Thread: It happened again.....

Rally Rat

It happened again.....

Hello all,

Just read an article about helmet laws and thought I'd pass this along for your amusement. This is what I say to the people who say "there awt ta be a laaaw"

You know how it is, you step off your motor and there's this old guy (holy crap, I'm one of them at 59!!!) who looks at you, sees your helmet and starts the same old conversation....

Him : See you're wearing a helmet, crazy motorcyclist, outta be a law making 'em wear them things. I am sick and tired of society and MY taxes having to pay for all these damn medical bills for you guys hittin' your heads and being put into the hospital.

Me: Well sir, (I am a retired Police Officer so I am polite), It is my understanding that there is a move afoot to make helmets mandatory due to all the injuries.

Him: Well, it's about time. Damn people getting hurt in the head and makin' me pay.

Me: Yes sir, I agree. It is a sad state of affairs when we have to pay for these people going and getting themselves hurt.

Him: Yep, and finally one of ya'll that has some sense.

Me: Yes sir, but I do have one question that has been bothering me....

Him: And what's that???

Me: Well, how the heck are you gonna wash your hair????

Him: WHAT! What the hell you talking about???

Me: Well sir, most injuries are head injuries, and since most injuries occur in the home, and since we both agree that we are tired of these people using our taxes to pay their bills, the law will help alleviate this problem by making everyone wear a helmet in the homes, in their cars, and at work. And like you said, we're tired of paying their bills. Quite a good idea, don't you think?

Him: What???? I ain't wearing no gawd damm helmet!!!!

Me: But sir, you just said you were tired of paying the bills for others injured, and 99 percent of injuries involve non-motorcyclists. OH WAIT A MINUTE!!!! I see, you want the one percent of injured parties to wear a helmet, but you don't mind paying for the 99 percent of non-riders that are hurt.... Hmmm, that is a pretty stupid mindset, don't you think??? Sir? Sir? Now where did he go......

i LOVE your .sig line

ray82609
    It really makes more sense to have a helmet law for cars. Even though the percentage of head injuries for motorcyclists is greater, the total number of head injuries from motorcycle accidents is tiny compared to auto accidents. I think you're crazy to ride without a helmet, I just don't think you're criminally insane.
    -Ray

Rally Rat

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ray82609 View Post
    It really makes more sense to have a helmet law for cars. Even though the percentage of head injuries for motorcyclists is greater, the total number of head injuries from motorcycle accidents is tiny compared to auto accidents. I think you're crazy to ride without a helmet, I just don't think you're criminally insane.
    -Ray
    Actually, the automotive industry has already addressed such concerns.

Record number of vehicles hitting the market now with frontal, side, curtain and rollover activated airbags, along with active head restraints and, of course, seatbelts.

And most of the airbags, such as side and curtain are (GASP!) being voluntarily added to their products. They figured out that dead drivers make dead consumers.

So do dead motorcyclists.

bob1100rtc
    I unplugged my airbag module cause I've seen them blow up at school. Being as I no longer wear my seatbelt (I stopped when it became a law and not just common sense), I don't want to get killed by the airbag if I'm in an accident.

Rally Rat

Airbag...

Yep, much better to be killed by windshield than airbag..... but is kinda messy.
    But then, that't your right and you'll teach them a lesson by it.... sort of

Rally Rat

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1100RTC View Post
    I unplugged my airbag module cause I've seen them blow up at school. Being as I no longer wear my seatbelt (I stopped when it became a law and not just common sense), I don't want to get killed by the airbag if I'm in an accident.
    They're airbags....they're supposed to blow up!

And, even though it became a law, wouldn't it still be common sense to wear a seatbelt?

Pass a law you don't agree with, and you willing to unbuckle to protest it?!

Hardcore, man. Hardcore.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 04-06-2008 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Actually, the automotive industry has already addressed such concerns.

Record number of vehicles hitting the market now with frontal, side, curtain and rollover activated airbags, along with active head restraints and, of course, seatbelts.

And most of the airbags, such as side and curtain are (GASP!) being voluntarily added to their products. They figured out that dead drivers make dead consumers.

So do dead motorcyclists.
    They also figured out that they can sell more cars of they can more easily be totalled by high repair cost after a crash, or how to sell more parts if it's not a total.
    Even if not, they figured out how to sell safety by implying fear.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Rally Rat

Smile

"...figured out how to sell safety by implying fear."

Wow - you live in a darker world than I do (explains your Avatar!).

You need to get up here and go riding with me someday. We could debate life over many fun miles and a steak sandwich - know just the place in the Door County peninsula.

Ride safe and often!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1100RTC View Post
    I really love your sense of humor.