• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Alaska 2009

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
I'm planning on riding from Seattle to Anchorage and back early in the summer of 2009 (late June/early July). Ideally I'll take three or four days to get there, spend three or four days visiting relatives up there, and then take three or four days to return.

After Anchorage, I'm thinking about taking the Parks Hwy north from Wasila, alongside Denali National Park to Fairbanks, and then back to Tok and the return home on the Al-Can Hwy.

I plan on staying in motels between Seattle and Anchorage so I won't have to cart camping gear and I won't have to battle mosquitoes any more than necessary.

Ideally I'd like to find someone interested in making the trip around the same time. My wife would be happier if I had someone to ride with. Is anyone considering such a ride for 2009? If you are, I'd love to discuss the possibilities of traveling together.

Why wait?

Sure you wouldn't rather go on May 25th of 2008? :clap

I'm planning to leave Bellingham for Prudhoe Bay then Fairbanks and Anchorage about then and be back in my own bed within 3 weeks. Wouldn't mind a partner along the way.

Don't miss the Cassiar Highway in BC - with side trip to Hyder, Alaska to see the bears.

Tom

Sure you wouldn't rather go on May 25th of 2008? :clap

I'm planning to leave Bellingham for Prudhoe Bay then Fairbanks and Anchorage about then and be back in my own bed within 3 weeks. Wouldn't mind a partner along the way.

Don't miss the Cassiar Highway in BC - with side trip to Hyder, Alaska to see the bears.

Tom

If my sister and brother-in-law who live in Anchorage hadn't booked a trip to come to Seattle to see us early this summer I'd be heading up there this year instead. Part of the allure of the trip is to experience the moment of pulling into their suburban Anchorage driveway to the joyus reception of my four neices and newphews.

Besides, I need to accumulate some vacation time as I'm planning on taking around two weeks for my 2009 adventure.

I decided over the weekend (thanks to a few reports I read here and after playing with Google Earth) to take the Cassiar at least one way. Does anyone who has travelled the Cassiar have a recommendation as to which way is preferred if only taking it one way? In other words, is the view/trip better north-bound or south-bound, or is it six one way and a half-dozen the other? I think I want to take the Alcan one way and the Cassiar the other just for the sake of seeing new and varied terrain and trying to minimize the out-and-back effect of returning along the same route.

I'm having lots of fun doing the logistics in my head. Where will I attach an extra fuel can? How will I fit all my clothing, riding gear, camera gear and repair kit in my bike's luggage? It's all part of the fun of planning a long adventure!

Sounds like fun, I've got family in Tacoma I could visit on the way threw. I don't know weather I should trailer to the west coast or ride as I live in South Carolina. I would rather ride. I'm retired so I'm not concerned about time. are you going to the rally in Gillette? I will be there. stay in touch, maybe we can put a plan together. :bolt

I did the Cassiar from north to south in '03. I liked the way the mileage worked out (leaving in the morning from Swift River, just west of Watson Lake) and near the end of the day, overnighted at Bell II, a great place with upscale cabins at a reasonable price ($109CD per night, if I recall). From there,it was an easy days's ride to Prince George.

Cassiar - up or down?

Doesn't matter. I went up last year and onto the AlCan from intersetion north to Whitehorse then around to Haines and (bad front tire with no place to get replacment) took the ferry from Haines back to Bellingham. Beautiful going up and coming back. This year, I will take the Alcan going up and when coming back the Cassiar. Beautiful country from any angle.
Take care,
Tom:clap

Time to re-start this thread!

I'm thinking about heading up around the 20th of June, and returning to Seattle before the 4th of July. Four or five days up to Anchorage, three or four days in Anchorage, and then four or five days back to Seattle.

I plan on sleeping in motels along the way. I'm not too keen on tent camping in bear country. Anyone who wishes to join in is more than welcome to tag along. I have a couple of people considering the trip, but the more the merrier!

Starting doing some mental trip planning and was wondering if someone else who has done the trip has any ball-park figures about how many miles you rode per day (for the purposes of figuring out where we'll spend the nights and if we need motel reservations ahead of time).

So - for those of you who have ridden the Alaska Hwy and/or the Cassiar, how many miles were you able to make per day?

We tried to average about 300 a day. Had a 400 mile day and a 200 mile day; most in the rain. This is certainly not pushing too hard on the ALCAN, but allows for enjoying the ride, stopping to see the sites and getting settled into a decent motel or camp ground before they get filled up. Others average 5-600 miles a day; I can't see why, but to each their own.

There is a thread going on ADV Rider concerning 2009 rides to Alaska, might be worth a view.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370940

Trip cancelled

No raise this year, mandatory days off without pay, and high airfares for the other family members flying up to join me in Anchorage has resulted in our decision to cancel my ride to Alaska planned for this summer.

Maybe next year.

I decided over the weekend (thanks to a few reports I read here and after playing with Google Earth) to take the Cassiar at least one way. Does anyone who has travelled the Cassiar have a recommendation as to which way is preferred if only taking it one way? In other words, is the view/trip better north-bound or south-bound, or is it six one way and a half-dozen the other? I think I want to take the Alcan one way and the Cassiar the other just for the sake of seeing new and varied terrain and trying to minimize the out-and-back effect of returning along the same route.

I'm having lots of fun doing the logistics in my head. Where will I attach an extra fuel can? How will I fit all my clothing, riding gear, camera gear and repair kit in my bike's luggage? It's all part of the fun of planning a long adventure!

The Cassair is a must see. Did this trip two years ago to the circle. We took extra cans and never used them.

This will be great fun. 4 days seems tight though. Good luck.

John

Back