• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What do your pipes smell like?

T

tonkandy

The clearest memory I have of my dad (who is long departed) is not a visual image, but the smell of his pipes. He used to smoke St. Bruno most of the time, but at special times, such as his birthday and Christmas, he'd splurge on a tin of Balkan Sobranie. The house always smelled different at special times.

It's not the healthiest pastime to have, but I do enjoy a smoke. I know that some of you out there share that pleasure. Over the past few years I've been using Prince Albert, Sail, or more recently Borkum Riff (in various flavours). Recently I tried a thing called Night Cap by Tobacco Galleria. I really like it. It burns well and has an almost brandy- like aroma to my thinking.

So - what tobacco do you enjoy and recommend?

I got down on all fours and took a whiff....my pipes smell like exhaust! <ba-dump>. Seriously, I like a good Partagas or Fuente cigar twice a month....

Robo

The clearest memory I have of my dad (who is long departed) is not a visual image, but the smell of his pipes. He used to smoke St. Bruno most of the time, but at special times, such as his birthday and Christmas, he'd splurge on a tin of Balkan Sobranie. The house always smelled different at special times.

It's not the healthiest pastime to have, but I do enjoy a smoke. I know that some of you out there share that pleasure. Over the past few years I've been using Prince Albert, Sail, or more recently Borkum Riff (in various flavours). Recently I tried a thing called Night Cap by Tobacco Galleria. I really like it. It burns well and has an almost brandy- like aroma to my thinking.

So - what tobacco do you enjoy and recommend?

This thread has really take off in different directions. :dance

While I do not smoke, I love the smell of good pipe tobacco especially the cherry smell stuff. My dad smoked a pipe when I was young then graduated to hardcore cigarette smoking. That in the end killed him.

When I visited Russia one of the suggest gifts to bring was pipe tobacco. That was correct, my host used broken up cigarettes for pipe tobacco. He loved my gift.

Tried a pipe a few times and as for tobacco, never much enjoyed it, I found they were better suited to "other" products....but then a bong is really better for that, or so I’ve been told anyway :nono

Now a good cigar I can thoroughly enjoy, whenever I travel outside of the states I usually find a few good Cuban cigars to enjoy before coming back state side. And I like the occasional cigar here as well, there are some chocolate aroma cigars that are nice, forget the brand off hand, something or other "Blunts" that I find nice and smooth, don’t burn your tongue like some can and the light chocolate taste of the outer rapper is very pleasant. Along with a good brandy it makes for nice evening sittin and rockin on the back deck on a warm summer evening.:D

RM

I've always liked the smell of a pipe as well. In college, we had a Physics professor that used to come to class with a pipe, the aroma of which added a bit of pleasure to an otherwise boring class.

I'm not a pipe smoker, but I do like an occasional Dom Deigo, Partagas, or Romeo-Y-Juillet with some Basil Hayden, neat.

Although I no longer smoke (I quit several years ago), occasionally I still consider breaking out one of my pipes, packing it with Lanes 965, and enjoying about an hour's worth of rumination while sitting at my work bench with a good cup of coffee:coffee, but I don't.:nono And I also miss the excitement of the pipe smoking contests.:wave

My favorite tobaccos were Lanes 965, Latakia (sp), and a mix of Latakia and bright Virginian. I also enjoyed an occasional cigar such as Arturo Fuentes Hemingway Reserve or a Partagas Maduro,

Then of course, the sixties ..., but we don't want to go there ... again.:groovy

Robert

Frog Morton, or Balkan Sobranie when I'm in the mood for something with Latakia. Otherwise a nice tasty aromatic with Burley, Virginia, and Cavendish. I also appreciate fine cigars - Rocky Patel Edge, Perdomo Lot 23, Padron 2000/3000, RyJ's, all depending on the mood and accompaniments.

Pipes of History...

...uh...what? Oh yeah.... mmmm .... well man.... uh... right.... that's it..... 1969 I think. I only take them out of the box every once in a while now but, like, '69 still lingers like ... like uh.... what was the question? - Bob

I have one of my dad's meerschaum pipes but it doesn't smell much like anything anymore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meerschaum.

I used to enjoy the smell, and my grandpop smoked a pipe too. But cancer took my dad and my mom has lung cancer now too, so I no longer associate the smell with pleasant memories.

Back