Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: If your bike were an airplane, what kind would it be?

screwtop

If your bike were an airplane, what kind would it be?

When I was at the local HD shop this past weekend, I saw a sportster with an intersting paint job on it. The bike had a custom paint job done on a P-40 Warhawk (flying tigers) theme, complete with the sharks teeth on the tank.
    I did not get a chance to ask the owner why he chose the paint scheme, but it got me thinking about some of the parallels that exist between flying and motorcycling (freedom, adventure, risk, etc.), and how one could think of one's ride as kind of an "airplane on the ground".

That said, I would probably liken my GS to an A-10 Warthog, due to its manueverability and utility. My Softail is kinda like an F4U-1 Corsair, with its more antiquated powerplant and weight (although some on the forum might find a "Sopwith Camel" analogy more fitting).

If your bike were an airplane, what kind would it be?

BUBBAZANETTI
    Myasishchev M 4 Bison, because it too looks completely stupid with a gigantic load strapped to the back of it.

Since both my bikes are Airheads, I'll have to go with something like an old school piston-driven Messerschmitt.

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Boeing 737
    K75/3 Good for long haul or short hops and good on fuel. All around performer.

Rally Rat
    Twin Commander Rockwell Turbo 690A. Great for phorograhy and installation of gimbals. Also fit for parachuters. Easy to fly and maintanance.

glennhendricks

F 14 Tomcat

My 2000 RT would be a Tomcat. Great all around aircraft in it's day but now outdated by technology.

And still faster than I am.

535IS
    An Airhead RS is obviously a P51D (although, in fairness, every boxer has that Sopwith Camel torque reaction ). Old and relatively slow now, but with that sleek new bodywork over a relatively common drivetrain, well ahead of its time when new.

Oh, wait ... maybe it's really a Focke-Wulf 190G.

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Keeping with the tech levels I'd suggest that the older airheads (pre/5) would be the older biplanes and triplanes like the Albetros and Focke Wolfe.

Newer airheads (/5 and /6) would be closer to the Messerscmidt 109 or FW 190). Dressed out it would be a Junkers 88 or an HE 111.

K bikes would be the Luftwaffe version of the 104 star fighter.

Oilheads, the F-4 Phantom

New K bikes, the Tomcat.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

airplane

My all time favourite:

The flying BMW.

I used to have one of these, in the good old days.

Rinty

A-10 Warthog... it's a horizontally-opposed twin and badASS

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar

Mooney Bravo

Used to be available with a Porsche boxer air-cooled engine. Can't get much closer to an R-bike than that!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Low and slow but reliable..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David
    1989 K100LT

screwtop
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    My all time favourite:

The flying BMW.

I used to have one of these, in the good old days.

Rinty
    I think Mooney's are really cool. Very efficient with those baby smooth wings. When I was a kid, my dad had an A-36 Bonanza. It was a 1972 model year, and he told me later that he bought it for $58,000. For fun I typed the tail numbers into google a few months back, and the exact airplane is for sale in OK somewhere for $115,000. Guess it held its value.

what kind...

those baby smooth wings...Screwtop
    Al Mooney was really obsessed with aerodynamic efficiency, and particularly parasitic drag, so all the rivets between the wing leading edge and its mid-chord were flush to the skin. Up to about the early '60's Mooney wings were, of course, made of wood, for smoothness.

The drag co-efficient of the 201 was an amazing 0.1795. Mine would cruise at 180 mph (65% power) burning only 8 gallons per hour.

Your dad's A-36 was another fine airplane.

Rinty

Here's one for people with FD issues; it also appears to have a damaged final drive...