• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

honestly, How many are waiting for a 800?

Scrambler

I've only had the Scrambler for a few days, brand new. With the snow and all the salt on the roads right now, I've only managed one 30km ride.

The initial impression is it is quite similar to my old '97 F650 in terms of performance and ride. The bars are rubber mounted (like the F650) so you get a bit of low frequency rumble, but not a hand numbing vibration. Of all the BMW's I've owned the F650 is the one I miss the most, so it's a favourable start.

It is an interesting comparison to the F800. Both are vertical twins with comparable displacement, but that's where the similarities end. One liquid cooled, EFI, high output, the other air/oil cooled, carbs, low output.

The F800 will be for making tracks, the Scrambler for back roads and smelling the roses. If you have a look over at the Triumph RAT site, the Scrambler will surprise a lot of people with it's capability off road, and of course a lot of people are trying to extract a lot more HP.

And best of all, IMHO The Scrambler looks stunning.

Last edited:
Dave: Thanks for your input on the Triumph Scrambler; please keep it coming. Thanks!

Dave, Your info on your new Triumph Scrambler is just what I am looking for, please keep your observations coming; particularly regarding any modifications.

85 versus 55 horsepower doesn't mean a pile of beans on the road between Puertecitos and Coco's Corner in Baja California, nor does it make any difference on the AK Haul Road, and it certainly doesn't mean squat on Copper Canyon roads

EFI, liquid cooled and high output HP are liablility offroad solo in Mexico and Yukon!

The more I hear about the Triumph Scrambler, the more intriguing this machine is to me. Especially, since the BMW F800GS that was supposed to be sitting in my garage here in Arizona at this very minute won't show up for at least a year.

And who knows what BMW Motorrad is going to charge us for the 2009 F800GS?

When I put down my $500 last November, with a promised April delivery, the base price was $10,520; with the options I wanted, plus Arizona Tax, Title, Delivery & Setup from BMW of Scottsdale the machine was almost $14,000 to me.

I just went to http://www.cycletrader.com and there were a dozen Triumph Scramblers there for $5-6K, with less than 5,000 miles on those that were listed.

$1K on suspension upgrades, grand for skid plates, crash bars and Al Jesse bags; and I have Mi Mexico Mule for half of what the F800GS will cost. Its still unproven!!

Dave, Your info on your new Triumph Scrambler is just what I am looking for, please keep your observations coming; particularly regarding any modifications.

85 versus 55 horsepower doesn't mean a pile of beans on the road between Puertecitos and Coco's Corner in Baja California, nor does it make any difference on the AK Haul Road, and it certainly doesn't mean squat on Copper Canyon roads

EFI, liquid cooled and high output HP are liablility offroad solo in Mexico and Yukon!

The more I hear about the Triumph Scrambler, the more intriguing this machine is to me. Especially, since the BMW F800GS that was supposed to be sitting in my garage here in Arizona at this very minute won't show up for at least a year.

And who knows what BMW Motorrad is going to charge us for the 2009 F800GS?

When I put down my $500 last November, with a promised April delivery, the base price was $10,520; with the options I wanted, plus Arizona Tax, Title, Delivery & Setup from BMW of Scottsdale the machine was almost $14,000 to me.

I just went to http://www.cycletrader.com and there were a dozen Triumph Scramblers there for $5-6K, with less than 5,000 miles on those that were listed.

$1K on suspension upgrades, grand for skid plates, crash bars and Al Jesse bags; and I have Mi Mexico Mule for half of what the F800GS will cost. Its still unproven!!

:scratch

You seem to be defending the scrambler. No one was, that I know of, attacking it. You said they offered similar power and performance. They don't. I was only clarifying.

As to which would be better suited to Copper Canyon, I'm rather surprised anyone would opt for the completely pavement oriented bonneville with a side exhaust - aka the scrambler. But ride what you want. I'll be waiting, as mentioned, for what I believe will be a far better off pavement machine than either the mild scrambler or my heavy 1150GS.

FWIW, I've ridden the F800ST and the Scrambler. Both were nice bikes.

Scott: I am just trying to build a stop gap bike until an F800GS is available to me!!

http://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=640.0

knary: Your technical information was valid and useful to me. Thank you indeed!

If you go to my Ride Report and Pictures above, and read the text and look at the pictures, you will see that the KLR's and GS's did equally well on the dirt sections to Batopilas. In more technical settings, such as the road to Urique, the heavy GS's are a real handful; and the KLR is as light as a feather in comparison.

I still believe that the BMW F800GS is going to be the "perfect" machine for me, but I still do need to find something suitable to tide me over in the meantime.

I own a 1996 BMW R1100GS, and with turning 60 this year, and having had a major heart attack in 2005 while skin diving in Hawaii, and breaking my right distal fibula on the GS in Mexico on a dirt road in February 2007: Lighter is Better!

What my Ride Report does not reflect, is that on the major highways from Phoenix to Creel, I was riding by my lonesome while my GS friends were up ahead.

No worries to me, except for two years overseas in the US Army, I've lived within 145 miles of the Mexican border and speak Spanish; No problemo, mi amigo!

The KLR simply does not cut it at highway speeds that we Arizona Beemers traditionally ride at, I need a machine with 55 to 85 horsepower that can roll at Autopista speeds with my friends, but still weighing 465 lbs. for this tired old man.

I fully do agree that a ground clearance adjusted, and tire to fender modified clearance, Triumph Scrambler is not a perfect solution to the problem presented!

When all you can get are lemons, you just have to smile and make lemonade. I do wish the F800GS was here! But I'm building a McQueen TR desert sled instead!

Beemerdons; knary

You should read the threadpost here:

showthread.php

A Bird in the Hand

But then...

It will be interesting to see just what how F800GS turns out. They said they are not releasing it yet because of the still high demand for the predecessor.

I suspect they are having production problems of a sort.

The future could be very bright for the F800GS. At least we know it will have less weight, no final drive problems (assuming they put a good O or X chain on it). It will be light and powerful. The seat will probably be somewhat course like its predecessors. At 34.6 inches the seat height will be a little high for the average human, but that might be related to the production set-back. But to be fair, the average height is taller in Germany. But then no one wants to ride a ladder up a canyon.

The windshield will not offer much production, and it does not come with bags.

Not to mention it is an unknown quantity.

I'll wait to see the final product before I start judging it.

Easy :german

"The future will be better tomorrow."
Dan Quayle

Last edited:
Beemerdons,
For an idea what the Scrambler is capable of, have a look at these threads:
http://www.triumphrat.net/ride-trip-reports/79648-burma-border-run-scrambler-vs-gs.html
http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-twins-hangout/80675-scrambler-vs-bmw-gs.html
http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-twins-hangout/64512-scrambler-stealth-project.html
Some people will maintain that the Scrambler isn't fit for adventure touring, I'd submit there is a lot of evidence to the contrary. A friend with an HP2 and I are planning a trip along the Trans-Labrador Highway. The biggest challenge for both bikes will be fuel range, but we'll sort that out.

I have no doubt the F800GS will be more dirt capable, but that doesn't mean the Scrambler can't go off-road. Heck, if you listened to the KTM guys, there aren't any off-road BMWs.;)

Beemerdons; knary

You should read the threadpost here:

showthread.php

But but but that's on a different forum!

Ok, I read it. What was I supposed to glean from it? :scratch

FWIW, I'm a very generic 5'10" or so (I like to say 5'11" but I'm being generous) and am not leggy. I've got a stock Sargent seat that's a good bit taller than the stock seat in the high position on my 1150GS. IOW, it's a tall seat, comparable, IIRC, to the height of the F800GS. As long as I can get some meaty toe down on one side I'm pretty comfy. Anything else and I feel like I'm on a lowrider. :D

Beemerdons,
For an idea what the Scrambler is capable of, have a look at these threads:
http://www.triumphrat.net/ride-trip-reports/79648-burma-border-run-scrambler-vs-gs.html
http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-twins-hangout/80675-scrambler-vs-bmw-gs.html
http://www.triumphrat.net/triumph-twins-hangout/64512-scrambler-stealth-project.html
Some people will maintain that the Scrambler isn't fit for adventure touring, I'd submit there is a lot of evidence to the contrary. A friend with an HP2 and I are planning a trip along the Trans-Labrador Highway. The biggest challenge for both bikes will be fuel range, but we'll sort that out.

I have no doubt the F800GS will be more dirt capable, but that doesn't mean the Scrambler can't go off-road. Heck, if you listened to the KTM guys, there aren't any off-road BMWs.;)

The biggest hurdle to adventure touring is almost never the machine. As I mentioned in another thread, I know a guy that's ridden what I called "the cave bike", an older Sporster 1200, deep into the jungles of Central America many times. Having said that, I can use a flat head screw driver to turn all but the tightest phillips head screws. That doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job. :dunno

For you Scrambler loving folks, I'll be putting my 06 up for sale soon in the fela market. Very low miles with performanc package. My riding season in the mountains is just too short to own two bikes. I should have photos and info up in flea market tomorrow or Monday. If interested PM me in the meantime for more info.
Cheers

But but but that's on a different forum!

Ok, I read it. What was I supposed to glean from it? :scratch

FWIW, I'm a very generic 5'10" or so (I like to say 5'11" but I'm being generous) and am not leggy. I've got a stock Sargent seat that's a good bit taller than the stock seat in the high position on my 1150GS. IOW, it's a tall seat, comparable, IIRC, to the height of the F800GS. As long as I can get some meaty toe down on one side I'm pretty comfy. Anything else and I feel like I'm on a lowrider. :D

Just thought if you were waiting for the F800GS, you'd want to, or deserve to know what it said. It was a great review of the ups and downs of the bike from a fellow S rider. BTW, he (de100kb) is very, very knowledgeable.

Me, I am 5'11.25", 32" length pants (I can also "get away" wearing 34" length in jeans), and the F800S standard seat suits me perfectly height and width wise (it is 32.5" high, from what I've read) in low-heel boots; I am flat-footed when stopped in either. The S's ergos suit me to a T.

Steering-wise, I like to be ball-of-foot dead-on on the pegs, and heels up, so it puts my knees in the perfect place to push the S over in every turn (that keeps the bad shoulder at bay). I carried in a 20 lb. of dog food with the d*mn left arm today, and it was alright, too.

It was that 2-4 hours pushing the top-heavy '97 Bandit 1200SAV that made me scared like a newbie rider again (you don't want to know what I used to do on my Seca II in '94-'97). I am just beginning to reacquire that talent again from riding the F800S. My Reg and Jason Pridmore CLASS training on the Seca II is finally starting to come back. Yahoo!

Some really great valid responses from a lot of knowledgeable motorcycle rider/owners

knary: You are right on about a lot of adventure touring being the rider, not the bike. I have ridden to Batopilas from Creel twice, ten years ago on my R1100GS in wet conditions and just last October in dry conditions on my Kawasaki KLR 650.

As I was recently riding down the switchbacks with the dirt as dry as a bone, the thought occurred to me that I could have taken my Harley-Davidson FXD down to Rio Urique under those conditions with ten pounds of air knocked out of the tires.

I worked in Alaska as a pipefitter, member of United Association Local Union # 669

During one long dry season, I rode my 1984 H-D Electra Glide 80 Shovelhead to Prudhoe and back from our work camp. If it had rained on the Dalton Haul Road I'd have been a dead duck! But Mother Nature cooperated and twas a cake walk.

Tweety 1/Jordan: HIJACK! Are you going to be riding with your fellow AZ Beemers to Mount Lemmon this morning? Tweety 1 puts lots and lots of miles on his F800S.

GSJIHAD: Looking forward to seeing your Triumph Scrambler advertisement in the Flea Market. Would you be interested in taking a Kawasaki KLR 650 in trade? Ha!

32232/Dave: Wowser, do I ever love what Rhodie has done to his Black Beauty Triumph Scrambler. Now, that's what I'm talking about! I'm surprised that the TR Factory has not come out with a Scrambler modified edition just like Rhodie's bike!

Sidenote: Here in Arizona, "Great Escape" with Steve McQueen, was on the telly.

I was watching basketball on my small TV and waiting for the Triumph motorcycle scenes with Steve-O to show up on the big screen. I still think that the chase scenes with Bud Ekins and Steve McQueen on the BMW "Triumphs" are the best!

Just thought if you were waiting for the F800GS, you'd want to, or deserve to know what it said. It was a great review of the ups and downs of the bike from a fellow S rider. BTW, he (de100kb) is very, very knowledgeable.

:thumb

I just thought there was specific point you thought I should take from it. Mostly I noticed the discussion of the bike's ergonomics which I found less than helpful. First, he didn't, as is often the case, describe his proportions. How a person fits a bike is very personal and is greatly determined, of course, by their size. I know guys that find the 1150GS too cramped and others that find the idea of not being able to flat foot simultaneously on both sides just wrong, that any bike that tall is too tall. I obviously disagree. Second, the POV of an S/ST rider doesn't tell me much about the seating position as they'd find GS ergonomics just odd.

In my limited time on an ST, I found myself wishing the seat wasn't so low and the bars so narrow. The bike felt kind of weirdly tiny. But then I've been on a GS for five years. It felt really odd after years on a K75s.

Chatting with Nye about his experience, our shared GS experience and what he knows about me and my riding, and it's very clear the 800GS is aimed squarely at me. I've ridden 650GS Dakars and liked them, but for the gutless engine. I've liked my 1150GS but for the weight. I *really* like the 12GS, but also found it a bit cumbersome off pavement and still a little larger than I want. The 800GS looks like it's as close to the bike for me as I've ever seen.

just thinking out loud. :D

Tweety 1/Jordan: HIJACK! Are you going to be riding with your fellow AZ Beemers to Mount Lemmon this morning? Tweety 1 puts lots and lots of miles on his F800S.

Beemerdons, I know this is a poor excuse, but I just posted on the AZBeemers Technical thread: I seemingly no longer receive notification mail from the entire board, so I never received the Mt. Lemmon notice, or any others for that matter. I hope that is fixed soon because I keep missing upcoming ride notices, and therefore upcoming rides. So, no, I did not go to Mt. Lemmon. :banghead

As for lots and lots and miles, I have 4290 in a year, which I know to some is not too much, but compared to the 250 I put on the Bandit the last year I owned it, that says a lot to me. I hope to do better this year. :heart

knary said:
First, he didn't, as is often the case, describe his proportions.

He intimated he is 185 cm (about 6'1") and later, he stated he has a 83 cm (32.6) shirt sleeve length. Me, I am 181 cm at 5'11.25', but my sleeve length is 33 (84 cm) or better, as I can wear 34-35 sleeve lengths, and the combined 32-33 are too short on me. He claims to sit up straight on an ST, and I lean back on one, and this illustrates ergos, well, to me.

The hijack thread continued on this point.

Beemerdons, I know this is a poor excuse, but I just posted on the AZBeemers Technical thread: I seemingly no longer receive notification mail from the entire board, so I never received the Mt. Lemmon notice, or any others for that matter. I hope that is fixed soon because I keep missing upcoming ride notices, and therefore upcoming rides. So, no, I did not go to Mt. Lemmon. :banghead

As for lots and lots and miles, I have 4290 in a year, which I know to some is not too much, but compared to the 250 I put on the Bandit the last year I owned it, that says a lot to me. I hope to do better this year. :heart

He intimated he is 185 cm (about 6'1") and later, he stated he has a 83 cm (32.6) shirt sleeve length. Me, I am 181 cm at 5'11.25', but my sleeve length is 33 (84 cm) or better, as I can wear 34-35 sleeve lengths, and the combined 32-33 are too short on me. He claims to sit up straight on an ST, and I lean back on one, and this illustrates ergos, well, to me.

The hijack thread continued on this point.

I missed his disclosure of being 185 cm. :D

:dunno
I'll have to see what the real bike is like. Ultimately, very specific ergonomic reviews have to be taken with a mountain of salt as there are so many variables, not the least of which are the expectations of the rider. In another review, a 6' rider described it as easy to flat foot with the taller seat. If you're used to lower street bikes I have no doubt the 800GS, or any GS, will seem very tall. After five years with my 1150, and some time on bikes like the xChallenge or my 6'4" friends VERY tall Dakar (he's fiddled with it a bit), the 800GS seems like it'll be great for me. But I won't know until the end of the year.

:brad

Are you fine BMW folks hearing about Triumph M/C and the new 675 Triple Tiger Cub?

http://www.localriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11382

Besides my 2 BMW's, HD Dyna Glide, Kawi KLR 650; I also own a Yamaha FJR1300.

Of all things, over at www.fjrforum.com I have been reading many posts about an upcoming Triumph that would utilize the 675 Triple as competition to the F800GS.

Typing into Search "Triumph 675 Triple Tiger Cub" results in a lot of pages about this machine. What really caught my attention was the article above and 123 hp!

Turns out the Daytona 675 triple puts out 123 horsepower at 53 ft. lbs. of torque and with the machine only weighing 363 lbs. dry. If they use this powerplant as a dual-sport competitor to the F800GS, at under 400 lbs., this sales race is OVER!

If the Hinckley Factory gets this to North America before Motorrad AG finally gets the F800GS here, and if the "Cub" is sold at the $7,900 the Speed-T is: Holy Cow!

http://www.triumphchepassione.com/triumph-tiger-675.htm

Last edited:
:dunno

Most of the big thumpers out there put gobs more torque down low compared to the 675. If they do it, I'm sure it'll be a GREAT bike, but don't be surprised if the power output is more in line with the 800GS, albeit with more HP and less torque.

I will be riding the new F650GS twin next weekend at my dealer ride day.
It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against my current 01 650GS.

No 800 in Australia yet, so cant ride it.:cry

Back