• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Special Events Planned for Men?

it seems that several of the respondents have interpreted my initial post as objecting to the list of activities set aside for women. If you read my initial post you will see that I said nothing of the kind.

That's exactly how I interpreted it. Only after rereading for a fifth time, do I see that, in fact, you are not objecting to women's activities. I don't know if it was the perceived tone of your message or its unexpected content, but that is how I interpreted it.

I can see that I was wrong, and I also apologize. No one of our members should feel ridiculed for making a suggestion.

Thank you, Sue and Karol! Your comments were well stated.

Although I enjoy riding and have never been in a situation I can't handle, I still get the "what ifs" when I'm out alone. I know I am not the only female rider to feel this way. I caught some flack about our women-only weekend trip that's coming up and again I say, this is not about excluding men, it's about overcoming insecurities, and fears to create more independent women.

I think the area I live in plays a big part in my skills, confidence, and insecurities. The traffic and congestion combined with the attitude of every driver for themselves makes it a dangerous way to travel. Someday I hope to have Voni's , Sue's and Gail's confidence but it won't come overnight.

And, like I've often said, it's not a gender thing. Insecurities are shared by both women and men riders. It's great when we can support each other. I've often though of the Women Who Ride seminar as the thinking and feeling side of motorcycling. Women seem to be able to share their emotions more readily and to offer and to accept encouragement to and from each other.

I'm more "rider" than "woman".

And when I ride, I'm still scared. Not the blind panic I felt when I first rode, but the fear that keeps me looking for ways to ride smart.

And seminars support that. Bring it on ; )

For all of us.

Voni
sMiling

it seems that several of the respondents have interpreted my initial post as objecting to the list of activities set aside for women. If you read my initial post you will see that I said nothing of the kind.

Hey -- you are right, and I do apologize for not addressing your real question.

So, speaking as co-chair of the Seminar committee, please tell me what kind of seminars you would like to have, geared specifically to men? Seriously.....

Thanks.

Perhaps some discussion and or guide to

evaluating ones continuing competence or incompetence (not incontinence) to operate a motorcycle as one ages. Medical conditions and the effects of aging that have a bearing on this & Strategies for extending ones riding years safely.

Understanding the effects of various medications often used by older persons (blood pressure/ Blood thinner, diabetes etc) on ones ability to safely operate a MC, Possible strategies to minimize negative effects.

Possible long term prostrate effects from extended periods of riding as well as circulatory problems from this (Leg Clots etc)

Exercises, both mental and physical that can better prepare a rider for the task of riding.

I suppose that there isn't much that is particularly male oriented here. Motorcycling is in many ways much more physically and mentally demanding than driving a car. It would seem that a better understanding of the above and other similar subjects would be of value to discuss at the rally.

Vanity amongst us geezers might just limit attendance.

Perhaps some discussion and or guide to

evaluating ones continuing competence or incompetence (not incontinence) to operate a motorcycle as one ages. Medical conditions and the effects of aging that have a bearing on this & Strategies for extending ones riding years safely.

Understanding the effects of various medications often used by older persons (blood pressure/ Blood thinner, diabetes etc) on ones ability to safely operate a MC, Possible strategies to minimize negative effects.

Possible long term prostrate effects from extended periods of riding as well as circulatory problems from this (Leg Clots etc)

Exercises, both mental and physical that can better prepare a rider for the task of riding.

I suppose that there isn't much that is particularly male oriented here. Motorcycling is in many ways much more physically and mentally demanding than driving a car. It would seem that a better understanding of the above and other similar subjects would be of value to discuss at the rally.

Vanity amongst us geezers might just limit attendance.

Well, amiles.....now that the preditable humor has settled down (I don't think anyone intended to brutally ridicule you - that's just our Alpha Male testosterone kicking in, as usual), here are some suggestions to the Seminar Committee as to how to facilitate discussions along his concepts:

1 - The MSF has a classroom-only based curriculum, about 4 hours in length, entitled "The Seasoned Rider," which specifically addresses how aging affects our ability to ride a motorcycle. Perhaps a RiderCoach could be enlisted to condense this into a shorter format (i.e. one hour) and present it as a seminar.

2 - amiles raises concerns that could only be legitimately addressed by a health care professional at an MD level - perhaps someone in our ranks that could put together a little half hour snipet about changing health issues in men as we age, and how they might relate to operating a motorcycle or managing lengthy tours.

3 - A lot of pharmacology issues were raised. Perhaps a pharmacist (or even the MD from the 'previous half hour presentation') could talk about common meds, both over-the-counter and prescription, and how they affect our ability to ride.

4 - A physical therapist could talk about the importance of stretching, taking breaks, on-the-road nutrition, etc. as a common sense prep for long-distance touring.

Just food for thought.....Bon Appetite.

Last edited:
A note from the peanut gallery

Well, amiles.....

4 - A physical therapist could talk about the importance of stretching, taking breaks, on-the-road nutrition, etc. as a common sense prep for long-distance touring.

Trying to make amens here..:p .Although a PT could discuss flexing, an OT (Occupational Therapist) could address the specific muscles and flex needed to motor down the road for years to come. I don't believe either an OT or PT could or would address diet, but the effects of riding on our old bones would be right up their alley!

I know my OT wife solved some of my arm numbing issues simply by addressing how I was gripping (too tight) and my overall body mechanics (poor) and the height of the actual grip.

Having said that, I can't push pull or ride her to a motorcyle rally, so maybe another OT in our mix could step up here? A class like this could be quite universal in it's scope for both young and old men and women!

Just a thought!

Red

HUG time:)

I think we all need a "HUG" session:) Lets all hug and make up! It would be good for us all:). I'm enjoying the thread, really and find it full of good ideas. Happy Trails, Randy13233,"Polarbear". PS; sometimes I really need a hug, getting on and off my newly purchased GSA1200. I'm learning to stretch my older bones/muscles in places they have not done so in recent years! I wonder if BMW would sell a stepping stool(collapsable) to mount my GSA:). Best to all:)

I think we all need a "HUG" session:) Lets all hug and make up! It would be good for us all:). I'm enjoying the thread, really and find it full of good ideas. Happy Trails, Randy13233,"Polarbear". PS; sometimes I really need a hug, getting on and off my newly purchased GSA1200. I'm learning to stretch my older bones/muscles in places they have not done so in recent years! I wonder if BMW would sell a stepping stool(collapsable) to mount my GSA:). Best to all:)

Ain't that the truth??? Actually a hug if done properly does stretch weary muscles....You can be the hugger and huggee. Try it! It stretches those muscles that have been stressed when we ride our GS's. :hug

Regarding seminars....Ray Z usually offers a "Seasoned Rider" course developed by the MSF.

Andrea Borella often offers seminars on stretching.
There was a seminar in 07 entitled: MY_______HURTS: Stretching and Strengthening for Motorcyclists

I also noted a seminar entitled "Protection from a "Silent Killer" When You Ride
Not sure who did it, but it may have been regarding DVT (deep vein thrombosis)

I'm sure Sue and Susanna are listening, and taking notes. Now all they need are some willing presenters.:stick

Extending the Ride

A seminar was done in Charleston, WV addressing exactly the topics AMILES is suggesting. Memory is a little foggy, but it may have been called "Extending the Ride." It was co-presented by Dave Cwi and Dr. Sean Barrett. It was standing room only with plenty of Q & A.

Our club just purchased the Seasoned Rider course material from the MSF. We showed the video and had a presentation at a recent club meeting and it sparked alot of thoughtful discussion (and no less than a few jokes). It was one of our best club meeting ever as everyone shared their experiences.

AMILES,

Last year there was a seminar presented by Dave Cwi and Dr. Sean Barret. The title was Extending the Ride: Ride Prep and Pain Management for Riders of All Ages. Some of the topics you mention were brought up in the Q&A session. Every seat was taken and even the standing room was very limited.

Maybe there is something like that in the works for this year.

Back