• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Multiple Wives?

RJM2096

Are these guys in Texas crazy? I can barely handle the one wife I have. :banghead

Do you think Man was made for multiple Wifes (at one time)?

Good Read

If you are interested in this subject, John Krakauer's Under the Banner Of Heaven explores the history and current context of the Latter Day Saints, including the fanatic polygamus sub sects. The appendix of the book publishes a damning review from the press director of the LDS, and Krakaur's rebuttal.

Krakaur is a very readable author who also wrote Into Thin Air about a disasterous Everest ascent and Into The Wild about the young man who ventured off into the wilderness in a soul quest and died.

Yes, and they prosecuted their fearless leader for contributing to rape in UT and he was convicted; now he is on trial in AZ for similar acts here.

It sounds crazy but there is a certain amount of enabling going on. The women are raised to be less independent, more mindful and more subservient in those kinds of fanatical cults. The only thing more crazy is the number of kids they're pumping out. A constant stream yet they seem to manage all crammed into a single house. The women are constantly birthing, bathing, feeding, cleaning ... I doubt they have time to complain or make "honey do" lists for their husband. The second wife is probably a welcome relief when she comes along, giving the first wife a breather. There is no wasting time on the Internet when daddy is gone. Or shopping for shoes and make-up. They do what they're told because that's all they know.

The wives are also not riding motorcycles.

Sounds more like forced servitude than a fair and equitable marriage. :dunno

The women are constantly birthing, bathing, feeding, cleaning ... I. :dunno

Clearly that is not all they are doing. :whistle

The Jeffs cult/sect indoctrinates (brainwashes?) girls at a very young age to trust that the salvation of their souls is dependent on their serving the men who lord over them. They are kept from TV and any influences where they might learn societal norms. Social pressures are very strong to influence cult members to conform.

IMHO religious freedom should not enable pedophilia and the state was right to intervene when they got the report of abuse from the 16 year old girl.

yup

I consider a stack of rusting CB360s an eyesore. A sofa in a neighborÔÇÖs front yard is an eyesore. A cult of incestuous pedophiles breeding like rabbits to keep a fresh supply of victims in stock while shielding themselves with a cloak of religious freedom is a crime that warrants intervention.

Sure send in a posse, send in Chuck Norris Texas Ranger.

... it's not the obvious that we have to expend all of our energies on. Groups of abusers make CNN.... but your neighbor goes on and on. But, hey, he's a helluva a guy eh? -Bob

... it's not the obvious that we have to expend all of our energies on. Groups of abusers make CNN.... but your neighbor goes on and on. But, hey, he's a helluva a guy eh? -Bob
Except, our neighbors are polygamists, too. You have no idea how hard it is to deal with these people in the "real" world when they are so obviously not "of" the real world. They make Mitt Romney look like Abby Hoffman.

I went to a wedding reception for a co-worker, he's one of these folks, this was his first wife. They met while living in an apartment building near the university. His family gave them a great wedding gift: a pair of draft horses. Need to start those kids off right. Don't know where they can keep those horses, the university area has limited parking space.

I think it is a bigger crime for the State to round up all those people. Butt that is sounding political. I could only imagine if their leader rode a BMW with an MOA sticker on it. " Spare the child and spoil the beemer." :whistle

I think it is time to use the tithing for Gerry Spence .

Sorry, you are wrong on this one. The state has a legal and vested interest, long held by previous court decisions, that the well being of children is a governmental issue. And for good reason. They are not able to protect themselves.

I applaud those who faced this head on and took action.

Last edited:
What I always wondered about these sects is how they deal with the MEN, rather than the women. They have guys with several wives, while the male/female ratio in the general populace is about even. If this sort of ratio transfers to these sects, then what is the status of different men, and if some have multiple wives then some therefore must not have any, and what do the leaders say about this? Or do a lot more women join these sects than men?

What I always wondered about these sects is how they deal with the MEN, rather than the women. They have guys with several wives, while the male/female ratio in the general populace is about even. If this sort of ratio transfers to these sects, then what is the status of different men, and if some have multiple wives then some therefore must not have any, and what do the leaders say about this? Or do a lot more women join these sects than men?
Some of the polygamist groups chase young men out of the community at a young age without a means to support themselves. It is tragic for both the young women and the young men.

Last edited:
Back