• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2008 Get-in-Shape/Weight Loss thread

knary

looking for a coal mine
(Piggy backing on Dave's Weight Watchers thread)

My short story:
I was always the perpetually lean kid growing up. I graduated high school 5'11" and almost 165 lbs. As the years rolled on, I slowly added a pound or two. The numbers started to add up. A little over three years ago, my love of life (aka bacon and wine) culminated in an Arts residency. All I did was paint - and eat and drink. After 6 weeks of gourmet meals and a deep wine cellar, I broke 200 lbs. For someone with my frame, I was downright fat.

That summer, feeling the need to not die earlier than necessary, I rediscovered bicycles. For the following three years, I was involved with Team in Training, first as a participant and then as a mentor. Riding centuries was the game. Soon I was down to a healthy 175 lbs. My resting heart rate was in the 50's and to fuel all the riding I was eating more than 6k calories a day.

But then I started on the studio. The very physical work built an appetite but burned very few calories. On top of that, when a friend stays with you for a week to lend a hand, you end up at that greasy spoon down the street. Portion sizes are large, calories and fat loads even larger. Making it worse, I had no time to ride. Then with winter, no inclination. I got fatter. For me, I am fat. I know I don't look it, but, again, I'm not a big guy. The dead giveaway is when my beard starts to demarcate where my chin should be. :bluduh

So it's time to get back in shape. Who's with me?

Step 1. Eat better - cut back portion sizes, eat more regularly, and avoid the restaurants.
Step 2. Get back on the bicycle.
Step 3. Start a modest weight training regime.

The annoying twist is that I've developed what is currently being diagnosed as tendonitis in my right shoulder. Mobility is limited. But the Vicodin makes me happy. :ha

My first weigh in:
4/21/08, 195 lbs

Who's with me? Peer pressure can be a good thing. :evil

(Piggy backing on Dave's Weight Watchers thread)

My first weigh in:
4/21/08, 195 lbs

i'll do it too. i spent almost three hours tonight playing a fierce game of soccer. i rode my bike to and from, it felt really good.

check out the sick soccer ball mark that is still on my arm, 4 hours later:

283244714_WJwCg-M.jpg

4/22/08, 204lbs

i'm not looking for anything crazy, 190-195 would be great.

I'm fat. 6' 1" and just under 210 lbs.
Joining the gym in two weeks and gonna get ripped.
No more bacon and ice cream.

I'm not fat, I'm big boned

Oh wait, perhaps a little pudgey

Anyway, if I cut back on the hoppy beverages and perform some portion control...

I'm in

fat but healthy?

The question is how do you feel. Having a little extra weight (I mean a little 10 or so more pounds then youe high school weight) when you get older may be okay as long as you're active and taking care of your self.

I'll admit to weighing in at 216#, at just a touch over 6'1". (Used to be 6'2" - that extra inch of height translated into several inches of girth.) I got a Concept 2 rower that gives a good workout. Need to do that 3-4 times a week, and need to pass on the motorcycle occasionally and pedal the road or mountain bike around. That is a great way to get prolonged aerobic exercise.

I'm in!

Growing up, I was always the thin one in my family however I have a cess pool in the way of a gene pool. When my family hits 30, the weight starts creeping. I am now 41 and over weight. Dieting doesn't seem to help and the doc just diagnosed me with a fatty liver which isn't helping the situation. The fact that I work for the largest food service company in the world certainly doesn't help either.

I am trying to get out and walk three times per week. Also watching the foods I eat and cutting portions.

I'd rather not say what I weigh (it's a girl thing!). It's been proven that if you go about this with a support group, you will be more successful. If I may, I suggest we all give it one month and post our successes.

I'll join in. Maybe this will work for me.

I was 5-11 and 175 when I graduated High School. Had a 28" waist.

When I graduated College I was 180 and had a 28"-30" waist.

When I got married 11 years later I was 194 lbs.

Now I am 5-10 and 264 lbs. Not just fat. Obese.

When I was single, I did my computer job by day, National Guard one weekend a month, and police work the other weekends and some evenings. I ate when I got hungry and there was food around. Never on a regular schedule.

Now, I eat 3 meals a day, sit behind a computer all day, and go home so mentally exhausted I do nearly nothing. Add to that I am a stress-eater, and my job and home life stresses me beyond the max.

I am going to concentrate on exercise - I already watch what I eat.

Here is me (on the right) in early 1984 and maybe 182-185 lbs:
police.jpg

Here is me at my current weight:
me_far.jpg

I am in. 5'11" 262lbs.
If you read the WW thread I was 302 in January. So I am sorta in by default. I will admit I have been slacking as of late. Not eating worse. Just not exercising like I should.

I'm 5'10" and 164 as of last Friday. I've been as high as 185, about 5 years ago, but in college weighed about 145. For the past 23 years, I've been a runner (a "jogger" now) and it's been the best thing to keep the weight off for me.

Low fat diets are tough. I'll admit too, that the Atkins thing can only last so long. Now, I just watch my intake of fats and sweets. I allow myself a cookie or piece of pie once in a while, but I really try not to eat 4 cookies or 2 pieces of pie. A little restraint goes a long way, and you can still have a treat once in a while. I also try to eat until I'm "satisfied" not until I'm "full" (or uncomfortably so). I hate it when I eat too much and end up lying in bed unable to sleep, scolding myself and feeling like I've got a brick in my stomach.

Yep.

Posted my details in Kbasa's thread last week (lost another lb since :D )

I've decided to add Bicycling to the new repertoire and in Central Park did about 10 miles on top of a 3 mile run last Saturday.

Good motivator, Scott.

My first weigh in:
4/21/08, 195 lbs

Hey knary and all,

I guess I jump started this project so I am already in.

May, 1963, graduated high school at 6' and 185 lbs after 4 years of track and cross country, in great shape. Retired last May, 2007 at 62 years old. Started the health checkup routine. October, 2007, checkup showed 248 lbs and a blood sugar of 148. (Normal on the sugar is 80-112) Dr. used the D word. No choice, radical diet and life style change. I really miss the beer. Exercise is too much like work.

April 22, 2008, this morning, 217 lbs and blood sugar at 102. The goal is to get to 200 lbs before the National. I hope I can inspire others to get healther. I do feel much more healthy, have more energy and am sleeping better. :clap

Time for my 5 mile walk. Keep at it, folks. :thumb :thumb

tb

Hey knary and all,

I guess I jump started this project so I am already in.

May, 1963, graduated high school at 6' and 185 lbs after 4 years of track and cross country, in great shape. Retired last May, 2007 at 62 years old. Started the health checkup routine. October, 2007, checkup showed 248 lbs and a blood sugar of 148. (Normal on the sugar is 80-112) Dr. used the D word. No choice, radical diet and life style change. I really miss the beer. Exercise is too much like work.

April 22, 2008, this morning, 217 lbs and blood sugar at 102. The goal is to get to 200 lbs before the National. I hope I can inspire others to get healther. I do feel much more healthy, have more energy and am sleeping better. :clap

Time for my 5 mile walk. Keep at it, folks. :thumb :thumb

tb

:clap
Wow.

Tom man you INSPIRE me.

I started gaining when I got very sick a bit over 3 years ago.

Tom -- way to go. Almost down to 200. That's great.

Vince..... once 190, now 275.

I'm setting a simple goal for me prior to the rally.
A. Ride a century -gulp-
B. Drop below 180 lbs again.

If I can put on nearly 20lbs as fast as I have, dammit, I can drop nearly that much in 3 months. :ha

Since January, I have been at the YMCA about 4 days per week. I've been taking classes called Y-Pump, CardioKick and Boot Camp (my masochistic personal fave).

They involve weights, running, sprints, sit ups, push ups, jumping, kicking, punching and lots of out-of-breath moving.

My weight hasn't really changed. Actually, it's gone up. They say that muscle weighs more than fat, but I'd sure like to see the numbers go down. I kept a food journal from January to March and wrote down everything I ate. It kept me responsible; if I didn't want to write it down, I didn't eat it.

I'm joining your ranks, and hoping to drop a few dress sizes by Gillette. Kudos to all of you, and I'm welcome to any tips anyone wants to offer.

I'm 5' 11"

1993 Pre-marriage weight 175 lbs

1998 Pre-buliding my own house weight 195 lbs

1999 Post building my own house weight 183 lbs

March 2007 Living the good life weight gain - 225 lbs.

Today - 198 lbs - Since last March I just got tired of my fat self. My 36" pants were starting to get tight. My doctor was concerned that my chlorestol slipped above 200. So I re-incorporated exercise and diet (?) into my lifestyle. I started out Walking and useing an eliptical machince 3-4 days per week. Last November I started jogging and I couldn't run 200 yards without being out of breath. Just last week jogged 3.5 miles. (Pretty good during the pollen and allergy season) It's been slow going, and I probably could do better with my dieting, but I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I'm headed in the right direction. My next goal is 190 and I'll set a new one after that.

I started gaining when I got very sick a bit over 3 years ago.

Tom -- way to go. Almost down to 200. That's great.

Vince..... once 190, now 275.
Thanks, Vince, but I don't think that 217 is "Almost 200." I still have more to lose. The first 20 came off fairly quickly and the rest has been a struggle. If I am below 205 when I leave for the National, I will consider it a victory. Problem: Depart for Greece on May 5 and return on May 30 with the wife on a student art tour. It will be harder to diet away from home. :eat

tb

I'm in, 5'11", 195+. I weighed 170 when I graduated, but have added muscle mass doing construction work for 20+ years, so I'm going to cut myself some slack. I should be closer to 180, so portion sizes, walkiing/jogging, no more evening snacks :)doh ), and cut down on sweets. I'm told I need to chew more slowly, and enjoy the meal, as I have a habit of eating like it is a race. That would probably help in itself.

Back