• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K-bike seat question?

I think so.

I don't know. I've seen some different saddles on various K bikes and not all of them were aftermarket. A friend with a K1100LT told me that it had the same saddle as my K75RT (or at lreast interchangable.)

The only one I know won't exchange is the '85 K100 with other years.

But this opinion is worth no more than what you paid for it. ;)

The '91 seat will fit a '93. HOWEVER, I think the '93 and '94 K seats were among the most comfortable standard seats ever made for the original K series bikes, and were much better than the earlier ones. The foam seems a lot more robust and the covers last a bit longer.

I might be completely losing it on this one, but I've been stockpiling spare seats to make sure I will always have one. :)

k-bike comfort seat

Jon,do you know how much more comfortable the k-bike comfort seat is compared to my standard seat.I bought one on e-bay for my bike,it looks a lot better than the one I have now.:D

jdiaz said:
I think the '93 and '94 K seats were among the most comfortable standard seats ever made for the original K series bikes

What about the '95 seat? I'm certainly happy with the comfort level, but then again, I have a Brooks B-17 on my road bicycle and most would consider that an instrument of torture.

The seat on my '95 has seams on it, unlike most of the ones I see in pictures which appear to have a seamless covering. Also the cover looks like leather. If I look at the underside where it is stapled to the pan, I cannot see fabric backing that is typical on vinyl. Instead it looks like the back side of a piece of leather. At one point I thought it might bave been an aftermarket seat, but the pan has the BMW logo on it and my understanding is that the early Corbin seats were built on the OEM seat pan, not the later ones. I also recall hearing that Corbin made some seats for BMW but have not been able to confirm that.

jdiaz said:
If its got seams, I think its the Comfort Seat. I've never tried one.

You're more than welcome to try mine the next time we meet. In fact, I'd be delighted to have you ride my bike and let me know if everything feels like it should.

HankB said:
You're more than welcome to try mine the next time we meet. In fact, I'd be delighted to have you ride my bike and let me know if everything feels like it should.
Sure, bring your bike over. Can you mow my lawn while I'm out riding? You know, since you don't have to do it at your house? :)

Hi Hank,

I can tell you for sure that Corbin did make seats on the stock BMW pan - I had one. Mine wasn't leather although that was offered. But if yours is a Corbin, seems like you would find a logo somewhere.

jdiaz said:
The '91 seat will fit a '93. HOWEVER, I think the '93 and '94 K seats were among the most comfortable standard seats ever made for the original K series bikes, and were much better than the earlier ones. The foam seems a lot more robust and the covers last a bit longer.

I might be completely losing it on this one, but I've been stockpiling spare seats to make sure I will always have one. :)

Welllll... if it's at all like the K Comfort seat from that era - you can buy them brand new for a reasonable price (about $245 from Hammersley). I got one a few months ago. No seams in the seating area (I've seen other Comfort seats that had sewn cushion pattern in the seating areas).

Mine had a manufacturing date of 2003 on it - so they're still turning some out. Came direct from Germany to me via Hammersley. Had it in a week. Also worth checking the price at Chicago BMW(Harley)..

Oh - the neat thing on a comfort seat- it's (surprise!) COMFORTABLE. A first from BMW in my experience.

Best,

Don, just curious, have you ever known anyone that had a gel insert put in their seat? How did it work? Just thouoght I would ask.

lorazepam said:
Don, just curious, have you ever known anyone that had a gel insert put in their seat? How did it work? Just thouoght I would ask.

Haven't talked to anyone who had an insert in the seat, but I know some of the aftermarket seat manufacturers stopped offering them.

I have heard they're cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I have one that straps on the seat - can't say it did any good (and I have bad hips - so if it did any good at all..)

Best,

I have a '94 K11LT that came with a Comfort Seat, and it was a good one. I rode many long days with that seat, but eventually replaced it with an aftermarket unit.

As for gel inserts, I have one in a seat on a Moto Guzzi. It is terrific. the secret, I think, is to install the gel pad under a layer of foam so that your butt is a bit isolated from either heat or cold.

The only downside for me with the gel seat is that it adds height (which I REALLY don't need).

Comfort seat

I rode160,000 miles on a stock '91 K100RS seat and never felt the need to tinker with or replace it. I decided a long time ago that what you wear has more to do with comfort/discomfort than the seat design. I've worn spandex bicycle shorts under my riding pants for years. That and a couple of mid-afternoon aspirins will get me through an 800-mile day.
That said, my '03 K1200GT came with a Comfort seat and I love it.

John Flora

Back