Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HOT Weather Jacket

Joe Rocket Phoenix in the summer. Belstaf Typhoon in the spring and fall.

Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Joe Rocket Mesh and a liner for the cool evenings.

This jacket works for me from 50 degrees to 110 degrees. 50 with the liner of course. I love it's versitility and it comes with decent armor and all for less tha $150.

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

HOT weather jacket ..update

Since I last posted I have purchased a Rev'it Airflow jacket from BMW of the Tri-State.

Well, it really works !
    It feels like you are wearing a T-Shirt with armor !

Took a ride to dinner with a friend and we didn't leave the restaurant until sunset . I figured it was going to be a little nippy so I grabed a handful of napkins,and stuffed then in my sleeves and the jacket front. IT WORKED !
    (I forgot to pack my liner )

Tested the Airflow again today in 85+ temps and it was very comfy .

NE Arkansas - Between Goobertown and Buck Snort

BMW Airflow for me!

I bought the first version of the Airflow (in silver) and love it. The Airflow2 is similarly cool, but less stiff and more supple (same thing, isn't it?).
    When it's a little cool, I wear a Gore Windstopper garment pullover or jacket liner under it.
    The Airflow and a Camelbak water supply have gotten me through many a hot desert ride.
    The BMW Airflow and Airflow2 seem a bit more substantial and better armored than most of the other ventilated jackets I've seen. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Something new--Joe Rocket Alter Ego

How about a Joe Rocket Alter Ego? It's a new product that is designed to cover all year round.

Right now I'm wearing it in "Phoenix" mode--mesh only. It also has an inner rain shell which is good for cooler weather too. When it gets cold there is an outer shell for winter weather. With all three layers in place it is a pretty warm jacket.

List price is about $250. Street price is $200 to $225. I actually found it for a little under $200, but paid $225 in order to support a local dealer.

Originally posted by Dave in OKC
    Something new--Joe Rocket Alter Ego

.... List price is about $250. Street price is $200 to $225. I actually found it for a little under $200, but paid $225 in order to support a local dealer.
    Must be nice to have money to throw away. Why didn't you just give the dealer $20 and pocket the difference?

Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

Firstgear Mesh

I've had a Firstgear Mesh for two years and has worked very well.
    If you really get hot, you can soak the jacket a little and you will get a nice cooling as you go down the road. The other trick is have a bandana with you, and when hot soak it and wrap it around your neck. Does wonders.
    Fernando

Originally posted by JimVonBaden
    Must be nice to have money to throw away. Why didn't you just give the dealer $20 and pocket the difference?

Jim
    Jim:

We can agree to disagree. For me, buying locally is not throwing money away, but more like an investment. You might be shocked to know I don't buy from Wal-Mart either, not matter how cheap their crap is.

Anyway, for the $25 or so I paid "too much" in order to support a local cycle shop, what could I have bought for my Beemer, a nice sticker or something?

I'm standing by my decision--support your local shop whenever possible!

Originally posted by Dave in OKC
    Jim:

We can agree to disagree. For me, buying locally is not throwing money away, but more like an investment. You might be shocked to know I don't buy from Wal-Mart either, not matter how cheap their crap is.

Anyway, for the $25 or so I paid "too much" in order to support a local cycle shop, what could I have bought for my Beemer, a nice sticker or something?

I'm standing by my decision--support your local shop whenever possible!
    It's your money and your choice, but I bet your local dealer wouldn't take $25 off just for being a good loyal customer!

No offense, and I am not trying to be contentious, just an opinion!

Jim

Originally posted by JimVonBaden
    It's your money and your choice, but I bet your local dealer wouldn't take $25 off just for being a good loyal customer!

No offense, and I am not trying to be contentious, just an opinion!

Jim
    Jim:

No offense taken. The forum is all about opinions.

In fairness, I should have mentioned my local independent bike shop had the jacket tagged at list price & I DID ask them for a discount. They knocked off $25 on the spot, 10% off.

On the other hand, a "big box" retailer down the street (Cycle Gear) sells at list price only with no room to cut a customer a break. Yes, they have sales, but only on stuff they are wanting to move. Loyalty is a two-way street, but some retailers don't see it that way. If a shop will meet me half way & make some effort, I'll support the little guy every time.

Talk to you later & thanks for the opinion.

DZIMBRIC

Gloves

Originally posted by LICK MY BRICK
    Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket here

Here is an endorsement for the Joe Rocket Gloves.

[QUOTE]
    Gloves- Joe Rocket Phoenix. Complete and total crap. They fell apart like a chinese motorcycle. My hands would have thanked me for wearing my real race gloves, and not these mesh and leather POS's. Don't ever buy them. No idea if this trait extends to the phoenix jackets and pants that are so popular right now. For the sake of the people wearing 'em, I sure hope not.
    [QUOTE]

Here is the link to the post. Check it out a picture is worth a thousand words.

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums...threadid=10027

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/hornskeith/gear/

DZIMBRIC

Cooler

[QUOTE] From Mrskibasa
    5. No matter what you wear, it will be hot. You can always get warmer, but never cooler.[QUOTE]

She must have been talking about me, I just can't get any cooler.

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Read THIS
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

I have a 3yr old Joe Rocket jacket that has been...o.k. Not great, just O.K. I got what I paid for. I have the gloves metioned and these things are total CRAP. Lasted less than one year. Again, I probably got what I paid for. For a casual rider, they are fine. IF however, you ride 6 out of 7 days, they will soon be in the trash.

RW

Re: Gloves

By KnoxRT:

". . .Gloves- Joe Rocket Phoenix. Complete and total crap. . ."

Knox:

I really feel for the rider who went down with the deer, but let me say something about the Joe Rocket Phoenix line in its defense. The gloves worn in the accident are a discontinued model. I agree they are an inferior product, but they've been pulled from the Joe Rocket line. Take a look at the Phoenix 1.0, which is the glove this poor guy was wearing:

http://www.tonker.com/shopsite_sc/st...nix_glove.html

For 2004, the Phoenix 2.0 glove has been totally re-vamped. It has protectors all over the place, much more so than the earlier model. In particular the thumb area has both a carbon fiber protector and molded rubber along most of the thumb length. It also is a lot more leather and a lot less mesh. Take a look:

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/ite...roducts_id=183

I think if you look at Joe Rocket products overall, you are going to see a highly respected line with a lot of racing experience and attention to product development. When shopping recently I passed on the Phoenix 1.0 glove despite a cheap close-out price, but did buy the Phoenix 2.0 glove. I'm happy. By the way, I bought these gloves to replace a pair of AlpineStars that were coming apart all by themselves after about 8 months use. Guess nobody's perfect, but hopefully the companies learn from their mistakes.

Ride safe.