just way too much slack. I've set the trans end screw to both extremes (and some points in the middle), to no avail. Squeezing the clutch grip just send the barrel at the trans slipping off the fork.

I am completely baffled.

What could cause such a thing and how to fix it?

Dumb question but... are you sure that the cable end is properly seated in the swing arm housing. I.e. The ball end on the cable housing is not below the housing.
    Don't ask me how I know this can be a problem
    Roy G.
    85 K100RT Ol Ruby "Gone but not forgotten"
    02 K1200LTC Hoss "Wrecked on 9/21/14"
    12 R1200RT

mgalie
    No, just checked; it's definitely seated. The cable just has waaay too much slack (even with the swing arm resting on the muffler) and there isn't much room left on the adjuster up by the grips.

Getting the cable off the swing arm should involve prying the swing arm up and some grunting, but it's just like swatting a fly.

The cure would be a shorter cable, but what the heck changed from two weeks ago when it worked? Sure, new trans, new swing arm, but that shouldn't change anything relevant.

Darn good question. Did you remember to install the clutch push rod? If you swapped trannies was this possibly missing. I am just looking at the more obvious possibilities and will let the experts help you get it fixed.

I have been told that on the K75 this pushrod is installed from the engine side of the tranny.
    Roy G.
    85 K100RT Ol Ruby "Gone but not forgotten"
    02 K1200LTC Hoss "Wrecked on 9/21/14"
    12 R1200RT

mgalie
    You're right, the K75 push rods come out of from the engine side. The new tranny had a different style rod, so I swapped it along with the ball bearings, pressure piston and bush (PN 14) from the old tranny.

One concern I had was I wasn't sure if I had tapped #14 onto the rod far enough, but it's hard to know when the clutch cable is too slack to pull the fork up.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...74&hg=21&fg=10

Quote Originally Posted by mgalie View Post
    You're right, the K75 push rods come out of from the engine side. The new tranny had a different style rod, so I swapped it along with the ball bearings, pressure piston and bush (PN 14) from the old tranny.
    The K75 pushrod has a shoulder at the clutch end that the K100 doesn't. The shoulder is what prevents it from being removed from the rear of the transmission. Since this is a K75 - hopefully the pushrod with the shoulder was used (and the shoulder is what pushes on the clutch spring, and sets the release position.)
    One concern I had was I wasn't sure if I had tapped #14 onto the rod far enough, but it's hard to know when the clutch cable is too slack to pull the fork up.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...74&hg=21&fg=10
    Your comment on #14 is a puzzle to me.

IIRC the step on that end of the pushrod is a machined section of the rod.. #14 appears to be simply a bushing the bearing runs against. It shouldn't need tapping on I believe.. it should slide down to the shoulder on the rod (don't have a rod here to look at - so this is by old memory.. - which means I could be remembering wrong.. it's been a while since I had one apart..)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!