• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

paint code

How do I find the paint code for my recently acquired 06 k1200s. I have looked the frame over and found a couple of places showing the VIN. Is it in an obvious place and I am just missing it, or is it really ellusive?

How do I find the paint code for my recently acquired 06 k1200s. I have looked the frame over and found a couple of places showing the VIN. Is it in an obvious place and I am just missing it, or is it really ellusive?

It used to be under the seat, but seems not to be there on these bikes. What color is it? I'll look it up. BTW, the paint code sticker on the bike is not the primary color but rather the combination of the colors or decals, stripes, etc. The paint code of an individual color can be found in the parts fiche usually.

Touch Up Paint

Anyone know where to buy touch up paint in granite grey metallic?

Terry

Anyone know where to buy touch up paint in granite grey metallic?

Terry

I have tried every where with no luck to get paint to match my grey RT. I finally went to an automotive paint store. ( PPG is very good paint ) they have a little device that they can carry out to the parking lot and it reads your paint so they can get an exact match. its not cheap, I paid $ 284.00 for a quart of paint to paint my trailer to match the bike. perfect match, looks great!!! now please understand this was for my red Harley. the Harley codes are real expensive compared to others. hope this helps. :thumb

Paint

I have tried every where with no luck to get paint to match my grey RT. I finally went to an automotive paint store. ( PPG is very good paint ) they have a little device that they can carry out to the parking lot and it reads your paint so they can get an exact match. its not cheap, I paid $ 284.00 for a quart of paint to paint my trailer to match the bike. perfect match, looks great!!! now please understand this was for my red Harley. the Harley codes are real expensive compared to others. hope this helps. :thumb

FWIW--You can't go wrong with PPG. They have a hand held 'camera' that scans your paint and they plug the results into their computer. It churns for a while and then delivers a formula. They have about a 95% success rate in matching for my shop and that's 20 years using these folks. So many times it makes too much sense to just take a panel into them to shoot, rather than chase the formula. Work smarter, not harder.

The codes under the seats have to be translated into a formula for a given paint type. PPG has a national color library if the locals don't have a formula. Many times, if you ask nice, the folks at the jobber will take the time to call the library for breakdowns of older BMW motorcycle colors.

Paint prices depend on the pigments that are used. Reds, yellows and oranges are the more expensive. with white and black on the lower end. Many of the new colors have metallics And pearls in them. That adds to cost. The reds that I use on the older Ducatis will run around $2500 per gallon.That's just for the basecoat....no clear. There are only two toners in this mix and they are very proud of them.

Hope it helps.
Danl

Back