• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Out of storage>then I drop my bike

M

mrich12000

Ever it seems to be a productive day, get the tink >my bike ready for the comming season< only this year there is a problem with electrics and the diff is leaking oil.

Thats not what I want talk about here... :banghead :banghead :banghead :scratch :dunno I seems that I could place her on the stand to do the work when I placed her in starage but today <and it was a nice ride to my buddy Dave's where I do this annualy,> but today I learnd that at 56 I am not superman. Over the winter and not getting out I've become fat and a mass of winter jello. So when I tried to place tink on her centre stand :stick Timber and a lot unothodox words came out of this Catholic Gentlman
anyway no harm done as this year may inlude the paint work I need.
So I was wondering has anyone else has a slip of the tounge or just a bad stationary upset?:bottle :doh

I had the bike on the side stand all winter, out in the driveway and covered. I didn't drop it this time, but the pivots on the center-stand wouldn't budge without being lubricated. We all get creaky and older.

That kind of thing happens sometimes. It happened to me, and a lot of others.

I would not worry about it.

Mark it as a lesson well learned, and be glad no one was hurt. :thumb

Easy:german

"They're funny things, Accidents. You never have them till you're having them."
Eeyore

Took my bike off the centre stand yesterday Mike, trying out a (new to me) seat. Each time that I put it back on the centre stand, it did require more of a grunt than last year. I have kept in shape over the winter so I will simply put it down to the grease in centre stand becoming somewhat sluggish sitting in the unheated garage over the winter.

drop bike

"There are those who have, and those who will."

I dropped my airhead a few times. Once I was backing it out of the garage and brushed my new mountain bike with my back and it started to fall over. I lifted my lower leg to catch it on my calf, and when I turned back around the RS was down.

Another time was when I parked it in a shed at my brother's place in BC, on uneven river stones (the Dutch call them "kinder kopjes"). I slipped while taking it off the center stand and over she went.

And I've almost dropped it a few times from losing my footing in gravel.

I was gassing up at Cooke City next to a lady on a beautiful Harley, when it went down. Her SO immediately came to her assistance and a few minutes later I asked her if she was OK. She said "I am, but my ego isn't" I replied: "That's why I ride boxers; they don't fall as far."

Rinty

After 32 years of riding Airheads with the spring loaded sidestands, I was so happy that my '07 R1200R had a locking stand. But, one morning as I pulled up to the curb to park at work, I didn't have it locked in all the way and she went down as I was dismounting. The irony.

Dropping my bike while not moving is why I switched from an RT to a CL. Dropped the RT about 5 times in '06 because it was simply that much too tall for m. Dropped the CL once last year but I was actually moving (very slowly) and locked up the front tire (it was turned a bit to the right). Gravity wins more times than not in those cases.

Early in the riding season being a bit awkward while wrangling the bike around the garage should be taken as a reminder/warning that we will also be lacking some finesse in our operation of the machine.

It's always good to take it easy until you get your sea-legs back.

Tinks getting better

:p
Early in the riding season being a bit awkward while wrangling the bike around the garage should be taken as a reminder/warning that we will also be lacking some finesse in our operation of the machine.

It's always good to take it easy until you get your sea-legs back.

:gerg :ca :beer And as you said bow sea leggs. Today did some major electrical I had been ignoring and boy are my arms and back sore from trying to do the caching Thing with Tink, Today I am off to Durham BMW to get them to install a pinion diff seal and also off to a local Caliper rebuilder for my rear unit. Boy you, when I checked the rear brakes I found only one pad was working, :bottle scary, All this to go riding for this season I think it's worth it.The Loonie-tic BMW club do a lot of riding in the comming months so I hade better make sure she's in great shape,see ya all and thanks for the reply's..:bow :bow Michael

I dropped my H-D Ultra in the garage. It was on a jack and I had just finished putting an oil cooler on it. I put the side stand up to wipe up some oil I spill and forgot to put it back down. When I let the jack down the bike kept going.:doh

I dropped my H-D Ultra in the garage. It was on a jack and I had just finished putting an oil cooler on it. I put the side stand up to wipe up some oil I spill and forgot to put it back down. When I let the jack down the bike kept going.:doh

Owwwwwch:cry :cry

Dropping them

Both the wife and I have "initiated" our machines with 0 MPH topples. Just today I had to jog back about 500 feet and see if she was OK after she did not materialize behind me on SR62 north, just north of Palm Springs. Turns out she revved it (R1200GS) up, popped the clutch and did a small wheely loosing control and falling off to the right. No real damage to either due to proper safety equipment on both high value items. Some nice folks in the car behind her helped her "right" her machine, by the time I arrived. Fortunately to date, pride seems to be the most fragile item in all of these 0 MPH incidences for us.
Cheers
Dave, Dot & Freckles Doggie

Be Careful

Be very careful when trying to stop your bike from falling over. Several years ago mine started to go over when I had a slight bobble aggravated by a sloped parking space and a miscue with the self retracting kick-stand.

I didn't give up trying to hold it up until I had torn a muscle in my upper left arm. The Ortho Doc informed me that mine being torn way up in the shoulder made it inoperable.

Ya gotta know when to let go. Injured pride heals quicker than injured body parts.

Last edited:
Sad but no physo

Both the wife and I have "initiated" our machines with 0 MPH topples. Just today I had to jog back about 500 feet and see if she was OK after she did not materialize behind me on SR62 north, just north of Palm Springs. Turns out she revved it (R1200GS) up, popped the clutch and did a small wheely loosing control and falling off to the right. No real damage to either due to proper safety equipment on both high value items. Some nice folks in the car behind her helped her "right" her machine, by the time I arrived. Fortunately to date, pride seems to be the most fragile item in all of these 0 MPH incidences for us.
Cheers
Dave, Dot & Freckles Doggie

Be very careful when trying to stop your bike from falling over. Several years ago mine started to go over when I had a slight bobble aggravated by a sloped parking space and a miscue with the self retracting kick-stand.

I didn't give up trying to hold it up until I had torn a muscle in my upper left arm. The Ortho Doc informed me that mine being torn way up in the shoulder made it inoperable.

Ya gotta know when to let go. Injured pride heals quicker than injured body parts.
To know when It's time to let the pride of your life fall is just that LIke Daves wife was an oops off, and the parking lot off was one that I think we all have had and you know the unit weighs 3x more than you do, ya have to say to your self is it worth 12 weeks of physo well I did and over she went . Hope Dots Ok :heart
this has been nice relating to the silly spills and :stick you know there are more stories to tell so come on tell us some more...

Last edited:

You are absolutely correct. When the bike gets to the point of no stopping its downward slide, I go from hold it up mode to put it down as gently as I can without physically injuring myself. Other than 3 broken mirrors on the RT in '06, the worst damage has been the inevitable scratches.

A few years ago I lifted the bike off the centre stand away, from me and over it went to the right. Boy, did the garage door come fast before any of the neighbours could see my clumsiness/embarrassment. Lifted it back up and then opened the door. I tend to sit on it now before taking if off the centre stand. Stuff happens.

Last year I was putting my bike up on the center stand when my foot slipped off - I lurched, the bike lurched, and fell against my car! The bad part was I couldn't figure out how to pick it up. If I got on the saddle side to pick it up like you're supposed to, my knees hit the car. If I turned around to pick it up the way you're not supposed to, my butt hit the car. Yikes! I ended up calling a fellow club member who lives nearby. Between him pulling and me lifting, we finally got the bike upright.

I better not do that again - now I have a new car! (Not because of the dent and scratch).:doh

Muriel

This is precisely why my RT has crash bars. I have no illusions about what the crash bars will or won't do should I put her down going 70 mph, but a tip-over in the garage should be no big deal. RT plastic is just like the plastic on other BMW models - plentiful and expensive to replace!

Counting down the days until I knock mine over...

Hopefully you didn't have too many witnesses. That's always the worst part. Forget breaking your own bike. Just don't do it in front of anyone. The first day I was riding my old K75 I came to a stop about three blocks from home. A bunch of the local trouble-maker high school age kids were hanging around. For whatever reason, I simply forgot to put my foot down when the bike came to a stop. Gravity took over and over she went. Having those punks watch me dump my bike and then grunt and strain lifting it back up again was way worse than discovering a couple new scratches on the plastic parts that hit the pavement.

Thank you to all who replied :bow :bow Tinks rear pinon is now repaired by the experts at Durham BMW young lad came and took it in had it back in 4 hours cost $101.56 can Great job also repaired the stuck Brembo rear caliper at Midland Caliper Harry did a great job for 60.00can get her back together tonight. again thanks to you all.:bow :bow :bow great stories by the way..:clap :clap

Back