• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Loss of Hard Bag

BMorleyW

I didn't see it on any of the threads and perhaps it's never happened before, but has anyone ever lost a hard bag? After several hours on a 75 mile an hour freeway with very gusty winds I noticed that I had lost the right hard bag on my 2004 R1150 RT. Sad to say that I never noticed it in my mirror. Has this ever happened to anyone before? I remember checking that it was on properly and it was locked because you can't remove the key otherwise. I ordered another one today to the tune of $417, and of course I also lost my BMW battery charger and case lining when I lost the bag :violin The reason I'm asking is to try to find out if it was a once in a life time kind of thing or if there is an additional security strap or something to provide added security. Thanks

I've heard of it happening..........

I know one guy that lost one that was full and locked.

Believe it or not.... some motorist found it still intact/locked along side the road....

and placed an ad in the newspapers lost & found section and the guy got it back.

I guess we need to start putting luggage tags on our side cases.

jason

Old SchooL BMW's remembered!

This was a regular occurance in the older days of BMW, dropping bags at speed. Many strapped their bags on and you still see this today on some 70's, etc Beemers. I had yet to hear a much newer BMW having this issue, so you're a first for me. I still have my R100/7 with original bags and one of mine passed me on the freeway one day, long ago:(. I looked over in shock as I realized its my saddlebag, sliding so gracefully alongside me at 70mph! It made quite a noise as it scraped the pavement at speed. It did not tumble, just slide along on its lid. Hardly any worse for the wear, its still on my bike with some mods by me to keep it from happening again. I bolted mine on, using a carriage bolt and wing nut arrangement, all hidden from view of course. You may find a similar solution, with some hard looking around the bag parts to see where a bolt could go. Mine come off simply by removing the wing nut from the innards of the bag(s) and unlocking the latches, that have remained in place. The latches are not trustworthy, as you may know now:) Mine bags have been this way for 20+ years now, without fail. :usa Randy13233

Yes it does

BMW bags and other brands do also. I have had two tail trunks fall off.:dunno Now I check the bags every time I get on and off the bike. :dance

Becky

I have heard of a couple of instances of this. And even if it happened only once, it really stinks when it happens to you. :banghead

I tape a business card to the outside of the bag, on the side closest to the bike, using clear packing tape to secure it. I also put a card inside each case. Finally, I always use a bungee net across my rear seat hooked into my bungee buddies which are on the top of each case. I originally did it to have a means to secure any unplanned purchases; the security blanket of catching a loose case is a bonus.

I lost mine one time from my R11RS and a clever Border Patrol officer found me by calling HOME on my cell phone which had been inside; )

I was SO GLAD to hear him!!

Now I have my card taped inside each case just in case.

Voni
sMiling

It hasn't happened to me but I have heard of this. Because of this, I have a typed note on each pannier, protected by tape, out of general view unless the bag is off the bike. If you have found my case, please call 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx, collect if need be. I may be riding and unable to hear my phone. Please leave a message with your name & telephone #. I am
on a motorcycle trip and this case only contains basic clothes, toiletries and dirty laundry. I need to pickup the case and retrieve these items to continue my trip. Thank you. ........Paul
Hope that I never need this notes.

I lost a trunk bag from my K1200RS (aftermarket) while doing 75, didn't notice it until I got off the highway and saw my shadow in the "Jersey barrier" along the side of the road. My profile wasn't right, so I stopped to look, and sure enough, the bag was gone. I went back and found it about 15 miles back, smashed. I had a cooler type lunch box in it that I retrieved, but left the trunk, as the lock mechanism was smashed and I couldn't fasten it to the bike. The worst thing about it was my sandwich was smashed by my water bottle!

I try to pull my side bags off the mounts every time I stop, figuring if I can't yank them off, they shouldn't fall off. Don't have to worry about the LT bags! Maybe you should get an LT...........

While riding in Vt last summer,I was pulled over by a friendly Trooper and informed that one of my hard cases had come off and bounced along the side of the road.I recovered the bag with scratches only.
Checking with the local dealer I found that this had occured to other riders but considered more "rider error" than "design malfunction".:dunno
In all fairness, I,ve owned four different BMW's in the last 20yrs and I never had a problem with "Wandering Cases".

Hard Cases? Which Ones?

I probably missed it..but are you folks talking about the aluminum, so called Adventure, boxes coming off? If yes, what failed? Like ones in photo.

Thanks..

Attachments

• IMG_3272.JPG
    IMG_3272.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,082
Has this ever happened to anyone before? I remember checking that it was on properly and it was locked because you can't remove the key otherwise.

If it makes you feel any better, I've managed to lose 2 bags! :banghead It is possible to remove the key if you close the case but leave the carrying handle up. At that point the lid is locked but the case itself is just hanging there ready to bounce off. I've been known to be a little absent minded and have caught myself doing this from time to time. I think I'm lucky to have only lost 2! Stupid me never thought of putting my name on the outside of the case. I'm going to do that tonight... if I remember. :rolleyes

That Helps

Thanks everyone. I appreciate hearing about this. One of the things it did do is to reinforce that it surely was my own fault and not that of the bike or bag :banghead . A great idea to put identification on the bag - sure wish I would have thought of that before. From now on, I'll be giving each bag a good hard wrestle before leaving and have id with cell phone taped to the motorcycle side of the bag. At least the dealer could get me a replacement within the week. BMorleyW

While I was traveling through a distant galaxie on my 1150r ,I went to latch the bag felt a sickening twang, dang!!! the tongue that latches the bag "failed to live up to its design potential" ..It broke off !!! w/ no way to latch the bag I remembered a thread from this forum about "saftey pining " the bags!!!! ya take a 1/4" drill & go through the lower bag ear & mount while its mounted on the bike then ya poot a 1/4" pin or bolt through & viola the bag is again secured Fortunately a mo-home type had a cordless drill in his rig n borrowed it to me ...I continued my inter-stellar voyage secure knowing that latch woud offend me no more !!!
ps if ya drill a 1/4" hole in the ribbing on the upper bag hook mount thingy it's a good place to store yer saftey pins when in the hanger:thumb

Mine came off the first year I owned my 04RT. Here's the lessons:
When they come off, you likely won't know it.
A locking bag has nothing to do with whether it's attached properly.

The key is the parallel tabs on the lower front of each bag.Those tabs have to have the knob on the bike fit in between those two tabs. Once I made that mistake I became obsessive about eyeballing that several times before I rode off.

Here's the stupid part of my mishap. I was on a group ride to Eureka Springs while the left case was not attached properly. It stayed on all morning until we came to a small town with a railroad crossing. While crossing the bumpy tracks in first gear, the left bag popped off and slid along the ground. I never saw this, but a rider behind me stopped and picked up my case to put it in his lap while riding his bike. It was a lovely day and this guy kept waiving to me. I kept waiving back thinking he was giving me a thumbs up. Later he looked like he was pointing to his tank and I kept thinking poor guy needs to stop for gas. Five miles later other riders caught up to me to get me to pull over and see the guy trying to give me my case. First and last time I ever make that mistake.

I didn't see it on any of the threads and perhaps it's never happened before, but has anyone ever lost a hard bag? After several hours on a 75 mile an hour freeway with very gusty winds I noticed that I had lost the right hard bag on my 2004 R1150 RT. Sad to say that I never noticed it in my mirror. Has this ever happened to anyone before? I remember checking that it was on properly and it was locked because you can't remove the key otherwise. I ordered another one today to the tune of $417, and of course I also lost my BMW battery charger and case lining when I lost the bag :violin The reason I'm asking is to try to find out if it was a once in a life time kind of thing or if there is an additional security strap or something to provide added security. Thanks

For the "later" BMW's (oilheads and K12's) the tongue that catches the underside of the top mounting bracket breaks. It's this tongue that protrudes out, under, and back again to catch and hold the bag under tension against the top bracket as you move the latch lever. Once the tongue breaks the bag can bounce off and be gone and you'll never notice until the next gas stop. It happened to me on my K1200RS and to another guy I know with an oilhead. BMW warrantied both bags. I was lucky in that all I lost besides the bag was a couple of t-shirts.

For an easy fix to the lost bag issue-go to the R1150 forum: www.R1150R.org and search out the thread that shows the fix. I did this fix and used the information given with one exception, being that the instructions there show some disassembly of bike that I found unnecessary . The fix involves drilling a hole of approximately 3/32" through the lock point on the bag lugs-with the bags in place and placing a lock clip you get from Home Depot(made like a large safety pin & only place I could find them) thru the hole. My opinion is that they are highly unlikely to come loose if they are correctly positioned(as previously stated) but this fix is cheap, easy and ensures they are in place and cannot come off. I also recommend taking the bags into a secure place, as my experience is that a potential thief will try to open your bag and thus bend the soft aluminum tab(painted bright orange) and your fix is a pair of needle nosed pliers which you'd better hope are not in the bag thats been affected! This happened to me in Mexico recently. As a side note, if you are new to the bags-buy some liners to make them more practical.

loss of hard bag

I used to carry a couple of long safety straps for an emergency lash up, if one of the System Cases came off my oiler. They were left over from when I had Light Touring cases on my airhead, which I always safety strapped, and which maybe was over caution on my part.

Rinty

Back