Thread: New Ignition Switch - Which Wire Where?

New Ignition Switch - Which Wire Where?

My '82 R65LS quit running several times during the last ride in the fall. Diagnosed the problem as a failed ignition switch. After approximately three months of effort on the part of MAX BMW and a locksmith, I finally got the correct key code and ordered a new coded switch from Germany.

Now, to my problem. When removing the old switch from the bike which was pinned against the garage wall during the dead of MN winter, I was not able to identify which wire came off which pin. Hopefully, this weekend I'll be able to get at the bike and remove the faring so that the new switch can be properly installed.

As I look at the back of the switch, I have an angled pin with a 56 next to it, a pin on the outer left with the number 15, two pins in the middle with 30 in between, and a pin on the outer right with the number 58. Based in the appearance of the pins on the old switch, the center pin to the left of the 30 is not used.

Can anyone provide the color codes for the wires that attach to the four pins. I searched the service manual and my Clymer but came up empty.

Thanks,
    rickt

From Haynes:

30 - red
    58 - grey
    15 - green
    56 - green w/ violet stripe

This matches the BMW CD of electrical diagrams. For UK bikes, another yellow wire is attached to 56.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Kurt,

Thanks for the information. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to the bike this weekend. It appears that winter might really be over!

rickt