• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What's in Your Toolkit?

Jim..Weight?

condensed-kit-displayed-ope.jpg

Small kit.

Complete-tool-set.jpg

Full kit

Link to full list!

Jim :brow

You probably have mentioned it..but what does the 'big' kit weigh? Counting pounds off road...thanks.

I always carry a Sharpie felt-tip pen and some 3x5 note cards. I wrap a few feet of duct tape around the barrel of the Sharpie. I also carry some "field expedient" baling wire - cut-up pieces of wire coat hangers. My first aid kit has about a dozen pairs of rubber gloves, which can be handy when working on the motorcycle. There's a tiny sewing kit, too, although I doubt the needles are up to the task of taking on a Aerostich or elkskin leather gloves. I've also got a small fire extinguisher.

Great thread!

I took a roll of duct tape smashed it flat so it takes up less space and I also have a tube of PIG putty. I'm not sure if there are many who know what this stuff is so I'll explain, the company I work for is industrial and we use this stuff to patch holes in steel, pipes for dry products or for that matter anything that is worn of has a hole in it. It is along the lines of JB weld but it as it is a 2-part putty that you work together but it is grindable and is able to be sanded as well. The fact is this stuff would fill in a hole in your crank case fuel tank or most any material if you are able to make the surface dry. This is one of those repair items that you can fix something to just get home or to repair something you just can buy anymore.

Packs in 10ÔÇØ x 6ÔÇØ x 4ÔÇØ Cordura Bag - moves bike to bike

1/4ÔÇØ DRIVE ITEMS:
Sockets (mm) ÔÇô 13, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5
Allen Wrench Sockets (mm)ÔÇô 8, 6, 5, plus Torx T25, T30
Ratchet
Drive Handle
3ÔÇØ and 6ÔÇØ Extension

3/8ÔÇØ DRIVE ITEMS:
Sockets ÔÇô 19, 17, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10 set, plus 13 deep and 24
Allen Sockets (mm) ÔÇô 8, 6, 5, 4, plus Torx T40 and T45
Ratchet
Slide Handle
Universal Joint
3ÔÇØ Wobble Extension and 6ÔÇØ Extension
3/8" to 1/2" adaptor
12mm allen socket for Paralever
22mm allen tool for R1200/K1200 front axles

WRENCHES:
Stubby set (mm) ÔÇô 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8
Ratcheting Box End Stubby (mm) ÔÇô 13 and 10
Ignition Wrenches ÔÇô 90 degree open end (mm) ÔÇô 11, 10
Motolight Lens Ring pin wrench
Ball End Long Allen Wrenches
Folding Torx Drivers ÔÇô T30, T27, T25, T20, T15, T10

PLIERS:
Slip Joint
7ÔÇØ and 5ÔÇØ Slim Nose Vice Grip
Ignition Pliers
Combination (fold over) Needle Nose / Diagonal Cutter

OTHER:
Feeler Gauge Set
Magnetic Pickup / Screw Holding Screw Starter
Small Flat File
7ÔÇØ Tapered Punch
Hook Scribe
Inductive Spark Tester
Flexible Light
Combination Screwdriver ÔÇô 2 each Phillips and Straight Tips
Compact VOM with Slide-On Alligator Clips for the Leads
Shock Wrench Handle used as Extension Handle for ?¥ÔÇØ Ratchet or Slide Handle

Then, also:
Original BMW took kit for bike - stays in each bike

And

12v Cycle Pump
Tire Gauge
Compact Jumper Cables
Tire tools - plugs and patches
Tire Irons
Large C clamp for a bead breaker

Tool kit

Ok this is whatÔÇÖs in my tool kit well the most important things anyway The Anonymous book ,cell phone to call numbers in book, Visa card to pay for repairs and flashing battery powered red light to keep from getting run over till help arrives.

Oh yes I have the screw drivers, complete wrench set, ect. ect. but those are more for show than work. I know my limitations.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 519
Ok this is whatÔÇÖs in my tool kit well the most important things anyway The Anonymous book ,cell phone to call numbers in book, Visa card to pay for repairs and flashing battery powered red light to keep from getting run over till help arrives.

Oh yes I have the screw drivers, complete wrench set, ect. ect. but those are more for show than work. I know my limitations.

Well - cell phones and credit cards have "limitations" too :) At least mine do!

Packs in 10ÔÇØ x 6ÔÇØ x 4ÔÇØ Cordura Bag - moves bike to bike

1/4ÔÇØ DRIVE ITEMS:
Sockets (mm) ÔÇô 13, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5
Allen Wrench Sockets (mm)ÔÇô 8, 6, 5, plus Torx T25, T30
Ratchet
Drive Handle
3ÔÇØ and 6ÔÇØ Extension

3/8ÔÇØ DRIVE ITEMS:
Sockets ÔÇô 19, 17, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10 set, plus 13 deep and 24
Allen Sockets (mm) ÔÇô 8, 6, 5, 4, plus Torx T40 and T45
Ratchet
Slide Handle
Universal Joint
3ÔÇØ Wobble Extension and 6ÔÇØ Extension
3/8" to 1/2" adaptor
12mm allen socket for Paralever
22mm allen tool for R1200/K1200 front axles

WRENCHES:
Stubby set (mm) ÔÇô 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8
Ratcheting Box End Stubby (mm) ÔÇô 13 and 10
Ignition Wrenches ÔÇô 90 degree open end (mm) ÔÇô 11, 10
Motolight Lens Ring pin wrench
Ball End Long Allen Wrenches
Folding Torx Drivers ÔÇô T30, T27, T25, T20, T15, T10

PLIERS:
Slip Joint
7ÔÇØ and 5ÔÇØ Slim Nose Vice Grip
Ignition Pliers
Combination (fold over) Needle Nose / Diagonal Cutter

OTHER:
Feeler Gauge Set
Magnetic Pickup / Screw Holding Screw Starter
Small Flat File
7ÔÇØ Tapered Punch
Hook Scribe
Inductive Spark Tester
Flexible Light
Combination Screwdriver ÔÇô 2 each Phillips and Straight Tips
Compact VOM with Slide-On Alligator Clips for the Leads
Shock Wrench Handle used as Extension Handle for ?¥ÔÇØ Ratchet or Slide Handle

Then, also:
Original BMW took kit for bike - stays in each bike

And

12v Cycle Pump
Tire Gauge
Compact Jumper Cables
Tire tools - plugs and patches
Tire Irons
Large C clamp for a bead breaker

Wow!

When reading all of these posts, a question has come up--Is there such a thing as a list of all the fasteners on an 08 RT? For example, when compiling a toolkit, I don't want to carry a 19mm wrench if there's no 19mm nut on the bike. Conversely, I'd like to have a wrench/socket/extension/bit to get to everything I need to.

Any way to know all the tools needed specifically for THIS bike? Short of taking everything apart?

Wow!

When reading all of these posts, a question has come up--Is there such a thing as a list of all the fasteners on an 08 RT? For example, when compiling a toolkit, I don't want to carry a 19mm wrench if there's no 19mm nut on the bike. Conversely, I'd like to have a wrench/socket/extension/bit to get to everything I need to.

Any way to know all the tools needed specifically for THIS bike? Short of taking everything apart?

That's a tough one. I don't know of such a list.

That pack of stuff I carry is a lot. But it is intended to be moved from bike to bike - and contain what I need whether on my R1150R, K75, or F650. Or Voni's bikes too. Or somebody else's should they breakdown and need a hand beside the road or in a campground. It is easier for me to just move the bag to the bike I'm taking on a trip than to try to outfit three separate kits for my bikes. And for Voni's too because she might be riding her R1100S while I have my K75 or F650. So one bag for all bikes makes the most sense for me. And I occasionally have to buy a tool on the road. A broken clutch cable occasioned the need for a deep 13mm socket to turn the locknut on the clutch adjuster on an R1100RS. I didn't have one, but the hardware store - open on Sunday in a small town in New York - was open and had one. Now it is in the tool bag.

Are you planning on taking your bike apart at the side of the road? If not then you don't need every possible wrench, socket, torx bit, etc. You only need the tools for stuff that you can reasonably fix at the side of the road. Anything else can be purchased once you get the bike off of the side of the road.

My tool kit has stuff to do a basic service plus wrenches, sockets, bits, for all the things that might break or bend in a crash. Add in some tire plugs, tape, wire, jbstik, and cable ties. That will, hopefully, get me to a place where I can buy anything else I might need to get me home.... or rent a U-haul if it comes to that.

I've yet to find a way to get around a failure of the thing that has failed most in my modern bike history: the battery. There is a lot to be said for magnetos. :)

// marc

I carry a tire plugging kit (Stop N Go) and a mini air compressor (Slime) fitted with the BMW plug. A few weeks ago I had a flat rear tire due to a large nail.

I was so pleased with myself for being prepared with the above items. I pulled them out along with the factory provided "tool" kit and discovered that there were no pliers. I had no way to get the nail out of the tire.

Fortunately, there was another rider near by and he loaned me his Leatherman multi-tool which includes needle-nose pliers. I have used other knock-off multi-tools and have been underwhelmed with their quality, but the Leatherman is solid. I removed the nail, plugged and filled the tire and was on my way.

I highly recommend the Leatherman. It provides a lot of tools in a very compact package. There are several models to choose from.

Sorry, this is a bit wordy

In my home shop I have not one, not two but three snap-on rollaway tool boxes with top units full of tools.

On my 12RT I carry a tire plug kit with eight CO2 cartridges and my leatherman. If I can't ride this bike six thousand miles without working on it I will dump it and buy another Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo.

When the wife and I leave home two or three times a year for a three to six thousand mile vacation I have serviced and inspected the bike thoroughly before we leave.

Any catastrophic failure we may suffer en route would necessitate parts anyway and that means a trip to a dealer. I have full coverage insurance including emergency road service that promises to transport me to the nearest selling dealer for my particular brand of vehicle from anywhere in the United States.

I don't normally wrench on my vacations.

However in 1988 coming into St. George Utah on our '85 Suzuki GK1100 the clutch started slipping in high gear rollons. We limped it into the dealer in that fine city and were informed that there was a three day wait for a service appointment and that a clutch job took six to eight hours to perform. I laughed at the service writer and asked him to please confirm that this was a Suzuki Motorcycle shop. He did and I walked to the parts counter and bought a set of friction plates. The manager came out and asked what I had in mind and I told him I was going to replace the clutch plates in the dirt lot next door and continue on my trip. He stated it was illegal to drain oil out there and I told him I would not have to drain any oil.

He walked out and stood there watching as the wife and I laid our raingear on the ground and laid the bike down on top of it and I then popped off the clutch cover, pulled out the clutch plates and replaced the friction plates, put it all back together and stood the bike up. Elapsed time a shade over thirty minutes. The manager bought us dinner that evening and tried to hire me.

On my 12RT I carry a tire plug kit with eight CO2 cartridges and my leatherman. If I can't ride this bike six thousand miles without working on it I will dump it and buy another Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo.

I'd add cable ties, wire, electrical tape, duct tape, and JB stick: any or all of which might be needed to repair those things that get broken if the bike falls over. :deal

That's the kind of stuff that got a friend home after an SUV pushed his bike off of the center stand in a motel parking lot.

// marc

I agree Marchyman and I'll probably break down and add those items to my shaving kit. We only stay in motels that either allow us to take the bike inside the room with us or at least park it in a secure location such as under a stairwell or in the front of the lobby. We're going to Yellowstone this summer and have arranged to rent a Bronco 4X4 from Enterprise and they (Enterprise) will store the bike inside for us while we use the Bronco. I tried Yellowstone once years ago and had a narrow escape from an angry Buffalo bull. Won't try that two up. Better safe....

I'm in the midst of buying an R1200GS Adv. I was looking at this thread for some ideas for a toolkit for the GSA--the factory kit seems pathetic. I'm new to riding and have never had a 'breakdown', but more than once in my life I was glad to be prepared for the unexpected, e.g. a nail in the tire. It isn't a question of the realiability of the machine as much as it is a question of chance accident or unhappy circumstance.

My Plan A is a cell phone and credit card. But, and it's a significant 'but', many of the places I have ridden my RT there was no cell phone service. Nada. I can be out of cell phone coverage in about 20 minutes or less riding time from my garage. I kept the RT on pavement, mostly. I expect to take the GSA to even more remote places.

So I have Plan B: some tools, some spares, some duct tape, some water, and a willingness to fool around with them until help finds me or I can limp to civilization.

Thanks to all the posters who helped put this thread together!

Jack

Cruz Tools RoadTech B1

Got this right away as it's specifically made for the GS. I also pack a Cycle Pump.

:)

Attachments

• RTB1.jpg
    RTB1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 229
Back