• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

summer storage

ISAMEMON

Grammarian no, Rider yes
yes hard to believe
thanks to an accident, not on a bike, I wont be able to ride for about 6 months

my son is coming down next weekend to help yhings out, move the bike etc. Is there anything different for summer storage ?
or just store it like a winter storage

never trhought I would have to store a bike this time of year

Sorry to hear that Isamemon. Get well soon and don't forget the forum. Keep that input coming and your chin up...

First - heal quickly. Sorry to hear about accident.

Warm weather storage? Never had to store on in warm months but there are a lot of differences. Warm weather will evaporate the gas much more quickly. The battery will also discharge faster just because it is warmer.

My best guess would be to get the gas out as much as possible and just as in winter hook up a battery tender.

Hang on for a few hours here and more answers will certainly arrive.

Fill the tank to the top add stabill, drain the float bowls. Depending where you live depends on what you want to due with the tank. If you in a low humidity all year round you could leave the tank emply.

I bought a bike out of Ca that was in storage with the tank empty for a few years and when I put the gas in the original liner started to lift. My thinking is if the tank is (make sure that the tank is free of water) fill it to the top with gas and add stabill. No air no rust.

I never like leaving any battery in a bike for long periods of time especially when there so easy to pull them.

If you live in a climate you ride 6 months out of the year and its humid I also like to fog the cylinders.

John

First - heal quickly. Sorry to hear about accident.

Warm weather storage? Never had to store on in warm months but there are a lot of differences. Warm weather will evaporate the gas much more quickly. The battery will also discharge faster just because it is warmer.

My best guess would be to get the gas out as much as possible and just as in winter hook up a battery tender.

Hang on for a few hours here and more answers will certainly arrive.

Hot Weather Storage

I am a Florida Snowbird - I fly away in the spring and come back
after Thanksgiving - leave /5s in florida in hot mobile home for 6
months each year - never a problem

1) Remove and empty gas tank leaving slight amount of slop
inside

2) Add dash of any ordinary motor oil to slop and slosh all over
inside of tank top, bottom and all around

3) Remove one gas tap and drain gas/oil mix into a container
and then into truck if looks clean

4) Remove float bowels and drain out completely dry

5) Replace float bowels or cork gasket will shrivel up

6) Remove Both wires and bolts from battery to keep
dissimilar metals apart - bat is full and charged

7) Clean top of battery carefully

8) Plug exhausts to keep out mice and sand dauber
wasps

I don't leave any power on in the shack so no
battery maintainer

Have done this each year since 1993 and other than
slow leaking tire never had to do more than put tank
back remove exhaust plugs, check bat water, pour in gas and go -
if bat was a bit weak just used the kick starter for first start.

Back