• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Ignition Switch - Which Wire Where?

dodge1chevy2

My '82 R65LS quit running several times during the last ride in the fall. Diagnosed the problem as a failed ignition switch. After approximately three months of effort on the part of MAX BMW and a locksmith, I finally got the correct key code and ordered a new coded switch from Germany.

Now, to my problem. When removing the old switch from the bike which was pinned against the garage wall during the dead of MN winter, I was not able to identify which wire came off which pin. Hopefully, this weekend I'll be able to get at the bike and remove the faring so that the new switch can be properly installed.

As I look at the back of the switch, I have an angled pin with a 56 next to it, a pin on the outer left with the number 15, two pins in the middle with 30 in between, and a pin on the outer right with the number 58. Based in the appearance of the pins on the old switch, the center pin to the left of the 30 is not used.

Can anyone provide the color codes for the wires that attach to the four pins. I searched the service manual and my Clymer but came up empty.

Thanks,
rickt

From Haynes:

30 - red
58 - grey
15 - green
56 - green w/ violet stripe

This matches the BMW CD of electrical diagrams. For UK bikes, another yellow wire is attached to 56.

Kurt,

Thanks for the information. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to the bike this weekend. It appears that winter might really be over!

rickt

Back