• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which do you prefer..airhawk, beads, or sheepskin

Beads

My 60 year old bones seem less tolerate than most and I begin to complain after 200 miles but I don't have as much to set on as most folks. It helps to take a coffee break every hour or so, to get the blood moving. I've used Corbin and liked it.

Just took a trip to Destin Florida and I tried Beads on my stock bike. As far as I am concerned beads are Worthless. I will never use them again.

Last edited:
Beads work for me

Beaded seat cover on a stock '07 K12GT seat work for me here in southern Arizona. The ventilation and massage-like qualities of the beads are effective! Taking a 10-15 minute stretch break every 90 minutes helps as well. Ditto on the wicking underwear; cotton is not the choice for comfort. Hope this helps.:thumb

Cycle shorts should be available at any good cycling--bicycle--shop. Be prepared to spend fifty bucks for a quality pair. Those $100+ varieties are unnecessary.

Beaded seat cover

Hi,

Nothing is as rewarding as leading the group ride....wiggles my butt on my beaded seat cover enjoying the massage while those behind me are squirming with Chips scratching their butts!

Beaded seat cover is the answer. You can ride 12 hours and feel comfortable. It allows air circulation... keeps you above the moisture if its wet and is inexpensive.

Buying new seats usually does not work and is usually an exercise in creating future conversation about what a smart decision you made.

thanks .

After a rather uncomfortable 600+ mile ride to Biketoberfest this past Oct, I decided I would try anything to help rid me of the terrible butt pain that the stock seat on my 08 RT was giving me. I bought a Sheepskin cover, Bead Rider, and an Air Hawk. I found the sheepskin helped relieve some of the pain but not entirely. It did however provide a more comfortable feel. The Bead rider was a little wierd at first, but on a hot day it kept my butt cool with air circulating through the beads. It felt a litttle better than the sheepskin. Lastly, I walked into the J&P store and met an Airhawk salesperson that must have been there for the week. I sat on a demo and talked to him for about fifteen minutes. I contemplated spending the money, but figured if it helped the ride home it would be worth it. It by far was the most comfortable of the three, with regards to a long haul. Once I got the air pressure right, it helped a lot. All in all I guess the Beadrider and the Airhawk will be keepers. While the Airhawk was best for the long ride, once I got on the twisties the mushy feel took away that "planted" feeling in the seat. I think the Beadrider would suit the twisties best. Inevitably looks like I am going to end up buying a Corbin seat. I have one on my Electra Glide and like the firm feel. I can always use the Airhawk on it to change the feel if I like anyway. The main problem with the stock RT seat is that it does not have enough butt surface, so hopefully I will achieve that perfect ride when I get something for my aching behind.

A little long-winded, but that is my story!

I just got the the Alaska Leather deluxe sheepskin. I can't give much of a review for long range comfort yet. But, I can vouch for the quality. Excellent. Not like the typical sheepskin. Very dense and immediately improves the comfort of my bike over the stock seat, which I thought was fine up to about 200 miles.

When I bought my 95 R1100RSL in Feb 2007, the seller gave me a bead cover that had never be used. I threw in the garage cover and never gave it another thought. However having done a few 500+ days on the stock seat, I started looking at the cost of a new seat. Expensive. I was planning for Gillette and knew I needed to do something with 600 mile days ahead 3 at a time. I remembered the bead seat and gave it a go. It certainly made a difference. As mentioned and the the ventilation and the added thrill of a cheap massage. While in Gillette, one of the vendors ws selling $20 sheepskins (seconds). Another rider there raved about them so I bought one. What a difference. My first day on my trip home I did 650 miles with a lot more ease than with the beads. However I never experienced rain. Thanks Will Traubel.

John Gerrard

BEADS !!
The first time I took the R1150R to Mexico I used a BUTT BUFFER. It was OK. I then bought a Sargeant and have never really liked it. I need to sell it. Last spring I went back to Mexico and used a bead seat. It was great. Actually the stock seat is OK for me, However, I like the beads.

I like my beads from BeadRider.com. I have them on my Sargent. Sheepskin didn't do much for me. My R12GS distance/pain per seat:
  • Stocker - Uncomfortable after 45 minutes. Really sore after 90 minutes. Three hours or 200 miles was seriously painful. Five hours or 300 miles was pure torture.
  • Stock + Alaska Buttpad sheepskin - Not much better. But the people at Alaska Leather are helpful and very nice. I sincerely wish their product worked better for me.
  • Sargent - Up to 200 miles is easy. Kind of sore when over 300 miles, but not too bad. Ready to get off after 400 miles, though. But 400 miles on the Sargent is still better than 200 miles on the stocker.
  • Sargent + BeadRider - I've had one ride of ~350 miles and I didn't feel remotely sore with this combination. Certainly better than the Sargent alone, but I haven't yet tried a solid 400+ mile ride.
One day I'd like to do some serious distance riding. If I have to pay the money for a Russell, I will. But I'm hoping that my Sargent/Beadrider combination will do the trick.

Last edited:
Limits

05 GS 1200 without beads. Range: 50 miles and a sore butt

05 GS 1200 with beads. Range: no limit, butt sore no more....

Beads!

Talk to me sometime about warranty and great customer service!

My BeadRider arrived a couple of weeks ago. I put it on the seat of my RTP with the goal of preventing the dreaded puddle of water that develops on rainy days.

My BeadRider now sits on a shelf in my garage. Maybe I'll use it on a really wet day, and I'll likely take it along my 5K mile trip to Alaska next summer, but for daily riding I couldn't get used to it.

The device made my butt way too slippery while wearing my 'Stich. My thighs would ache after a ride from gripping the tank with my knees. The BeadRider also made me much taller in the saddle, making the ground a longer reach for my leg and putting my head farther up in the slipstream and rain - regardless of windscreen position. Considering the beads are only a 1/4 inch in diameter, I was amazed at how the device changed my position on the bike. It made a HUGE difference of how the bike feels under me.

The BeadRider appears well-made, and I experienced seamless customer service when ordering the product - but it just doesn't like my bike and/or my butt and/or my riding style.

My next step is to put a rebuilt saddle from Rich's (here in Seattle) on my list of upgrades to perform before the Alaska trip.

My BeadRider arrived a couple of weeks ago. I put it on the seat of my RTP with the goal of preventing the dreaded puddle of water that develops on rainy days.

My BeadRider now sits on a shelf in my garage. Maybe I'll use it on a really wet day, and I'll likely take it along my 5K mile trip to Alaska next summer, but for daily riding I couldn't get used to it.

The device made my butt way too slippery while wearing my 'Stich. My thighs would ache after a ride from gripping the tank with my knees. The BeadRider also made me much taller in the saddle, making the ground a longer reach for my leg and putting my head farther up in the slipstream and rain - regardless of windscreen position. Considering the beads are only a 1/4 inch in diameter, I was amazed at how the device changed my position on the bike. It made a HUGE difference of how the bike feels under me.

The BeadRider appears well-made, and I experienced seamless customer service when ordering the product - but it just doesn't like my bike and/or my butt and/or my riding style.

My next step is to put a rebuilt saddle from Rich's (here in Seattle) on my list of upgrades to perform before the Alaska trip.

I know the feeling of setting up a bit taller, which at 6 ft., I still can flat foot stops with the GS. The rolly polly aspect does take some getting used to, but I usually ride with weight distributed by both legs? (I don't know if that makes sense) so once you reconise that you can only slip so much in any direction, it is old hat and no problem.

For me the long ride is possible, the back ache is over, and each time I turn a bead to the next tiny spot on the tush, the butt says "thankyou"! Like so many other things in life, what is good for one may not be for the other, cause setting in sheepsin is like wearing a hot diaper for me, yet I know many who can't go without em!

I'm not giving up on the BeadRider. I'll try it the next time I'm going to spend a couple hours in the saddle instead of my usual stop and go commute routine. My commute involves lots of shifting and braking, so I'm all over the bike making it work. Perhaps with a more leisurely pace associated with a long trip I'll get to sit back and enjoy the thing.

I'm also interested in discovering how it feels while wearing jeans as opposed to the 'Stich. I'll let you know how that works out next July when it stops raining here.

beads away

i had a spot that had to be patched on the corbin which didn't seal totally so my left cheek does get semi wet if in the rain. The beads worked out as a cheap fix compared to getting the seat reupholstered. But like a few others said, you can move around for a bit of a massage. h

Saddles are such a personal thing. My experience with your concerns:

The device made my butt way too slippery while wearing my 'Stich. My thighs would ache after a ride from gripping the tank with my knees.
I read about that problem before I bought a BeadRider. I've had no slipping issues. Perhaps its the shape of the Sargent on which I have the beads.

The BeadRider also made me much taller in the saddle, making the ground a longer reach for my leg and putting my head farther up in the slipstream and rain - regardless of windscreen position. Considering the beads are only a 1/4 inch in diameter, I was amazed at how the device changed my position on the bike. It made a HUGE difference of how the bike feels under me.
There is no doubt that the BeadRider adds a bit of height and a corresponding reach to the ground. Again, its all a personal thing. I notice the added height with my Aeroflow. My eyes were an inch or inch and a half above the screen, and they're now a solid two inches or more depending on how I'm sitting. But I notice no additional noise or buffeting. True with the reach to the ground, too. I notice the slight difference, but its virtually nothing.

me too

I have an Alaskan and it works well for me(works in the rain all day too)-I see no purpose in 800k days anyway!Once I have gone 300-500k my day needs to end anyway, sore butt or not! If you wash it with Woolite it bounces back nicely.
I have a very short inseam and need to find comfort without raising my feet any further from the ground, so I am curious what works well, but in view of being vertically challenged too. BTW, the beads @ Whitehorse are on backorder until June 18th! I have a nephew that drives over the road and he says the beads don't work for him. It seems to be a matter of a bunch of factors, so an individual solution. It seems that tooling down the road on beads will be kinda "wiggly"? Respond to that thought please...
Has anyone tried the guy that you send your OEM saddle to and he repads it-apparently costs much less that the other custom choices?
I have to ask-what causes the BMW people to build a seat that is so uncomfortable to the extent that an industry grows out of their ineptitude?My German cars have very comfortable seats, both BMW and Audi, so where is the ergonomic disconnect coming from on the bikes? Having your boys jammed into the gas tank surely isn't unique to Americans?Have not some of you long time BMW types ever asked them ,JUST WHY!?!

i've asked the same question. no one knows why bmw can't make a seat that satisfies at least SOME of the riders.:banghead :banghead . my 1983 honda intercepter saw many a long day with very good comfort.

pure comfort

As per Motorcycle Consumer News the Freedom Air Seat is way better than the Air Hawk.
It is made by a company that makes air inflated pads for medical uses and the seat pad really works well. I have done about thirty 8a.m. to midnight rides and I just about have forgotten about seat discomfort on my 02 1150 rt. At 6'4" ht. and 270 lbs. it also relaxes
my legs a bit. Their service is great- I have bought two of them. Note-do not stand up on the pegs going through small towns after 14 hours in the saddle without tying the pad to your seat. Ask me how I know that-duh. BTW my 2000 Honda VFR saddle has been all day long comfortable from the start with no mods every done to it. Go figure.

Sheapskin beads ect..

I have a 99 LT

I used a sheapskin on a 96 Voyager with success but found it useless on the LT.

I have used Beads for 2 seasons and they solved the monkey but problem for me.

I agree that cotton shorts are to be avoided.

I think it is an individule thing and it depends on the bike seat. I think it is worthwhile to try the alternatives before investing in a new seat.

Karl

Beads and more

I never thought I would be commenting on items sucha s this... but they are great solutions.. Don't know about Freedom.. or the others, but my best riding buddy uses beads on hi R11S and he swears by them. He is 6'2" and can ride on that stock seat all day without a complaint... thx to the beads of course.. Made a believe ro out of me.
Bill Kniegge
www.bluestradatours.com

Back