Thread: R1200GSA Loose headlamp assy - Normal?

R1200GSA Loose headlamp assy - Normal?

I have a question about R1200GSA's - 2007

During last years trip to Alaska I noticed that on dirt roads I could hear what I thought was the instrument cluster hitting the stops as it bounced up and down.

Looking at it closer it's not just the instruments that are loose, I can get hold of the front of the headlamp assembly and move it (easily) up and down about 1/4". i.e. the headlamp and instrument cluster rotate.

I then checked my wife's R1200GS and it's the same.

Is this normal? If not, how do I tighten it up?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Roger
    Last edited by RogerA; 04-21-2008 at 01:23 PM.
    2011 R1200 GSA
    1972 R75/5
    2009 Triumph Thruxton
    MOA/IBA/AMA

Bump

Can someone go and wiggle the headlamp on their GS and let me know how much ot moves

Thanks!
    2011 R1200 GSA
    1972 R75/5
    2009 Triumph Thruxton
    MOA/IBA/AMA

I just went and checked my 07 GSA and I could get some slight movement with some pressure. It seems to be rubber mounted. Mine always returned to it normal postion after I tried to move it. I have no noise or does it seem to move while riding.

Quote Originally Posted by RHedman View Post
    I just went and checked my 07 GSA and I could get some slight movement with some pressure. It seems to be rubber mounted. Mine always returned to it normal postion after I tried to move it. I have no noise or does it seem to move while riding.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I just had a better look and there is an attachment at the bottom center of the headlamp, on both bikes that is very loose, I guess it's back to the dealership
    2011 R1200 GSA
    1972 R75/5
    2009 Triumph Thruxton
    MOA/IBA/AMA

Had a simular issue with my 07 GSA. There are two (2) adjustments than can be performed. Up and down, and left to right. There are adj knobs that you can turn to make these adjustments.

Internally, if the ball end of the adj arm comes out of the socket (don't know the correct techincal terms) then you are up the creek, and will most likely require a new headlamp assy. I had both adj balls come out of their sockets. I was able to get the l/r ball back into the socket, but not the up/down. The internal lamp housing just wiggles around. Sounds something like your situation.

Dealer replaced and BMW covered under warranty.

bob

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Mine is firm but it does move. Keep in mind the adjusters have a little slack,.

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.