• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Another BRAKE related post..."Search" tool was inconclusive...

Na Cl K9

John D'oh
I checked back through the posts and found a note about the brake disc's on the
Brembo equipped dual disc bikes (an 83 airhead in this case). The post indicated that the
ÔÇ£Brembo disc's run in a different plane" from the ATE disc's. Since the disc's themselves
appear to be the same, the later style must use a different disc carrier from the one used in
conjunction with the earlier ATE system. Knowing that the cast wheels will interchange
between a 78 and an 83 I am making the assumption that one must have both discs made
for the Brembo front brake systems in order to update a 78 R100 to a Brembo front end
and that earlier ATE disc's will not interchange. IÔÇÖve dealt with this one time before and
I donÔÇÖt want to rely on my memory. The parts are expensive and stopping is too mportant

I was told it was a different slider that kept us form using the Rambos on the early bikes
could be wrong
would not be the first time
just ask my wife

BMW parts fiche shows the same brake disc, part number 34 11 1 236 566, for all models 1974 - on.

What you can't do is use wire spoke wheels with Brembos.....

The Brembos mount ahead of the fork leg; the Ate calipers mount behind the fork leg. The Ate calipers attach via a eccentric pivot bolt; the Brembos attach with two regular bolts.

Swall,
So if I take the Brembos on my 1981 R100RT and swing the fork legs around so that the calipers are out front, will I get better braking?
They came from the factory with the caliper's hanging out the back of the leg, but if changing the legs from side to side and moving the calipers to the front will give better performance, we just may have come across the cheapest upgrade one could find.

:dunno

give me a brake

The 5 hole carriers (and rotors) used on the ATE and Brembo equipped forks are the same, as is rotor spacing (distance between rotor centers on twin disk)

Forks fitted with F08 Brembos have different sliders AND different internal damping parts than the ATE equipped forks, making a 'slider only' swap impractical.
Consequently, if one wants to replace the ATEs with the later Brembo F08s – it is much simpler to swap the entire forks.

A flake can be fitted to ATE forks ... but fitting most early wire wheels to an F08 Brembo fork will NOT work as the calipers interfere with the spokes.
However, a narrow "3-rib" hub from an R80ST or GS allows the use of a wire wheel on the dual F08 Brembo forks.

Some BMW models had the F08s in front and some had them behind the sliders. I can't imagine that stopping ability is altered in any appreciable way as a result of the change.

Last edited:
I believe that's the answer to my question...

...I remember now that it was the 77 spoke front wheel I tried to use with the
Brembo front end that was the problem, not the discs. I had an R80GS with the
21" wire wheel and figured I could get wire wheels to fit my 83 R100. Turned out
I had to use the Flakes because of the problem you talked about...I found out
right away the calipers didn't clear the wire spokes. The devels in the details.

I do appreciate all the feedback on this.

:lurk

Imagine how much I wouldn't know if I rode a complicated motorcycle!:laugh

Thanks for that Paul...............I am surely not a primo example; but instead the tip of the iceberg of folks out there that actually do not even know that this format exists nor care to participate...................

lolololol..............It would seem that the knowledge and experience that old age and experience bring blended with leaving behind a legacy to those left after them is often shunned due to the ignorance of the uninformed and an attitude of "I know everything"....................

For me, I totally welcome a refresher on what has been mentally filed away; but cant remember what drawer, CD, or floppy it was put on..........

God Bless................Dennis

old age

...For me, I totally welcome a refresher on what has been mentally filed away; but cant remember what drawer, CD, or floppy it was put on..........

God Bless................Dennis

LOL. ain't it the truth.
(the hard-drive is top notch ... it's the software that gives me problems)

Back