Thread: Odometer Quit

On the Road

Odometer Quit

my 84 RT odometer quit after i filled up and reset the trip set. Speed still registers so the cable is still cranking. I guess the odo & trip have cratered. Can these be fixed or do you have to replace the whole thing.
    Thanks for any experience.

Gary.:

Check this out...most likely the numbered wheels have slipped sideways on their shafts.

http://www.airheads.org/content/view/160/98/
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thumbs up Fix it...

They can be fixed. I would check the Airhead website and do a google search. If you are not comfortable fixing it yourself, I know that Palto Alto in California fixes them, as well as Re-cycle in Ohio. They will check it first, call you with a price and then you go from there...
    I suggest that you take it off the bike, lay a towel down with good lighting and to start taking it apart. It may be something simple. They are also know for requiring a little lubrication...
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Check this out...most likely the numbered wheels have slipped sideways on their shafts.

http://www.airheads.org/content/view/160/98/
    I had the same problem and did this over the winter and it was easier than I would have guessed. I did it on my desk in front of the computer, checking the instructions and pictures at each step. Unfortunately, given the weather and other issues, I don't know whether it worked yet.
    '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '18 Street Triple RS, 2020 R1250R, '19 Ninja 400 (track bike), '21 Duke 890R (gone but not forgotten: '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)

Quote Originally Posted by gfdunn View Post
    my 84 RT odometer quit after i filled up and reset the trip set. Speed still registers so the cable is still cranking. I guess the odo & trip have cratered. Can these be fixed or do you have to replace the whole thing.
    Thanks for any experience.

Gary.:
    Gary;

My 84 RS did the same thing. Check this link on the Airheads site for a fix if you wish to try it yourself. http://www.airheads.org/content/view/160/98/
    I read/printed this article and used a bit of JB Weld to do the repair. Be sure and apply some high quality grease to the moving parts, clean all the electrical connections, etc., while you are in there.

You DO belong to the Airheads right????

dj
    Don "Radar" Wreyford
    00 K1200LT, 98 R1100GS AE, 84 R100RS, 76 R75/6
    MOA # 91738, RA #27032 , ABC #7915 - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

Grammarian no, Rider yes ISAMEMON's Avatar
    yes you can fix it yourself
    follow the links above
    I did mine about a year ago and it is working great

by the way, while your in there, its a good time to replace all the bulbs, their cheap and you already have everything apart anyway