• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75 Steering Dampener Grease Substitute

noble

I just learned that the specialized silicone grease that is used in the Steering Damper unit (Fluidbloc) has discontinued by BMW.

Is there a workable substitute for the OEM grease?

If not, any suggestions to an alternative?

Thanks, Noble

Don't know Paul G. or mr.D. may know what to use,any takers?:scratch :dunno

Don't know Paul G. or mr.D. may know what to use,any takers?:scratch :dunno
No facts - but I'd be looking for a thick silicone grease.. some of the Dow Corning vacuum greases are quite thick. It it's too thick the effect will be like too tight steering head bearings (tend to wander and take a "set"..)

Is there a dampner that can be attached to the steering head?:scratch :dunno

Last edited:
Greg:

After checking the fische, it shows NA, as Noble suggested.

I know it was available last year, when I redid my wife"s bike. I need to get a supply now before all the back shelf supplies are gone!

:dance :dance :dance

Greg:

After checking the fische, it shows NA, as Noble suggested.

I know it was available last year, when I redid my wife"s bike. I need to get a supply now before all the back shelf supplies are gone!

Really!!?? Thanks for the tip - I'll see if I can scarf some of the last remaining supplies.

I called BMW Motorad Customer Service. 1 800 831-1117

They said that that grease is the ONLY approved and recommended grease for that application. They also confirmed that it was no longer available. They had no suggestion. Thanks BMW!

I called four of the local dealers and also Chicago BMW and was able to locate two tubes.

I also spoke with all of their service departments. I got varying answers from "any medium weight silicone grease will work" to "they will work just as well dry" to "what's a fluidblock".:dunno

San Jose BMW is in the process of trying to find a replacement source (possibly the OEM) from europe.

Obviously, the thinner the viscosity or the greater the lubricity, the less the dampening.

For very heavy dampening try peanut butter (chunky style)?:stick

I called BMW Motorad Customer Service. 1 800 831-1117

They said that that grease is the ONLY approved and recommended grease for that application. They also confirmed that it was no longer available. They had no suggestion. Thanks BMW!

Well, for liability reasons, what else are they going to say? But, you're right . . . Thanks BMW. :(

BMW doesn't make grease, they buy it from some manufacturer. IMHO, any grease of similar spec should work just fine.

BMW doesn't make grease, they buy it from some manufacturer. IMHO, any grease of similar spec should work just fine.

Absolutely true.:thumb

Now, if you could please give us those specs, we could all be happy campers.:dunno

Mil Spec.?, ASTM Spec.?, Viscosity?, Specific Gravity?, Temp Range?, Evaporation?, Penetration Range?,
Drop Point?, NLGI Grade?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?.

I'm not one to rely on the touch, smell, and taste method if I don't have to.:sick

Trial and error could be a very labor intensive way of doing this:

Disassemble, lube with grease A, Assemble, Test Ride, Not enough/too much dampening
Disassemble, lube with grease B, Assemble, Test Ride, Not enough/too much dampening
Repeat
Repeat

Like I said, San Jose BMW is trying to research the original source.

If someone works for Dow Corning and has a tube of the BMW stuff, they could come up with a similar spec. after they checked it out in their lab.

Otherwise you could follow the recommendations of the service departments that I spoke to: "any medium weight silicone grease", "they work just fine dry", "maybe Vasalene", "what's a Fluidblock?".

Back