• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I-Pass toll violation returning from rally

kioolt

I just received today (4/26/08) a toll violation notice from the Illinois Tollway Authority for 3 violations that occured while returning from the West Bend rally in July of 07. I thought that the reader just didn't get my EZ Pass transponder and that I would never hear about it again. I hope that I can clear this up. Illinois is in the EZ Pass interagency group so I should be ok. Has anyone else had any trouble with using their EZ Pass in Illinois?

I ride all over the USofA and never think twice about whether or not mine is good in every state. So far So Good! I never see a charge on my e-pass bill either :thumb

There is an uproar in the Chicago papers over the last few weeks as the company contracted to find toll violators is still working on violations from 2006. People have been getting notices for multiple violations with (now) hundreds of dollars in fines attached to them. Oh, and the contractor only seems to have about four people assigned to their customer service phone number. :laugh

Anyway, you just need to call the IL toll authority number (http://www.getipass.com), talk to a supervisor, and pay the $1.20 you owe IL. Don't pay any fines since it was obviously an equipment violation.

Does Illinois recognize the "EZ-pass"? Just curious because I was under the belief that it does not. If go over the Skyway I believe that is also a separate toll system.

Welcome to Illinois..

Illinois does accept the EZ Pass. It's very hard to find on the I-Pass website but if you do a search there for EZ Pass you will find two news releases that explain it. It's not too hard to find on the Maryland EZ Pass site.

I talked to customer service today about my problem. I was told that I would have to document that I did have a valid Maryland EZ Pass account at the time of the violation. I have downloaded the necessary information from my Maryland account and I will be faxing it to them. BTW it took 48 minutes on hold to talk to someone.

Good luck and remember There is only one letter difference between IDOT and IDiOT

Like Jdiaz stated, there is one heck of an uproar in Chicago over this. My son lives in the burbs and his I-Pass doesn't make any noise to let you know if it was read or not?

I don't know anything about the EZ Pass. (so, instead of researching myself, I'll just ask) Is this something that would be useful for us as we cover 32 States in our tavels this summer? Due to some time lines we cannot make the best use of secondaries so toll roads will play a role. Sounds like it would be convenient of course but for the cost ....? -Bob

tourunigo:

Illinois I-Pass requires $20 deposit + starting fund (I believe it is $20). Local grocery store dispenses these at, I believe $7 as their user fee. You have to use the credit card to activate. I am not sure if they send it via mail, they probably do, you might have to check their website. At the end of your trip, you can return it back to them and get refund of $20 + money left in your account.

I'm glad, I have couple of the old ones, bigger, but it displays the amount pending and amount charged (not that I check), and a beeping sound when I pass through the toll system. If the funds are below, I believe $10, it has a different beep advising you to replenish your account soon.

I don't have any I-Pass mounted on my motorcycle, but my motorcycle is registered with my I-Pass account. I simply go through their non-stop lanes, and it automatically deducts the funds. However, if I go through the manual lanes, then I have to pay. Double amount.

Double Amount - if you don't have I-Pass you pay double when going through the manual lanes. But not if you have I-Pass and you go through the manual lanes. IDOT wants your $20, so they can invest and make money!! They encourage you to get one. Activation with a credit card, gaurantees them that you never owe any money to them, but they owe you. I still manage to pay via cheque/check [Canadian / US friendly words].;)

EZ Pass web site

EZ Pass is used in 12 states. The Indiana and Illinois I-Pass have reciprocal agreements with EZ Pass states. Many states give you a toll discount, so you're saving money and time by using it. We plan to get one before the trip also. They tell me you have to ask for a weather proof external unit which goes on your bike dashboard somewhere, not the windsheild.

http://www.ezpass.com/static/info/facilities.shtml

I don't know anything about the EZ Pass. (so, instead of researching myself, I'll just ask) Is this something that would be useful for us as we cover 32 States in our tavels this summer? Due to some time lines we cannot make the best use of secondaries so toll roads will play a role. Sounds like it would be convenient of course but for the cost ....? -Bob

You can get one from Maine, Bob. They're useful everywhere in the northeast US.

Back