• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

how much is service on an F bike?

dpmonk

P Monk
I am trying to decide on buying a classic /6 or /7 as a second bike or possibly an ST for solo riding.

I would love to have a 75/6 like my first BMW to ride to rally's and antique bike meets, but I am really tempted by the simplicity and seemingly low cost of operation of an ST assuming they don't cost as much to be mantained by a BMW shop as my prior LT and RT's did.

I am assuming the valves are adjusted by shims right?

How often does do they require adjustment?

I am trying to decide on buying a classic /6 or /7 as a second bike or possibly an ST for solo riding.

I would love to have a 75/6 like my first BMW to ride to rally's and antique bike meets, but I am really tempted by the simplicity and seemingly low cost of operation of an ST assuming they don't cost as much to be mantained by a BMW shop as my prior LT and RT's did.

I am assuming the valves are adjusted by shims right?

How often does do they require adjustment?

For the new F twins:
The 600 check takes .7 hrs flat rate...all these times following are BMW's flate rate schedule...multiply the flat rate hrs by the dealer hourly rate. For example, a dealer going by the flat rate for the 600 and charging 72/hr would charge about $50 for labor.
And:
6K takes .8 hrs
6K plus annual takes .8 hrs
Inspection takes 1.2 hrs
Bleeding entire brake system takes .6 hrs.

Valve check takes 1.0 hrs and the adjustment if needed takes an additional .8 hrs.

The new 4 cyl bikes have similar flat rates for similar service, the GT somewhat more. They require draining and renewing the coolant for valve check and adjustment and that takes about .5 hrs more.

The twins such as the RT take about an hour more in every case due to the need to remove fairing panels.

Rough estimates, without pulling out the receipts, F800ST services have been $200+CA$. That includes parts.

After 25000kms I have had the breakin, and 2 annuals done. Nothing on the valves yet. The annuals are for the most part just an inspection as the computer reports what needs to be done.

No splines or final drive stuff cause the belt is supposed to last 40,000kms. We are expecting more than that, but as few 800s are at that point it is hard to tell.

The new 08 models have no set service interval, it is all based on the computer reports.

For everything F800, visit BMWMOA charter club #338 http://f800riders.org/forum/portal.php

BMW is applying their CAR;

Good Flash, I agree! BMW is applying their car mentality to the bike side of the company. I don't think they are linked, but the car folks are rubbing off on the two wheelers at BMW! The cars have had long term, no service items for a few years now and I feel it may be crossing over to our bikes. Probably won't work, imo. The new FD's are a good example and failures are abundant, even with the last FD's failing, before this new style came out with the "Hole"through it. I like the new FD design, but NO service is kind of a joke for BMW:). Maybe they'll get there, but at who's cost? OURS! Riding along on vacation and boom, a failure:(, Truck it home:(. Been there, done that. I'm not impressed with the BMW high tech longevity at this point and they at BMW have a lot to prove to get back to something they once had...."Longevity", is it gone? Randy13233:doh

Decision

A 74 R90/6 made the F800ST craving a moot point!
The $200 canadian service doesn't sound too bad specially when you count in the
low fuel cost made possible by a 60 mpg+ motorcycle.

I hope when BMW intro's the 1850 GL killer they build a low cost to maintain motorcycle with no reliability issues. Even hydraulic lifters and no valve adjustments would be nice!!! How about a belt drive, Worked well on the 4 Electraglides I owned!
The first valve check on my Goldwing is not scheduled until 30K miles! Most everyone I know that have them say don't bother, with checking them ever. However the plastic removal necessary to change an air filter is utterly ridiculous!

Not to hijack the thread I started though, I am still interested in the ST at some point, but for the foreseeable future I am planning on having a lot of fun with the 90/6!!!!

Back