Thread: Where to mount external reservoir for Ohlins rear shock on an RS

1024JLC

Where to mount Pre-laod adjuster for Ohlins rear shock on an RS

I have a شاض02 R1150RS and have decided to mount some new Ohlins on the bike, but I have a question as to suggestions on where to mount the external reservoir for the rear shock. It does not look like it has a mounting bracket that is compatible with the OEM mounting location. Anyone have any suggestions and/or photos of how they handled this mounting question? I do not want to have to reinvent the wheel if some of you folks have come up with a good mounting suggestion.

Thanks in advance for your usual comments and suggestions.
    Last edited by 1024JLC; 03-24-2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Used work terms

Quote Originally Posted by 1024JLC View Post
    I have a شاض02 R1150RS and have decided to mount some new Ohlins on the bike, but I have a question as to suggestions on where to mount the external reservoir for the rear shock. It does not look like it has a mounting bracket that is compatible with the OEM mounting location. Anyone have any suggestions and/or photos of how they handled this mounting question? I do not want to have to reinvent the wheel if some of you folks have come up with a good mounting suggestion.

Thanks in advance for your usual comments and suggestions.
    External reservoir? Or preload adjuster? If it's the preload adjuster, it'll mount to the rear of the right side passenger footpeg with a bracket and bolt Ohlins will supply.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

1024JLC
    Your right, pre-load adjuster is what I meant. Thanks.

if you use the Ohlins bracket, I'd do something to reinforce it (zip-tie, doubled plate, build your own, etc.) as the stock bracket is prone to failure.
    my buddy built this for me after my Ohlins bracket died (zip-ties to the rescue!)

He said about $60 for you guys.
    Last edited by bikerfish1100; 03-25-2008 at 01:42 AM.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

1024JLC
    Thanks for the info and photo bikerfish1100. My shocks arrived yesterday (just ordered them from Dan Kyle Racing on Monday, and they were delivered on Wednesday afternoon), and they were re-sprung and set-up from my bike, my weight and approximate riding style. Super good service!

It looks like they also mounted the pre-load adjuster to a bracket that should be a direct replacement for the OEM mounting location. I will take some photos when I install this weekend. Everything I have read indicates that these Ohlins, properly set-up, will "transform the ride"; I sure to hope so as they are $$$$. Thanks again!

BTW, the mounting bracket your buddy made is sweet. Nicely done! If I find that I need to go this route I will be in touch.

Nice! Get a helper (or two) to help you set the static sag per the instruction booklet.

You'll love the results.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

1024JLC
    Roger on that skipper.