Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Wives?

Multiple Wives?

Are these guys in Texas crazy? I can barely handle the one wife I have.

Do you think Man was made for multiple Wifes (at one time)?

mrich12000

Good Read

If you are interested in this subject, John Krakauer's Under the Banner Of Heaven explores the history and current context of the Latter Day Saints, including the fanatic polygamus sub sects. The appendix of the book publishes a damning review from the press director of the LDS, and Krakaur's rebuttal.

Krakaur is a very readable author who also wrote Into Thin Air about a disasterous Everest ascent and Into The Wild about the young man who ventured off into the wilderness in a soul quest and died.

Yes, and they prosecuted their fearless leader for contributing to rape in UT and he was convicted; now he is on trial in AZ for similar acts here.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Religious fanaticism is evil
    Mark

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain

You're crazy if you think you're "handling" yours.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Truism

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    You're crazy if you think you're "handling" yours.
    That is true, I should have said "I can't even handle mine!"

darcym
    It sounds crazy but there is a certain amount of enabling going on. The women are raised to be less independent, more mindful and more subservient in those kinds of fanatical cults. The only thing more crazy is the number of kids they're pumping out. A constant stream yet they seem to manage all crammed into a single house. The women are constantly birthing, bathing, feeding, cleaning ... I doubt they have time to complain or make "honey do" lists for their husband. The second wife is probably a welcome relief when she comes along, giving the first wife a breather. There is no wasting time on the Internet when daddy is gone. Or shopping for shoes and make-up. They do what they're told because that's all they know.

The wives are also not riding motorcycles.

Sounds more like forced servitude than a fair and equitable marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by darcym View Post
    The women are constantly birthing, bathing, feeding, cleaning ... I.

Clearly that is not all they are doing.

The Jeffs cult/sect indoctrinates (brainwashes?) girls at a very young age to trust that the salvation of their souls is dependent on their serving the men who lord over them. They are kept from TV and any influences where they might learn societal norms. Social pressures are very strong to influence cult members to conform.

IMHO religious freedom should not enable pedophilia and the state was right to intervene when they got the report of abuse from the 16 year old girl.

yup

I consider a stack of rusting CB360s an eyesore. A sofa in a neighbor‘«÷s front yard is an eyesore. A cult of incestuous pedophiles breeding like rabbits to keep a fresh supply of victims in stock while shielding themselves with a cloak of religious freedom is a crime that warrants intervention.

Sure send in a posse, send in Chuck Norris Texas Ranger.

Been married 41 years, cannot imagine have double or more honey do's and job jars.

... it's not the obvious that we have to expend all of our energies on. Groups of abusers make CNN.... but your neighbor goes on and on. But, hey, he's a helluva a guy eh? -Bob
    Bob Weber
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Some behaviors provide their own punishments. Chief among them are sobriety, chastity and polygamy.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by huddyk View Post
    Some behaviors provide their own punishments. Chief among them are sobriety, chastity and polygamy.

That is a quote worthy of being carved on a monument.

Rw

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    ... it's not the obvious that we have to expend all of our energies on. Groups of abusers make CNN.... but your neighbor goes on and on. But, hey, he's a helluva a guy eh? -Bob
    Except, our neighbors are polygamists, too. You have no idea how hard it is to deal with these people in the "real" world when they are so obviously not "of" the real world. They make Mitt Romney look like Abby Hoffman.

I went to a wedding reception for a co-worker, he's one of these folks, this was his first wife. They met while living in an apartment building near the university. His family gave them a great wedding gift: a pair of draft horses. Need to start those kids off right. Don't know where they can keep those horses, the university area has limited parking space.