• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Bum on a Bikes cranking miles...

Thanks for the reply regarding the flat. I'm always interested in the thought process when faced by a situation like that and it helps to know what an experienced rider, like yourself, would do in that situation.

And then another excellent ride report as a bonus. :thumb

2000 mile side trip with an Australian on Standing on his Head

Last edited:
Page 2... lot of sweaty riding

Next morning the UFO left some Ruins to visit
ChacoRuinDetail.jpg

chacoruins.jpg

JinxChacosCanyon.jpg

The advanced Tech at the ruins
UFOsignChacos.jpg

Riding out of Chacos Cayon
Chacorodeout.jpg

MikeRideChacoout2.jpg

MikeRideChacoout3.jpg

JinxRideChacoout.jpg

MikeRideChacoout.jpg

JinxRideChacoout2.jpg

Good old Hwy to Hell
666sign.jpg

Painted Desert
Jinxpainteddesert.jpg

The original road 66
Route66old.jpg

Route66NM2.jpg

More to come later today..

Thanks for the pix and ride report. Surprised to not see more snow in the picture of the rock slide tunnel just south of Ouray. My riding buddy went up Yankee Boy Basin yesterday and said the snow was 15' high on the side of the road and they could only go as far as the restrooms before turning back.

Looks like you had a great time and good weather.

Looking forward to more.

I'm finally getting caught up on the forums after being away/busy for a while. Looks like you have a great trip coming up very soon! I have heard two possibly important things about the Trans-Taiga Road. First, gravel/loose sand/dirt gets piled up fairly deep in some of the turns, so watch out for that. I read that somewhere (can't find it, now), although I think the person posting wasn't on much of a dual sport bike. The other thing is regarding fuel. I've heard people have made it to Nouchimi Outfitters and found that there was nobody there. They waited a few hours until someone finally arrived to turn the pumps on. I have no first hand experience, but they were told that someone may not be there every day. I'm not sure how you would verify if they will be there or not, but you obviously don't want to get stranded up there with no fuel. I think getting fuel at "Mirage Outfitters" may be hit or miss, as well.

Oh, and be REALLY prepared for blackflies. I ran into some just on the north side of Lake Huron this year, and last year in July I hit some once I reached Highway 109. I carried bug spray which kept them from biting me, but there were still a terrible nuisance. I had one of those head nets but I didn't end up using it. I was only really outside of my tent for an hour or two. Make sure to spray your clothing and check yourself out before getting into your tent so you don't bring in a few thousand bloodthirsty friends. :)

I look forward to seeing your photos when you return! :thumb

OUTBACKUFO.....great pictures and maps as well. Excuse my lack of PC savy. How did you attach Maps to this thread. Step-by-step please! By the way I plan to transit the TLH too sometime in July but coming counterclockwise. Hope to meet you. I am riding a 1200 GS stuffed to the hilt and hailing from NC.

Thanks for the heads up on the gasoline issue... i will probally ring them and email them to see what there schedul is when i get closer to Radisson... I can do 750KMs so if i have to wait a day for fuel i wait and photograph.... from a web page that i have gas seems to be a bit more redible at the two places... will call ahead as always...

the black flies dont get me anymore... dealt with them and the mozzies up in AK and YT/NWT. I have a natrual alternative to DEET that works great and smells like citrus a bit... does not make you lips swell up if you get it on them... in AK and YT the mozzies would bit through my jacket but only come in close to my exposed sink that had the citrus stuff on it and fly away...only got one bite in AK last time... just you have to put the stuff on more often is all... i got a decent system to get in my tent by placing a head lamp on the far side of my wind drape shield i then get in and with only hand reaching out turn off the head lamp and get in... in the day time i get under the wind shield but not in to see if any mozzies/BFlies followed then go in... a little extra protent never hurts for midnight snack :eat :p :D

I have some "natural" bug repellent as well; I think it's lemon and eucalyptus... works great for the mosquitoes, but I didn't try it for the black flies. I also haven't gotten any on my lips, so maybe I'll avoid that unless I'm trying for the collagen look for cheap. :p

I found that post I was talking about regarding road conditions and fuel on the James Bay Road website forum:

"He was riding a 1200 Goldwing with a sidecar and I have a 1990 BMW R100GS. The straight sections and the right hand curves were no problem [a little loose at times due to sand] but the left curves were another matter! The on coming traffic had pushed a lot of loose gravel into the right lane so at times it was 3-6" deep of very loose "stuff". I definately had trouble finding " the line" on the lefty's and almost went down a couple of times. Where I come from we would call it "B" gravel - a fair bit of sand that doesn't pack to well.The Vicar slid around a bit but overall he did well.Anyway, we made it to Nouchimi outfitters [km 286]. No one was there. The restaurant and large clubhouse was open- again no one around. Sooo... we had a "siesta" [some very comfy chairs] and waited. After 1 1/2 hrs we heard a vehicle come in. Some residents from east of Mirage were stopping in to use the washrooms - they said it was possible that we could be there a day or two before someone showed up! No sooner had he said that,another truck came in [owner,worker?] and fueled us up[$ 1.48 L] No food was available there. We decided to head back to Radisson. Going west I didn't have near as much trouble -guess I was getting used to the road and the siesta didn't hurt either. I believe I need to "brush up" on my gravel road riding. I've run the Dempster,Dalton and Trans Labrador roads on touring motorcycles in the '90's but not to much since then[south Canol in Yukon in 05.]There was not much traffic on the TTR and most on coming transport trucks slowed down -very nice."

The whole discussion is here, though I copied most of the important stuff.

Have a great ride! :thumb

You da Man..OUTBACKUFO...great teacher

Got it.....Indeed beautiful, now one last thing; How about MAPSOURCE(Garmin) or Google MAPS, not Earth...

Appreciate your brains..!

Thanks a gazillion

You da Man..OUTBACKUFO...great teacher

Got it.....Indeed beautiful, now one last thing; How about MAPSOURCE(Garmin) or Google MAPS, not Earth...

Appreciate your brains..!

Thanks a gazillion

dont know the others.... sorry... though i figure there is some type of similar function as with Google Earth...

Bike Prep ... Leaving on Tuesday

Last edited:
Getting a Ride in befoer taking off

Last edited:
Back