• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Metzler vs. Michelin

What brand of tires do you prefer

• Michelin

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Metzler

Votes: 40 58.0%
  • Continental

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Dunlop

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Bridgestone

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Avon

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Tires

rapz said:
I just put a set of Metz Z6 on my 04 RT and took a ride to Big Bend (1330 miles) and I like the tires. I don't know if it's just in my head, but the Z6's seem to feel better than the stock Bridgestones. I feel like I can change my line on curves w/o feeling awkard.:dunno

Ditto that! I just replaced the stock Brigstones on my 04 RT at 8,000 miles a few days before Track Day with the Z6 and I felt it helped my turns right from the get go. I took the bike out for a 150 mile ride in the country the day before track day to get them scrubbed in and they worked great. This past weekend I rode 950 miles to Talihina and Mena, AR and loved the ride on them. Let's hope they last.

dlearl said:
Seeing that there are a majority of Metzeler users out there, I'd like to ask if any of you have switched FROM Michelins, or ever ridden with Michelins, and why you switched if you did?

I just installed Pilot Roads on the RT, trying to get a Saddlesore 1000 in before the National. I have gone through 2 sets of the z4 even mileage at 9600 miles, squared the rear, the front was good, though the first front cupped, later found a fork seal leaking..?.
As for the Pilots, 75 miles so far and running at 36/40 (front /rear). I go with that for 200 miles and reduce the pressure to 34/38 and see how it handles.

Why the switch? no z4s and the z6 backordered.

Only Metzelers, bet my life

I've run only Metzelers on three bikes now, the Virago, the K75RT and the R1200C. I had a flat on the cruiser while doing 85mph and didn't even notice it for about three miles - good thing I never leaned into a corner, I guess, We were on the interstate and I finally pulled over to check if the rain grooves were causing the barely perceptable shimmy.

dlearl said:
Seeing that there are a majority of Metzeler users out there, I'd like to ask if any of you have switched FROM Michelins, or ever ridden with Michelins, and why you switched if you did?

I have run pilot sports on a couple of previous bikes including my S and the Michelin's dont stick well if they are cold or wet and they wear out to quickly. I tried Z6's and found nearly the same or better traction even when cold and or wet plus much longer life.And the bike just feels lighter on it's feet and more willing to change direction. :D

Z6 Tires

I have around 2K on mine and they are wearing very well.

As far as stickuiness goes, we found out today, while the bike was on the lift that you can scrape the plastic on the right side if you lean it far enough.

I thought that was just my boot and the peg. On the left side you will contact the centerstand.

I guess the track day paid off by improving my riding ability.

I guess I'm a Metzeler guy. :dunno
I had 'em on my RT, then put ME 880s on my K1200LT (after the stock tires were gone at 6K) and now use Tourances on my GS. I think Metzelers go with BMWs like peanuts go with beer. :bliss

Back