• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How one goes riding for the day in NYC:

B

BUBBAZANETTI

11pm the night before: go to bed early, hoping to get up at 6am and beat the traffic

3am: not be able to fall asleep due to trash trucks, buses and general insomia.

6am: alarm goes off, gets put into sleep mode till 9am.

10am: walk outside, drop off the mail, go to the atm, get gps from girlfriend's car, pull the cover from your bike, walk back home.

10:45am: get on the road

11:30am: finally get through brooklyn/manhattan/nj traffic.

11:30am-4pm: nice scenic roads in NJ and PA. a little cold, but beautiful.

4pm: get to the Lincoln Tunnel

5pm: exit the Lincoln Tunnel

5:30pm: arrive at Tessler's on the upper West Side. Go out for dinner and 1 drink.

8:30pm: avoid dinner, have multiple Margs (Margarittas) w/Tessler for his birthday, walk back to his place and push the bike into a spot where it won't be towed/ticketed the next day

9:30pm: arrive home from the days "ride" by subway, setting the alarm to take the train back the next day to get your bike.

:laugh

in interest of comparison, desciibe your non-NYC ride routine. hahahha

Bubba,

10am: walk outside, drop off the mail, go to the atm, get gps from girlfriend's car, pull the cover from your bike, walk back home.

You could be more efficient and get ready the night before. :stick

How one goes riding for the day in California...
10am: Exit driveway, turn left.
:laugh

:ha

start the bike in the garage.

point down the hill, admire the view of the smoky mountain park 30 miles distant.

head down the twisting gravel road, onto the chipseal Upper Crabtree Mountain road.

twist through the valley, and take NC 209 up to Hot Springs.

stop at the Smoky Mountain Diner, hang out with the backpackers who are hiking the appalachian trail.

from there, it's either dirt or pavement, all of it twisty. some of my faves go over the main spine of the appalachians into TN or VA.

head back home, ride up our hill, minding the blind turns.

pull into the garage, walk upstairs, kiss my wife, pet our dog, pour a shot of Laphroig, light a Partagas... and watch the sunset.

ian

out the driveway.... turn right four times in a row. Ride for about four hours, cross the Causeway (watch those winds) and turn left. You are now on the Cabot Trail counter clockwise. Keep going until the end. Turn right, cross the Causeway (watch those winds again) and then take three lefts and your home. Camping along the way permitted. Oh yeah, June to September best. -Bob

It is snowing here.
No time for gear,
Not in a rage
I'll take the cage
at 5PM to have a beer.

Happy Birthday Tessler!

Bubba, thanks for the [er, several] margarita at Santa Fe. :hungover

Now, that's how to end a day of riding in nyc!

It is snowing here.
No time for gear,
Not in a rage
I'll take the cage
at 5PM to have a beer.

Happy Birthday Tessler!
Thanks M1ka!

Get up at 0430, shower, dress, coffee while making lunch. Throw stuff in the sidecases, roll bike out of garage and fire it up. Don helmet and proper riding attire, mount and commute 20 mi to work, arriving by 0630. Depart 1600 for the ride home: riding time, distance and route may vary.

Happy B'day, Jonathan!

Day's ride

Plan to ride the 105 miles round trip to work Tuesday.

Check air in tires.
Realize air gage is not working properly.
Go to bed at 9 PM.
Alarm goes off at 5:30 AM
Wife says "Alarm just went off".
I reply you go take a shower first.
Wait until my turn in shower.
Throat, head sore.
Eat Honey Nut Chex cereal with a banana.
Decide against the bike due to potential fever.
Take cage.
Feel like crap at work.
Die at my desk.
Bury me without my bike, so I end up in hell.

Down the twisty rutted washed out shale
Turn right, this way & that way to 87 (NYS Thruway)
NYC 2 hours
NOISE NOISE NOISE!

Attachments

• Grinch Noise.jpg
    Grinch Noise.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 131
Turn Left?
Platt Clove Road straight ahead
Up Up Up twisting turning to the Sun
Warm at the top, the clove floor far below
Waterfalls, back pakers and warm diners.
Head west, get lost
Getting dark where am I?
Get Gas fire up the GPS
Head home wash and repeat.

My Ride: From the Front Range

Wake up. Gear up. Open garage. Ride bike south fifteen feet. Turn west.
Ride west 3/4 mile. Turn south.
Ride south one mile. Turn west. That's pretty much the end of the flat, straight boring stuff. A one thousand foot hill is up ahead.

Ride one half mile and suddenly the altitude starts changing dramatically because now I am IN THE MOUNTAINS.

Continue by a choice of various routes to the Continental Divide some thirty (air) miles further west.

I LOVE where I live. :dance

My Ride from Montreal

Open garage door,sit on motorcycle,start motorcycle,re-set GPS, let cycle warm up for a minute and turn off cycle.Climb off bike and close garage door.

Still 4" of ice in driveway and 10' snowbanks on the street.
Riding is wishful thinking for another three wks.

Decide which bike to take the night before...(a nice option to have)and ask Helen what she is riding , go to corner 1/2 mile away to top off tanks.Have meltdown at current fuel prices:scratch Do safety check walkaround on both bikes & install electronics du jour.
Go to bed...
internal alarm goes off about 4:30(retirement has not turned this off!) get up and let dogs out to chase racoons out of yard.Start coffee and watch the sunrise hopefully
Tell Helen we are leaving at 8...knowing that means 8:20ish:whistle :laugh
Open garage,fire up the bikes, wait for Helen who has forgotten item of day in house:whistle :whistle :whistle restart bikes 5 minutes later and turn left from drive...turn left in 1/2 mile onto highway and head west into the Hill Country and twisty county roads. Sorry Bubba...no tunnels or city traffic around here. No snow capped peaks either, but we do this year round:p

Coming home is the hard part during summer since we live near Lake Travis and all the weekend lake snakes are out in full force pulling boats and campers home...some not paying attention...

Happy Birthday Jon!

For me, the procedure is much like everybody else, except I have to spend some time hemming and hawing over where to go because there aren't many fun roads around here and I've already done all of them too many times. Sometimes I just don't decide and wind up riding at random thinking I'll serendipitously make an interesting new ride for myself...I should be so lucky!

Open garage door,sit on motorcycle,start motorcycle,re-set GPS, let cycle warm up for a minute and turn off cycle.Climb off bike and close garage door.

Still 4" of ice in driveway and 10' snowbanks on the street.
Riding is wishful thinking for another three wks.

LOL My husband is from Halifax... very funny post :)

Back