• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lots of Rain in Spokane?

prowler

I just talked with a rider yesterday who rode to Seattle last year from his home in Southern Indiana. He talked about the beauty of the ride (of course) and mentioned the five days alotted for an unhurried trip. The more he talked the more anxious I became for the July '04 trip to begin. However ..............

......... he did say there were some delays due to inclement weather in the Northwest, namely "rain." He said that for the most part, he donned his rain-suit and kept on riding down the road. A couple of nights, though, he headed for a motel instead of looking for a cozy campground.

Now, I don't mind a little bit of rain. That's just Mother Nature keepin' us in line and watering some yards, etc. But I do recall last year at Charleston and how rainy mid-July can be when you leasts expect all that water. I, myself, prefer riding "dry" to "wet."

Knowing you can't fortell weather conditions in July, would a couple of local Spokanites comment on the odds of having wet weather during the upcoming mid-July Rally? I've never been that far to the Northwest but have this lurking feeling that every morning out there is damp and rainy. Am I all wet in thinking this? Should riders allow more time to get to the Rally due to potential rain?

Looking forward to your thoughts,
Roger

The possibility of rain in Spokane during the month of July is remote. Its on the east side of the mountains from Seattle, and has an entirely different climate.

Seattle is on the West coast (often referred to as the Wet coast) and hemmed in by the Cascade Mountains. Spokane is nearly 300 miles East, at the Eastern border near Idaho, at the far edge of the Columbia Plateau, not just beyond the rain shadow of the Cascade Mountains, but all the way East until you start into the Rocky Mountains. These two cities are like night and day in comparison.

This is from an RV website:
"Surprising to many is the mild climate that Spokane enjoys. Located between the Cascade and Rocky Mountain ranges, the city is protected from the damp weather that is associated with the western side of the state as well as from the cold temperatures that are experienced on the eastern side of the Rockies. While the annual rainfall is only about 20 inches, 70 percent of it falls between October and April, and the city enjoys more than 200 days of sunshine per year. "Spokane" is a Native American word that means "children of the sun." July's mean temperature is 80.5 degrees Fahrenheit with humidity of 39 percent. In truth, the weather is beautiful."

In truth, I've been in Spokane in July often and it's been 90-105F every time. No rain. You will wish for rain, as that would cool the temps a bit.

Well now, that's great news! Thanks a lot for the weather information. Guess I should have known they wouldn't schedule a Rally under perpetual clouds.

Roger

Here in western washington is usually dry after the 4th of july. So spokane should be dry also and maybe hot. It doesn't really rain alot here it just rains often more like a sprinkle as opposed to rain. Last weekend it was 80 degrees and not a speck or rain. We have already had lots of great riding weather so far this year.

Frank
Puyallup Wa.

nearby in Portland...

Rain is a remote possibility in July. Think Phoenix, minus 20 degrees. Forget the mean of 80, I would be surprised if the highs for all four days aren't over 90 or even 95. Rain there in the summer is more like Rocky Mtns, clouds and quick light shower in the afternoon and then dry up. It would be welcomed to cool off. If I had a choice between a sun shade tarp or rain gear, I'd bring the shade.

"PDXGS Looking Forward to the Ride"

WEather website for Spokane

Here's the NOAA website for weather in Spokane:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Spokane/index.shtml

...........for all your weather needs.

Also, here is the Washington DOT weather and road website:

http://betatraffic.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/weather/recentweatherdata.aspx?id=911

...........to check on road conditions in the area.

It probably won't rain, it may thunderstorm (like the Missoula rally) and it might be windy.

Later,

Jon-Lars Sorenson
Beverly, WA

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=e0gbqhj.156its4r&x=0&y=-cq86aw

Weather in Spokane

:brow

You can be sure that it will be extremely HOT in Spokane for the rally. The ride to the rally will be scenic but once there you will be camping in an area with a gravel pit on one side and a RR yard on the other. Hope you can transport an airconditioner for your tent. The rally selection method needs to be completely changed to a system where MOA members can vote on the proposed rally sites.

Re: Weather in Spokane

Fiordmann said:

You can be sure that it will be extremely HOT in Spokane for the rally. The ride to the rally will be scenic but once there you will be camping in an area with a gravel pit on one side and a RR yard on the other. Hope you can transport an airconditioner for your tent. The rally selection method needs to be completely changed to a system where MOA members can vote on the proposed rally sites.

I live in Spokane and I personally think that our summer weather is much more comfortable than Florida. We have very little humidity, and our temperatures are typically in the 80's in July, which is very comfortable. You make it sound like the camping will be in a gravel pit, which it is not. The Spokane area is beautiful, with mountains, trees, rivers, and lakes, all of which are within a short distance of the Fairgrounds where the rally is based. Please don't post such negative statements to ruin other's expectations of having a good time. This rally should be great and a lot of people have worked really hard to make sure everyone has a good time. I don't even own a BMW and I'm planning on being there to share in the fun.

I'd bet it'll be a lot less humid than Florida and will cool down nicely at night.

From the Mr. Obvious Dept. (Kbasa) ..."it'll be a lot less humid than Florida"

Isn't that a bit like saying it's a bit less gay than Richard Simmons..?

Everything is less gay than Richard Simmons, and Everywhere is less humid than Fla. in the Summertime! That being said, I'm sure Spokane will be fine, they will have cold beer for sale and everyone will be happy.

RW

spokane humidity

In July the morning humidity is about 65% and the afternoon is about 28%. Not humid at all and it won't be hot like Utah, Arizona, and most of the mid west.

Frank
Puyallup Wa.

There is a reason I moved away from Florida to a place with Snow and seasons.

August in Orlando 98 degrees 98 percent relative humidity. Thunderstorm between 3:17PM and 4:03PM Daily!

Re: Weather in Spokane

Fiordmann said:

Do I detect sour grapes from someone who's got his nickers in a twist because the rally is not in his back yard this year?:brow

Spokane has some wonderful summer weather. Expect low humidity with daytime temps in the mid 80's and night time temps in the 60's. Yes, there are railroad tracks and a gravel pit near the fairgrounds, but you won't be camping in them. In fact, they have this wonderful new soft green stuff all over the ground in the camping area. It's called grass! I understand it's kind of rare in Florida, so maybe Fiordmann isn't familiar with it...:bliss

BradfordBenn said:
There is a reason I moved away from Florida to a place with Snow and seasons.

August in Orlando 98 degrees 98 percent relative humidity. Thunderstorm between 3:17PM and 4:03PM Daily!

THAT is the reason I live in the Keys :idea and not in (B)Orlando as the seabreezes keeps everything kinda under control :evil
I must admit that I am looking forward getting outta here as the heat in Florida is oppressing in July and August, even in the Keys it can get quite steamy at times :D
However Brad, SNOW?!?!?! AAAAARGH What is that stuff!!! I only see that in my baitfreezer!!:bliss :bliss :D

Snow is fun, plus usually does not required evacuation. When I was building AmericanAirlines Arena, I rembmer being told to evacuate. Have not been told to evacuate yet for snow. However I have had snow days.

Plus it makes the wife and dogs happy.

I will admit that after the first month of winter I do get a little tired of the snow. But watching hockey seems to be more natural when it is snowing outside then from the hot tub.

You are right about the evacs, although I have not done any since huricane George in 98. I stayed for Irene and it was cool to do huricane parties:bliss
Ofcourse I remember snow from living in Indy in the early 80's
and it has its charm but I don't want to live in it anymore.:cry
Visiting would be cool (in more than one way:evil :evil) as long as I don't have to shovel the stuff!!:eek :bliss
See you in Spokane!!!, rain, snow or shine!!!:clap :clap

Re: Re: Weather in Spokane

JetDoc said:
Do I detect sour grapes from someone who's got his nickers in a twist because the rally is not in his back yard this year?:brow

Spokane has some wonderful summer weather. Expect low humidity with daytime temps in the mid 80's and night time temps in the 60's. Yes, there are railroad tracks and a gravel pit near the fairgrounds, but you won't be camping in them. In fact, they have this wonderful new soft green stuff all over the ground in the camping area. It's called grass! I understand it's kind of rare in Florida, so maybe Fiordmann isn't familiar with it...:bliss
:snore We do have one major thing in Florida that you lack in Idaho - yearround riding! Of course you have potatos and Neo-Nazis.

Re: Re: Re: Weather in Spokane

Fiordmann said:
:snore We do have one major thing in Florida that you lack in Idaho - yearround riding! Of course you have potatos and Neo-Nazis.

You forgot to mention the excellent twisties and mountain roads FL is known for.

;)

Back