Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to GPS

New to GPS

I just opened my new Garmin Quest Deluxe from UPS and was wondering if anyone had any helpful info on using this unit. I've never used a GPS before, so I guess I would just like some suggestions on what to look for. It came with a MapSource CD that I guess you can load different things into the unit. How is the basemap?

Gps

I know this reply is late, but I'm a new member. Did anyone ever answer your question?

No, just posted it.

New GPS

Hi Brian
    Yes, Mapsource is the desktop utility that you can plan and create routes, waypoints etc. They can then be downloaded to the mobile unit. Garmin base maps are not bad - you will find issues - be careful of minor roads - they may not be open to the public, and may not be open. Tracks, recorded on the mobile unit, can be uploaded to Mapsource. Routes, can also be created on the mobile unit.
    Garmin support is great, there is a lot of stuff on their web site, and their (free) telephone support is knowledgeable, curteous and staffed by Americans.

Mark

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain

I'll differ a bit

Basemaps don't go much beyond the main highways, but the Mapsource product is quite good. You load as much of the map as you need.

Warning - these units pack a lot of technology into a small package - took me quite a while to master using it.

Take the time to read the manual and get familiar with the unit off the bike. I'd suggest using in the cage for a bit until you get a feel for how it operates. It's very easy to focus on the GPS and be distracted from operating the bike.
    Bob Weis
    Bikeless! 2004-bmw-k12rs-hannigan-Sold!

tHANKS FOR THE INFO, i'M EXCITED

Rally Rat

Gps

I have used a Zumo for 3 years. For the first 2, I did it the "LowTech" way, where I would look at the paper map and choose towns that would be on my desired route, especially if they were at a crossroads to more than one highway. I would list them on a piece of paper and put this somewhere handy. I would then program a series of Favorites, and when I arrived at location A I would then ask the GPS to take me to B. I would of course also enter any specific destinations such as a Hotel, etc. Very Low Tech.
    I have now made a lot of progress using Mapsource and I plan my route on the software which gives me the option to use different roads than the GPS might automatically choose (ie. scenic vs fast). Much more power and flexibility.
    Mastering the software and the GPS is a hobby all to itself but there are some very good resources www.zumoforums.com
    Have fun !

rayadams

new toys

Two roads diverged in a wood
    And I took the one less traveled by

"Off Route, Recalculating"

enjoy your new toy,
    I know I do.

Quest

I have an early Quest and it keeps going. It started out on a Honda XR400R Dual/Sport and was loaded with Topo maps. Ran it on battery alone and got about 12-15 hours per charge. It out lasted the bike. It's now switched between my truck and a K1200RS. The screen is small, but it is rugged. Just be careful when cleaning the screen, the non-glare coating will rub off. And switch off the Auto-Zoom feature. And MapSourse is the way to go. You can track your rides and download them onto your computer.

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianhinton View Post
    I just opened my new Garmin Quest Deluxe....
    What is a Deluxe Quest? A Quest2? There is no mention of a deluxe version in the Garmin website.

Fred

Hi Brian, I have the Quest GPS unit and like it very much.

It fits on bike (R90/6), the car, and I use it as a handheld as required.

The unit was replaced just before the warranty expired, due to an intermittent antenna connection.

The basemap only has major roads on it, so you need to load your own mapset from the CD supplied with the GPS.

I load my mapset seperately from my routes, so that I can delete all the routes without losing my mapset. I normally keep all of southern Ontario, southern Quebec and northern New Nork on the GPS.

Last year we went to the RA rally at Biltmore, and the Quest was only half full with all the maps required to load the states needed for the entire trip.

To become more competent on the GPS, I used it in the car, even when I knew where I was going. This has developed my skills considerably.

My kids now tease me that the value of my bike has doubled with the GPS mounted on it.

Regards, Rod.

Now, if only Garmin would provide a fix for the new day light savings time rules....Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class

I ordered the Garmin Quest a few months ago from www.EDGEGPS.com for steal. So far it has been nice little unit that fits nicely on my R1200C or in my truck just by using the Vehicle suction cup mount on the gas tank and running the unit on its battery. I have had no problems with suction cup coming lose or the GPS moving around in the mount even in the rain. Take sometime and play with the unit, I am still leaning some of the little things about the unit. But for the price it beats my other high priced GPS unit that has the BMW name on it that is also a Garmin.
    Michael Johnston
    Founder: Veteran BMW Riders Name Change to: BMW Club Veteran Riders international
    www.veteranbmwriders.org

n1kcl

Quest

And after you get to know how to use it a little (they all take time) you might want to go to this site. http://www.elsinga.net/quest.html It'll help you learn some of the more advanced features the Quest has to offer.

Thanks Michael (vetbmwrider), I met you at Dogwood I think. Your the reason I got the Quest and I got it from EDGE. Loading the maps from Mapsource is a bit confusing. I take it that it erases previous maps that were in there when you load a new one.