• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Convert K100RS to Standard

T

tehuti1

I just bought a pristine 1985 K100RS with low miles and promptly wrecked the upper and right side fairing beyond repair. Can anyone give me advice on converting this bike to a standard? It still runs and rides great, just looks like hell... I have not yet found out what parts I would need to make it into a standard bike, but I would love to do it.

Thanks,
Bill

was pristine

Ride it the way it is.
Use duct tape to patch it.
Ride it that way until you've
taken a riding course and
have ridden without further damage
for a season.

Then, and only then, fix it,
modify it, or trade it for golf clubs.

This is an opportunity for growth.
mXa

Thanks, that was exactly my plan. The bike works fine, I just need to get a couple of things to make it road worthy, and I found out about Bob's BMW catalog last night, where I can actually get the fairing parts I will need to fix it for a price that I am willing to pay. But not until I'm pretty sure I've made all of my stupid mistakes...
Thanks,
Bill

BTW, I did take the MSF beginning rider's course, but that was on a yamaha 125 in a parking lot that was clean of gravel. It didn't prepare me for riding a bike that is 600lbs wet . The first mistake I made, the one that wrecked my windshield, was trying to use the recommended procedure from the manual to get it off the center stand. I was in the garage and lost it and the windshield hit a workbench on the way down. But, it was still ridable, just no windshield. Then, on my rural street, I came into an S curve going about 10 mph, but when I hit that gravel, I panicked and touched the brake with the wheel turned. I knew better, but the response was almost automatic. It slid out from under me, busted up the rear turn signal and scraped up the right lower fairing pretty good. But other than that, no damage to the mechanicals. Two mistakes to not make again!

Time to get back on that horse!
Bill

Back