• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Odometer Quit

gfdunn

my 84 RT odometer quit after i filled up and reset the trip set. Speed still registers so the cable is still cranking. I guess the odo & trip have cratered. Can these be fixed or do you have to replace the whole thing.
Thanks for any experience.

Gary.::p

Fix it...

They can be fixed. I would check the Airhead website and do a google search. If you are not comfortable fixing it yourself, I know that Palto Alto in California fixes them, as well as Re-cycle in Ohio. They will check it first, call you with a price and then you go from there...
I suggest that you take it off the bike, lay a towel down with good lighting and to start taking it apart. It may be something simple. They are also know for requiring a little lubrication... :thumb

my 84 RT odometer quit after i filled up and reset the trip set. Speed still registers so the cable is still cranking. I guess the odo & trip have cratered. Can these be fixed or do you have to replace the whole thing.
Thanks for any experience.

Gary.::p

Gary;

My 84 RS did the same thing. Check this link on the Airheads site for a fix if you wish to try it yourself. http://www.airheads.org/content/view/160/98/
I read/printed this article and used a bit of JB Weld to do the repair. Be sure and apply some high quality grease to the moving parts, clean all the electrical connections, etc., while you are in there.

You DO belong to the Airheads right????

dj

yes you can fix it yourself
follow the links above
I did mine about a year ago and it is working great

by the way, while your in there, its a good time to replace all the bulbs, their cheap and you already have everything apart anyway

Back