Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: K75 Shock choice

Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    He wants to upgrade the suspension on his K75. Can you think of a better upgrade to that suspension than replacing the entire bike with the ??ber fun R12R?

p.s. humor, it's better than that serious stuff
    That's pretty much what I did - just had an R1150RS for a short while in between the two..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Let's recycle this thread...

I don't know squat about shocks (add it to the long list of stuff I know squat about)

I've had the bike for 12 years, 50K mi, it came with this shock. Bike has 95K mi. Bumps in the road are stopping at my neck..ouch, maybe it's time for a new one.

I asked my mechanic about shocks and he said Ohlins...don't even see one for a K75 ...not that I'm going to fork out that kind of $$.

Maintaining it is not my strong suit, I want to set it and forget it for another 10 years.

Don't know what I've been running, but it seems to have served me well.

I await your words of wisdom.

Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    If you liked it before, look into getting it rebuilt. Wilbers uses blue springs, but that looks like a lighter blue. Call Klaus in NJ as one choice. http://www.epmperf.com/
    Last edited by tommcgee; 07-18-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer View Post

Don't know what I've been running, but it seems to have served me well.

I await your words of wisdom.
    That sure looks like my Works shock with remote reservoir, they are rebuild-able, http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html. May just need a good recharge.
    Last edited by 35634; 07-18-2010 at 03:12 PM.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

I purchased a 92 K75S recently. The plan was for the wife and me to fly out to California and ride the bike back to Ohio. Prior to flying out I called Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing and enquired about a replacement shock. I ended up with a YSS shock set up for the expected load.

The shock was easy to install and we had a blast riding the K75S across the country. The YSS as set up by Tom Cutter works well.

http://rubberchickenracinggarage.com/

Yeah, Gail; that's a Works shock much the same as mine (getting rusty and corroded around the joints).

They run 250psi of nitrogen in them; I'd suggest having a shop check the pressure and maybe top it up before going for a full rebuild (although with that many miles it sounds like it's time anyway).
    ---Jeff

ex: K75S Berlina R100GS/PD , K100RS , R75/5 , R60/2

Ugh, I need a shock too Still rolling on the original stock one.

Don't bother looking for a new Ohlins. I called and was told the K75 version has been discontinued.
    1994 K75/2

Owner/Designer, LampOneDesigns.com

yup, that is a Works Performance. It is due for a rebuild. Any competent wrench/shop that knows how to rebuild a shock should be able to handle it. you might want to call WP and see what they can tell you about it.
    good shock, as long as their limited spring selections are correct for your weight. I was dead in the middle between 2 spring choices, and could not get full range from either of the ones available.
    start off by reducing the preload- that looks to be set at "full load". the ramp should be settled in the uppermost slot of the adjuster)
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

[QUOTE=bikerfish1100;600165]yup, that is a Works Performance. It is due for a rebuild. Any competent wrench/shop that knows how to rebuild a shock should be able to handle it. you might want to call WP and see what they can tell you about it.
    good shock, as long as their limited spring selections are correct for your weight. I was dead in the middle between 2 spring choices, and could not get full range from either of the ones available.
    start off by reducing the preload- that looks to be set at "full load". the ramp should be settled in the uppermost slot of the adjuster)[
    /QUOTE]

If only I knew what this meant!
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

when i got a WP for my K11, i could go with either their 600lb spring or their 900 lb one. The 600 forced me to run on setting 2 for preload, meaning i only had 2 more beyond that, and not enough for full touring mode. if i went with the 900, 1 was too stiff, and i could not get proper sag setting established without adding wieght to the bike.
    too soft or too hard, and no option for the Goldilocks "just right".
    (if still unclear, you need to do some reading on basic shock operations and terminology. Google is your friend, or try the Ohlins link i posted earlier)
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    start off by reducing the preload- that looks to be set at "full load". the ramp should be settled in the uppermost slot of the adjuster)
    Actually that shock does not have a "preload" adjustment. They only had a "preload" adjuster on their Paralever shocks.

The adjuster is their ARS (adjustable rate suspension) adjuster. The adjuster changes how soon the spring stack transitions from the soft white spring below the cup to the stiffer blue spring. It acts similar to a preload adjuster without the initial stiffness or change in ride height.

Gail's is set on full soft (more travel before the lever hits the cup and transitions into the blue spring). With a low gas charge or a heavy load, that could lead to a jarring ride. Works specifies 250psi nitrogen charge. Any dirt bike shop or sport bike shop should be able to check the charge for free.

From Works:

CAUTION: This shock is pressurized to 250 psi nitrogen. This pressure is not an adjustable feature of the shock. Unless
    there is a leak, the shock should not normally lose pressure. If the shock damping becomes soft or mushy (after an
    extended period of time or number of miles) the shock may need to be serviced which includes shock oil and a nitrogen
    charge. In this situation, re-pressurizing the shock alone may not
    improve the action of the shock. (BUT IT MAY)

MULTI-RATE SPRINGS AND THE ARS SYSTEM
    Depending on each application, either dual-rate or triple-rate springs are available. Dual-rate springs are just that-- a
    spring set with two separate rates. This is done with a short spring stacked on a longer spring. As both springs collapse
    they produce a soft, or initial, rate. The spring set will maintain this initial rate until the short spring stops compressing. At
    that point, the spring rate "crosses over" to the stiffer, or final, rate. This multi-rate system allows a soft initial rate for
    comfort on small bumps, but has the capability of soaking up the big pot-holes
    and other road hazards.
    ARS stands for Adjustable Rate Suspension. ARS is standard equipment on most
    BMW K-series shocks. The ARS system allows the rider to increase or decrease
    the load-carrying capacity of the shocks without changing the preload of the
    springs. Depending on the application and spring set, the rider can increase the
    load capacity of the shocks up to 50 percent. This allows the shocks to be correct
    for solo riding, but still be able to handle the increased weight of a passenger and/
    or baggage. ARS can also be employed during solo riding to stiffen the rates for
    aggressive riding, or for riding on rough, broken pavement.
    The ARS system consists of an indexing lever and a stepped cup that contains
    the short spring of the dual-rate. The position of the lever in relation to the steps in
    the cup determines how long the spring set remains on the soft, or initial, spring
    rate. On most ARS applications, four positions can be selected from full stiff to full
    soft. Indexing is done in a matter of seconds by rotating the lever or the cup by
    hand. Indexing the cup to the lever is usually preferable to avoid interference with
    passenger or bags. Adjustment of the ARS system should only be made while the
    motorcycle is on the center stand to reduce the load on the springs.
    Note: It is important to make sure that a step in the cup is positioned directly over the tang on the lever. This will prevent
    damage to the cup and/or lever that can be caused by making partial contact between the tang and a step.
    TUNING TIPS—The “softest” setting on the ARS does not mean that the ride will be the most comfortable at that setting.
    It means that this is the softest spring setting which would be employed on smooth roads and with a solo rider.
    Excessive suspension bottoming caused by rough roads or by the addition of a passenger or bags will cause a harsh
    ride when the shock is adjusted to this setting. To eliminate this bottoming, adjust the ARS to the stiffer positions for a
    more comfortable ride. Hence, sometimes “stiffer is softer.”
    PRELOAD ADJUSTMENT—On the Works shocks for Paralever-equipped BMWs, a threaded preload is standard. (See
    Fig. 3.) This allows the adjustment of the ride height of the motorcycle. The preload is changed by turning a threaded nut
    up (higher ride height) or down (lower ride height) on a threaded part of the shock.The nut is a right-hand thread. It is
    used primarily to set the ride height for solo riding, as the ARS should be employed when adding a passenger or extra
    weight.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

thanks for the specifics Lee.
    i had their shock on my K11 for about 100 miles, and could not get it right due to limited spring choices (tried 2, and no in-between option available), so recall could be a bit fuzzy.
    (fwiw- i ended up getting a used Ohlins, which worked really well)
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Rally Rat
    Gail,
    I had Works rebuild my shock in March. Total bill was $140 including the shipping. They replace all seals and recharge with gas for about $100. They suggested that the shaft be replaced for an extra $40 so I went for that also.

It feels like I'm riding on a new shock.

After looking at the Works website and application document the ARS system isn't available anymore for the K75 unless it's a custom option. If the spring rates are good for you, and after reading about the ARS system then it's a no brainer to have it recharged or rebuilt. Wish my K75 had one installed.
    Frank
    '86 K75C a.k.a Magic Carpet

I really appreciate all the detail, and I've learned a lot.
    I love my mechanic, but apparently shocks are not his thing, he did not identify that I had one I could send out.
    Sounds like a project for the fall, when all riding switches to the GT.
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT