• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

D.C. to Phoenix

D

DaveRTS

Does anyone know a good route to Phoenix, AZ from the Washington, D.C. area? I plan on giving myself five to six days to make the trip in early July. While I would like to stay off the major interstates as much as possible, I know I'll have to ride portions during the trip. I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have.

Thanks,
David

check out rt 50. you can head n.e. from Phoenix to pick up rt 50 then bring it all the way east. great road!!!

I will second that - I would take I-66 out of the city, turn right onto Rt. 50 and keep going all the way to around Rt. 191, then wander down to Phoenix on as many smaller roads as I could find. Bob Higdon rode Rt. 50 from coast to coast a few years back and said it was an incredible ride (now if he would only finish the trip write-up hint hint!!!)

I've ridden Rt. 50 from DC west to Ohio and all points in between many times and it simply a great road. One of those rare ones that is large enough to make some time but small enough to really enjoy it. It is older and eclipsed by interstates in many places so you'll pass through lots of nice old towns (Marietta, Ohio, just 15 miles north of Parkersburg, WV, is a great stop the first night, try the Lafayette Hotel, inexpensive, historic and very nicely restored.

I will second that - I would take I-66 out of the city, turn right onto Rt. 50 and keep going all the way to around Rt. 191, then wander down to Phoenix on as many smaller roads as I could find. Bob Higdon rode Rt. 50 from coast to coast a few years back and said it was an incredible ride (now if he would only finish the trip write-up hint hint!!!)

I've ridden Rt. 50 from DC west to Ohio and all points in between many times and it simply a great road. One of those rare ones that is large enough to make some time but small enough to really enjoy it. It is older and eclipsed by interstates in many places so you'll pass through lots of nice old towns (Marietta, Ohio, just 15 miles north of Parkersburg, WV, is a great stop the first night, try the Lafayette Hotel, inexpensive, historic and very nicely restored.

I second that, I found Marietta by accident on a ride along the Ohio River and stayed at the Lafayette Hotel, I liked it so much I stayed two days there, very old world and right on the river with a nice little park across the street where you could sit and enjoy the afternoon and watch the river traffic.

Also check out route 6 known as the National Army of the Republic Highway, oldest cross-continental road and second longest. Tons of History, goes thru Pa to Erie, PA where you could pick it up and follow it west. Like 50 it goes thru many little towns and there is a ton of info on the web about it, just search for the National Army of the Republic Highway.

here's a link to write up I did about my trip along the Ohio River and parts of 50 and the Ohio River Road

http://www.bmwbmw.org/bmwforums/viewtopic.php?t=4203&highlight=ohio

and a pic of the old Hotel

laffette-parlor.jpg

also check out Stubensville Ohio known as the City of Murals here's my man Dean

DSC_0047.jpg

RM

Thanks for the information. I've started plotting the map.

Does anyone know a good route to Phoenix, AZ from the Washington, D.C. area? I plan on giving myself five to six days to make the trip in early July. While I would like to stay off the major interstates as much as possible, I know I'll have to ride portions during the trip. I would appreciate any suggestions that you may have.

Thanks,
David

David,

I rode Rt 50 from WV through Colorado a couple years ago and found it a very pleasant ride. My least favorite part was western Kansas / eastern Colorado, which is pretty flat and dry, but even that wasn't bad.
For your trip I'd consider taking 50 to Gunnison Colorado, then 149 south to just past Lake City, then 110 over to 550 at Silverton. Then 550 south. Here's a few pictures. Pardon the motorcycle, I took my Dyna Glide on this trip instead of my BMW. :)

There's a few stretches where 50 runs with an interstate but it's usually sparcely traveled. Here's Rt 50/I-35 just west of Kansas City.

ColoradoAugust2006004.jpg

Here's a little further west in Kansas on 50 the next morning.

ColoradoAugust2006012.jpg

The Big Horn Motel on Rt 50 near Cotopoxi Colorado.

ColoradoAugust2006020.jpg

Rt 149 just north of Lake City

ColoradoAugust2006044.jpg

Rt 550, south of Silverton.

ColoradoAugust2006053.jpg

Back