• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Metzler vs. Michelin

What brand of tires do you prefer

• Michelin

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Metzler

Votes: 40 58.0%
  • Continental

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Dunlop

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Bridgestone

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Avon

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

DZIMBRIC

What tires are you using and what kind of mileage are you getting.

I got 14,000 out of my original Metzler MZ4 but I may have been pushing the envelope. I'm going to replace mine before track day on May 9 because they won't pass inspection. I was planning on ordering a set of Metzler ST6? but another RT rider I know just bought Michelin Pilots because they are supposed to get better mileage.

I'm using both Dunlop and Metzeler right now, though my new bike will come with Anakees, which I believe are Michelins.

I'm more interested in grip than mileage, given where I live, ride and what type of riding I do.

Metzlers, I have gotten 9,600 out of two sets, so far. Thinking the next, which will be for the Rally will be the new 6's.

I swear by the Mac 50's on my ride. I had Metzeler ME88's (I think) that wore really really weird, and were toast with only 4500 miles on them. They also blew goats in the rain.

I just went with Metzeler Tourance tires over the Michelin Anakee this week. The bottom line is I want to try both. The next set will be Michelin Anakee tires.

I am sure they are both super tires. Someone on another forum said that discussing motorcycle tires & motorcycle oil is like discussing religion & politics. :D

Tires

I just put a set of Metz Z6 on my 04 RT and took a ride to Big Bend (1330 miles) and I like the tires. I don't know if it's just in my head, but the Z6's seem to feel better than the stock Bridgestones. I feel like I can change my line on curves w/o feeling awkard.:dunno

rapz,

I just put a set on my RT as well. I gotta agree, they feel better. They provide a more stable ride for me. My old tires were the Macadams and felt like Flintstone tires compared to these.

What pressure are you using?

Rhino

Metz Tire Pressure

I'm using what's posted on the front steering column which is 36 PSI front and 42 PSI rear. Is there a better pressure which I should consider?:dunno

I was told 38/40 by the mech. He also said a 2 lb variance is okay, I guess we just need to monkey around with the pressure and get the right feel. I've got 195 miles at this pressure with 2 up and the bike rode great. I guess it is just how the bike feels to you.

I have zero experience with Michelin, but couldn't pass by without posting praise for MZ6's. This is compared to stock Dunlops on the 1150R.

I recently returned from a +/- 1400 mile excursion at western NC with opportunities to experience the 6's under common riding conditions, speeds, loads, etc. I almost conciously tried to beat the piss out of them.

Afterthoughts: A stout, strong tire with all the stickiness in the wet as advertised. I'm no physics major, but the rigidity of the rubber seemed to remain constant regardless of what the road conditions or temperatures were.

I'm a Capricorn. That sort of thing appeals to me.

On mileage life: Don't know. Don't care. Performance rules.

I just changed my mezlers Z4s to Z6s. The Z4s had +8000 on them, and were the original tires on the '04 RT. I only have 500 miles on the Z6s, but like a few others on this post, I'm finding their responsiveness to be better than anything I've ever had.

Rhino6207 said:
My old tires were the Macadams and felt like Flintstone tires compared to these.

Old tires are always hard and new tires always feel better.

The deeper tread of the new tire, gives a little "squirm" for one thing.

Best not to trust your memory--mine for sure--and rather compare both when both are new by riding two identical bikes, one after the other, i.e. same conditions.

Well, since my last post I have put a total of 1430 miles on the Z6's. A lot of those were wet miles to and from the GA Mountain Rally. If my memory serves me right, usually don't trust mine either, they still are the best set of tires I have used.

I'm still curious about what tire pressures you folks are using with the Z6's. I know load and max pressure and... but what seems to be working for everyone? I am at 38/40. Seems to be right so far.

D. J.

Mileage

I got 14,000 miles off my first set of Metzler. They were stock on the bike and I think they were the Z4s. I replaced them with another set of Z4's.
The techs at the shop gave me a lot of grief because the tires were so square they stood up by themselves.

I replaced the next set at 11,000 because I still had tread but I was going to Midwest Track day and didn't want to get in trouble at the tech inspection. I had the tech at the shop look at them and he said they probally would pass for a novice rider but I decided I didn't want to take a chance and have to buy a set at the track.

We installed the new Z6's and I am impressed. I did not drop my tire pressure to 30/30 for the track but ran them at full pressure. I got to try them in the rain because our first two sessions were on a wet track and they stick, I was able to keep up with our instructor and had to grab brakes several times to keep from overrunning him in a couple of the curves. These tires do perform as advertised.

The other thing I really noticed about the Z6 tire is that when riding on concrete road surfaces the tires do not transmit the buzz/vibration that the Z4 tire did. The source of the vibration is the rain grooves/rough texture that is formed in the road surface to aid traction. I also noticed minimal tracking when we rode over the metal portion of a drawbridge. I remember some of these bridges in the past really messed with control of the bike.

If I can get the mileage out of the Z6 that I am getting out of the Z4 I will be real happy. The Z4's with 11,000 still have tread and are hanging in the garage in case someone needs a tire on short notice.:clap :clap

I've tried three sets of Metlers Z4's that were original equip. I have since tried the Bridgestone EM-1 & EM-2.
Metzler's ride when new can't be beaten but I was able to get better than 2000 more miles out of a set of Bridgestone's.
The Bridgestone's were least expensive of the two brands but
I guess I just like new tires the best of all !!!!

CB

Avons on the RT

Picked up a nail in the rear on my 1150Rt so needed new tires fast. The dealer only had Dunlops and Avons and decided to try the Avons. They seem fine when its dry but not too thrilled with them when its wet, any Avon users or comments on Avons? I don't ride like a rookie but also don't ride like Niki Hayden.

Seeing that there are a majority of Metzeler users out there, I'd like to ask if any of you have switched FROM Michelins, or ever ridden with Michelins, and why you switched if you did?

I had Michelin 100s on the VFR and switched to Dunlop. It took the 100s a while to warm up. They felt pretty spooky while they were cold.

On the other hand, I have Michelin Anakees on the GS and love them.

If you haven't looked at Dunlop, you might want to, especially the sporty bike guys. I've got a set of D208s on the VFR and they're absolutely fantastic. I've got D220s on the RS, but I think they're going to get replaced by MeZ6s very soon. I had those on the S and they're were fantastic.

Back