• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boatload of new F650GSes runs aground

100,000+ miler
I was at the dealer yesterday and they said they were told by BMW Canada that their initial allocation of F650GSes was on a ship that had run aground in the Saguenay region of Quebec. Supposedly there were 5 tugs trying to free it to no avail. Dealer said they were glad they hadn't scheduled an introductory event since there is no idea when the ship will be freed.

I was at the dealer yesterday and they said they were told by BMW Canada that their initial allocation of F650GSes was on a ship that had run aground in the Saguenay region of Quebec. Supposedly there were 5 tugs trying to free it to no avail. Dealer said they were glad they hadn't scheduled an introductory event since there is no idea when the ship will be freed.

I guess this explains why the dealer has not called about delivery of my wifes new 650 gs Twin.....Has anyone seen anything on this in the news? I couldn't find anything

I guess the Touratech parts we have ordered may make it here before the bike (LOL, its like watching 2 turtles racing...)

I'm hoping that my wifes F800ST isn't stranded on that ship. But given her track record at ordering new bikes, it probably is. Her Bonneville was delayed when the Triumph factory burned down. :doh

My bike on this ship as well. A crane is unloading about 400 conainers to lighten the load so that it can make it's way to Montreal for unloading.

Keep your fingers crossed!

My bike is on a ship and my dad's is on a pedestal at our new BMW dealer in Ottawa.

Have fun.

I'm hoping that my wifes F800ST isn't stranded on that ship. But given her track record at ordering new bikes, it probably is. Her Bonneville was delayed when the Triumph factory burned down. :doh

So does this mean your wife is taking responsibility for this one? http://forums.bmwmoa.org/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I was working in France last year when the container ship lost some sea cans and they floated to British shoreline - some contained BMW bikes, there were pictures of guys wheeling off brand new bikes.

I think BMW needs to look at another shipping company.....

The great lakes' water levels are at an all time low.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/14/us/14lakes.html
Let's hope that when all the snow up there melts this spring it fills them back up.

More than 2 billion gallons a day of water is diverted from Lake Michigan to Chicago and northern Illinois for water supplies there.

It is not inconceivable that one day the St. Lawrence will run like the Rio Grande when more and more of the Great Lakes water in siphoned off to slake the thirst of cities and agriculture in the Midwest and Southwest of the US.

They have removed about 7000 tonnes from the ship. Low water levels on the St-Lawrence are preventing it from leaving. Seems like the end of the week before they try again.

From www.radio-canada.ca/nouvelles

Not sure if BMW Canada will try to recoup it's shipping charges.

Back