• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dunlop Roadsmart Tires

njnear

NJN EAR
I know this may be pushing it, but does anyone have any data points for the new Roadsmart tires from Dunlop on an RT? Or any similar machine would suffice.

I'm getting around 6k miles on the Michelins and I'd like to go twice that yet still have sticky sides.

I'm still running Michelin Pilot Roads, getting on average of 17-18k, at 42 lbs in rear and 36 in the front. Can't imagine those Michelin's not running any longer than they are for you. My 06 RT now has almost 42K on it and is only on thrd set.:doh

No Roadsmarts for me although I just spooned on a set of Pilot Road 2c. I've ran a few sets of Z6s and a set of Pilot Roads. I haven't seen 6k on a set. By then the rear is nearly at the nubs. I would love to get 18k out of a set of tires. We have a lot of chip sealed roads around here that probably are most of my consumption problem.

Most of my miles are hiway miles here in Arizona, I'm sure if I was riding a lot in city traffic they may not go as far. I was looking at the PR2s the other day, will go to them if there aren't any regular PRs left. My experience in the past with Dunlops on a K12LT was that they only went 5k, Metzeler ME880s went almost 16k but they aren't radials and aren't meant to handle like one.

I'm fortunate if I get 7k from a set of pilot roads dunlops were mebee 6k & steel was showing!!! I'm hoping the roadII's are better cause they are 50% more$$ than the plain roads...
Me? flogging myR1200r on backroads "just as hard as I can sir":bolt

Last weekend I replaced my original Dunlop Sportmax front tire with a Dunlop Roadsmart. The original tire had 8800 miles on it and still had some life left on it.

The new tire feels fine, but I haven't had a chance to really ring it out yet in these first hundred miles. The price was right on this tire, too. I bought it from Mororcycle Superstore for $113 with free shipping.

The local BMW dealer did have an awful time getting it to balance properly.

I will post my experience later when I have some miles on the tire.

A lot of great input.

I was ready to do the Dunlop Elite III (Goldwing tire). Had excellent luck with them on my Concours. Not as sticky, but mileage around 14k.

I thought about the PR2's, but if the Dunlop Roadsmarts are available, will likely give that a whirl.

Thanks again.

tires

2005 R1200RT 73558mi. 3 sets of pilot roads at 10 to 13,000 miles and 2 sets, second set still on, dunlop 220's at 8 to 11000 miles a set. next set is roadsmarts which will go on in another month. Both brands have been very good in rain. Acording to dunlops web site the roadsmarts are to replace the 220,s they also claim it is the best wet road tire they have ever made. been happy with both brands but dunlops are not as noisey.

Back