• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anyone in UTAH going to Gillette?

geoffrey08

Just curious if anyone from Utah is going to the Gillette, Wyoming Rally this year and what route they are taking and when.

Toying with the idea of going, and, if I do, this will be my first rally so I am not sure what to expect, pack, or budget.

If I can go I would love to ride with a group.

Thanks!

Heidi and I will be going through Provo to Heber on Monday stopping for the day in Vernal Ut. Tuesday, we continue East on US 40 to Grandby Co, and through Rocky Mt Nat Park to Estes Park for the day, then Wed to Gillette. We are camping at KOA's on the way, and camping at the rally.

Camping is probably the most inexpensive method of traveling right now, just figure your fuel costs, meals, etc. Camping at the KOA's is around $22 or so a night. Camping at the nationa is included in your rally fee.

What will kill any budget you set will be the $ you spend with the vendors at the rally. There are always something you just have to have and did not know it until you found it at the rally.

The rally site is pretty close to you and you should really consider attending.

bob

Hey man. I'm planning on going. I'll be camping and I'm also a rally virgin! :thumb

I haven't set any solid dates to depart but I figure I might head out early Thursday morning. I'm planning on just taking the Google Maps route out I-80, 220, I-25, I-90. Should only take about 9 hours. Still trying to decide if it's worth it to leave Wednesday and get there early. I'd like to make Top of the Rockies the following weekend as well so trying to spread out my time off as much as I can.

If those schedules sound interesting to ya, let me know. I'd be happy to meet up in Draper and have some riding company.

I would start a running list right now to look over periodically and add to it as you think of things. There will be showers there so bring some rubber sandals and a towel and wash cloths etc. Cash is always good as is a credit card incase of mishaps or malfunctions. A map would be helpful but you can pick one up once you get to WY. As always, bring your anonymous book, insurance info and a medical card just in case. Also, ear plugs! Not only for the ride but also for some sleep. Of course a tent, sleeping bag, camp chair, flash light, etc. I'm sure there are more complete lists around here but that's just some things that I've picked up from reading posts.

As for budget, I don't really know. Just start walking through the trip in your head. Figure up enough for fuel obviously. Add in some more for scenic rides. Estimate food like you were eating out every meal. Tack on extra for swag and vendor stuff. That's probably a good start. I'll probably just make sure I have several hundred at my disposal and call it good.

-Cole

Cool.

If those schedules sound interesting to ya, let me know. I'd be happy to meet up in Draper and have some riding company.

-Cole

Fine by me, but, I gotta warn you that you will be majorly disappointed that I don't fit the description you wrote for ideal riding partners,"I usually prefer SWF's between 21 and 27. Smart, cute and a little fiesty!" :laugh

Let's keep each other posted on our dates and routes. Hopefully we can make it all work.

I may just register anyway, but, it will still be up in the air on whether I will actually get to go due to a lot of events coming up that I'm not certain of the dates yet. My 2 brothers and their families are coming out from Chicago and Indianapolis about that time.

In the meantime, let's get out on a ride together. I mostly ride my R1200C, but, I still have my '97 F650 and hope to possibly trade it in for a new GS Adventure someday.

Back