Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: K75 Shock choice

K75 Shock choice

Hey Now, (yes, that's a plagiarized salutation from my one of my favorite Rhode Islanders)

In researching a Shock upgrade for my '92 K75 (currently using a @ 10 year-old Koni mono shock that the former owner had replaced the OEM with) I've avidly read a number of threads on the subject on these forums. Most notably, this one.

As utility, function, value and price-point are considerations I've narrowed my choices to the Progressive 420 and the Y.S.S. Z-366. The Y.S.S. was recommended to me by the owner of EPM Performance Imports, the former importer of Wilbers products, as a suitable replacement for Wilbers (see the attached photo, he sent me, below) and engineered in fact, by the same person, but at a more economical price.

Does anyone have experience with or use a Y.S.S. shock on a K75? What are your thoughts?

Last edited by tessler; 04-15-2008 at 07:53 PM.

i would not call the YSS shock a "replacement" for the Wilbers. It seems that judged on features alone, the Hyper-Pro is more comparable to the Wilbers, and they are also much closer in price than are the YSS & the Wilbers. Not saying the YSS is a poor option, just appears to be not quite on the level of a Wilbers (pretty much no one gives = quality for 1/2 the $).
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    i would not call the YSS shock a "replacement" for the Wilbers. It seems that judged on features alone, the Hyper-Pro is more comparable to the Wilbers, and they are also much closer in price than are the YSS & the Wilbers. Not saying the YSS is a poor option, just appears to be not quite on the level of a Wilbers (pretty much no one gives = quality for 1/2 the $).
    Thanks for you reply, Bikerfish1100. I certainly understand your point. I'm merely relating what was related to me and by no means attributing an over-estimation to the Y.S.S. line or drawing a comparison to higher end options by Wilbers or Ohlins.

My interest is in if anyone has had experience with that particular product and how it compares to the Progressive model on their own or a friend's K75 motorcycle.
    Last edited by tessler; 04-15-2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Works is not in the same league as Ollies or Wilbers :D

the YSS line of shocks is fairly new here in the US. you might have to be a beta-tester of one!
    (and fwiw- Works is not in the same league as Ollies or Wilbers, they are more comparable to the YSS or Konis)
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post

nice bike Scott, but what's the connection to Tessler's query? Or are you just recommending an "ultimate upgrade option" for him?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

nice bike Scott, but what's the connection to Tessler's query? Or are you just recommending an "ultimate upgrade option" for him?
    He wants to upgrade the suspension on his K75. Can you think of a better upgrade to that suspension than replacing the entire bike with the ??ber fun R12R?

p.s. humor, it's better than that serious stuff

Quote Originally Posted by knary View Post
    He wants to upgrade the suspension on his K75. Can you think of a better upgrade to that suspension than replacing the entire bike with the ??ber fun R12R?

p.s. humor, it's better than that serious stuff
    And the best part is that Scott's buying me an R12R with his ??ber-windfall Tax Rebate for the studio!

Thank you, bikerfish1100, for the courtesy of your replies, the only cogent ones I got all day!

Now I'm going to laugh myself all the way to the quit button on my browser and bid you all adieu.

Quote Originally Posted by tessler View Post
    And the best part is that Scott's buying me an R12R with his ??ber-windfall Tax Rebate for the studio!

Ok

Sorry Biker fish but your criteria for judgement may not be the same as the initial poster.

I used YSS and its fine...much better than the stock. You won't have any issues in NYC or the fire roads in White Plains. I pounded the hell out of it for 10k offroad and 15k on road this past year.

Wilbers, HyperPro, YSS, etc...they all have to be rebuilt after a certain mileage anyways...

For the price, YSS is a compelling option when you have to pay for it and eventually have to have it rebuilt.

If you're 6' and over, ask Klaus to stick the K75RT shock on there for you...provides you more height and travel. Incidentally, an R80gs rear monolever shock will fit any K75.
    Edde
    93 K75s
    www.motoedde.com

Thumbs up New Wilbers shock for my K75S

I can not really give you an assement of the Wilbers shock compared to anything other than the stock shock. I really needed to replace the 16 year old original shock and decided to try the Wilbers. An Ohlin just went beyond my budget for this bike and the Wilbers was a stretch.

Ordered the Wilbers through Max BMW North Hampton, NH store. Placed order 3/29/2008. Wilbers certificate shows the shock was manufactured 4/9/2008. With normal shipping the shock arrived somewhere before 4/20.

This past Saturday was my first chance to really put some miles on it, and after 170 miles or so can attest that it really helped the handling through corners. Bike was not very loaded though.

I did not opt for the compression damping option as it was another $200 and did not feel it was worth it for my style of riding on this bike.

Oh, and Max adds a nice touch of including a bag of M&M's.
    But no complaints whatsoever about their service.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 R1200 GSA (Sold: 1992 K75S, and many more)

The box...

as it arrived...

another view

I guess I could have just painted the old shock spring blue and saved a lot of money!

jimmyenglish
    I bought the YSS for my k75 for about $300 and I think it kicks ass. It has a 2 year warranty and I load the bike mightily. It has a boatload of adjustment options. It feels great. Check it out!

Jon, I have a top of the line Wilbers from my K75 for sale. Email me bud.
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com GS911 WIFI BMW Motorcycle Diagnostic Tool