• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Opinions on buying a used 1150RS

nhbmw

Hi! First post from a new member.

I'm looking at a 2004 R1150RS ABS at a local dealer. The bike has 17000 miles and looks perfect in all respects. Haven't gone for a ride yet, because the weather has been awful! The asking price is a hundred or two above bluebook, which isn't way out of line.

I'm a pretty fair wrench, but haven't owned a modern Beemer (just an old R27). So I'm looking for advice and comments. Does this year and model have any weaknesses or problem areas I should watch for? Any services or inspections I should ask the dealer to do? ( I haven't looked at the service record yet.)

I'm quite sure this is the model for me -- not interested in dressers, cruisers or crotch rockets. If any owners care to comment on the riding characteristics of the RS, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

The 04 RS under the shorter faring is pretty close to an RT. Not sure if the RS had stuff like the electric windshield, but pretty much the same. Point is, that bike should have had it's first tune up at 600 miles which is the only time in the bike's life to torque the heads. No reason to suspect it didn't.

Other than that, the bike should have had a tune up every 6,000 miles. The tune ups have oil and filter change, new plugs, valve adjustment, balance of throttle bodies, air filter, and at some, transmission oil change ( possibly every 12k miles ?). Also, depending on the rider and places the bike has traveled, it might be likely the bike is at the end of a second set of tires.

If I'm right, in theory that bike is due for a tune up in 1,000 miles. Truth is, the bikes often get their tune ups prematurely for the purpose of convenience. I just sold my 04RT with 48k miles on the clock and many times I had the service done early because I was heading out on a long trip or already had the bike at the dealer.

Hopefully, your dealer did the 18k service on the bike before hanging the For Sale sign on it. Also the tires should be relatively new.

Lastly, the price on used bikes outside the dealers are more of a "Starting price". You should be able to get a better price especially in non riding weather.

As for an 041150RS with 17k on the clock, it should be just breaking in and ready for tens of thousands of hassle free miles. Good luck and don't pay the window sticker price.

Welcome aboard, The 04 1150 is the last year of the 1100/1150 run. All of the bugs from previous years have been worked out. I ride a 04 1150 RT. I believe that the RS is the same engine, though I'm not sure about the trannie. I know on past RT Police bikes, the claim to have the RS trannie. Proberly for better performance I guessing. I also ride a 94 1100 RS which I really enjoy riding. I would not hesitate to take either anyware, but usually take the RT on longer trips, mostly for the protection and a little better gas mileage. If you do purchase it, good luck. Try and make a rally. Post a picture of the bike when you can.:thumb

The RS is a wonderful bike, does just about everything tolerably well.

I have a '96, which is inferior in several ways (a clunkier five-speed gearbox, for example, instead of the 1150's six-speed, more subject to surging), and arguably superior in others (no whizzy brakes).

The riding position's the same as the 1150, but for me, the bars were a bit too far forward and the pegs too high in their stock configuration. I added barbacks to raise the grips and installed GS footplates to lower the pegs; these rotated the riding position a bit more upright, so that my bike is now about half-way between RS and RT. Now it's perfect, it has a bit over 96K miles on it, and I still smile when the garage door goes up.

I have an '03 1150RS that I bought new in Feb. '05 - got a good deal on it because the dealer was tired of seeing it on his floor after two years.

I now have 48,000 miles on it and still love it. It is great fun in the twisties and a great solo tourer. Yours - dual plugged - is even a little better.

Just FYI, Motorcycle Consumer News' used bike value guide lists the '04 RS at $9175.

John

I have a 04 R1150RS, what I really like about it is that it has a blacked out motor, better looking than silver. A great bike and fits my 6'2" body very well ( I have bar backs). Great for the long haul. My only real concern is the linked ABS, still works fine, but I'd hate to see it go out. I've only got 13,000 miles on mine, darn shame. seat fits me well with the Alaskan Sheepskin cover, good for over 700 mile days.
Stick to dealer recomended service and she'll treat you well. I do the tune ups and oil changes, but have the dealer do the brake evac at recommended intervals.

used RS

NH:

Welcome.

I had an '02 RS for several years, and I think it's one of the best bikes around. The '04's have dual spark plugs which makes them the best year for the whole series, in my opinion, as surging is minimized.

The only caveat I would mention is that the RS's, being sport tourers, are specialty bikes, so not quite as easy to sell as say, an RT or a GS. So you want to purchase it at a price that you can easily re - sell at, if necessary.

There is a good oiler RS group at Biker's Oracle that you can also join:

http://www.bikersoracle.com/rs/forum/

But we hope you'll stick around here, as well.

Rinty

Thanks to everyone!

NH:

Welcome.

I had an '02 RS for several years, and I think it's one of the best bikes around. The '04's have dual spark plugs which makes them the best year for the whole series, in my opinion, as surging is minimized.

The only caveat I would mention is that the RS's, being sport tourers, are specialty bikes, so not quite as easy to sell as say, an RT or a GS. So you want to purchase it at a price that you can easily re - sell at, if necessary.

There is a good oiler RS group at Biker's Oracle that you can also join:

http://www.bikersoracle.com/rs/forum/

But we hope you'll stick around here, as well.

Rinty

I *really* appreciate all your replies! Each one added to my understanding of what looks like a well-regarded bike. I'll make an offer on it this week.

And, yes, I'll definitely stick around. This forum is a keeper!

I did it!

Hi! First post from a new member.

I'm looking at a 2004 R1150RS ABS at a local dealer. The bike has 17000 miles and looks perfect in all respects. Haven't gone for a ride yet, because the weather has been awful! The asking price is a hundred or two above bluebook, which isn't way out of line.

I'm a pretty fair wrench, but haven't owned a modern Beemer (just an old R27). So I'm looking for advice and comments. Does this year and model have any weaknesses or problem areas I should watch for? Any services or inspections I should ask the dealer to do? ( I haven't looked at the service record yet.)

I'm quite sure this is the model for me -- not interested in dressers, cruisers or crotch rockets. If any owners care to comment on the riding characteristics of the RS, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Thanks again for your replies! I made an offer that was accepted and the bike is mine Saturday morning. I contacted the previous owner, who was happy to talk about his time with the bike, and that gave me a lot of confidence.

Now, if his foul New Hampshire weather will go away, I'll bring my new ride home!

new RS

Congratulations! :thumb

Now it's time to install a Remus sport exhaust so you can hear the symphony on those twisty New Hampshire backroads. :bliss

Rinty

My new ride

Welcome aboard, The 04 1150 is the last year of the 1100/1150 run. All of the bugs from previous years have been worked out. I ride a 04 1150 RT. I believe that the RS is the same engine, though I'm not sure about the trannie. I know on past RT Police bikes, the claim to have the RS trannie. Proberly for better performance I guessing. I also ride a 94 1100 RS which I really enjoy riding. I would not hesitate to take either anyware, but usually take the RT on longer trips, mostly for the protection and a little better gas mileage. If you do purchase it, good luck. Try and make a rally. Post a picture of the bike when you can.:thumb

As requested, here's my bike (as it looked last September on the dealer's lot, with a $500 higher asking price than now :thumb ). Had a little snow last night, along with the road salt, so I'll bring the bike home on Tuesday. Yippee!

Attachments

• My New Ride.jpg
    My New Ride.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 301
R1150RSA.jpg

I hope you like it as much as I like mine. My favorite color, look closely for some minor differences to your bike, you might have to look close.
You'll get plenty of compliments on the color, very european paint scheme.

Minor differences..........

R1150RSA.jpg

I hope you like it as much as I like mine. My favorite color, look closely for some minor differences to your bike, you might have to look close.
You'll get plenty of compliments on the color, very european paint scheme.

Tinted windscreen and front turn signals. Anything else?

By the way, when I first saw the bike last September, it was the color scheme that grabbed me. I'm lucky the RS wasn't a big seller, because it sat through the winter without a buyer. I don't criticize it because it isn't a perfect sport bike or tourer, I like it because it's very good at both!

The foot pegs are powder coated black, along w/ the teleleaver bar, the windshield frame is painted to match the grey on the bike. I'd like to do the forks and driveshaft, but that's more work than I'd want to do.
BTW the windshield is a BMW one, just Canadian specs.
I like the blacked out look, subtle changes, but adds to the overall look.
Here's a photo bucket link that might give you an idea on a gps MOUNT.
http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/ahobie17/BMW Picutres/

I do like the grey/ivory color scheme even though it is well established that the blue/frost ones are faster and ridden by better looking people.

John

Humm, you don't say.
Strange thing is I don't see very many of the R1150RS's anyway. Not many at the last two MOA rallies. I think I saw one other grey/ivory one.

i have a 01 R1100RT & 82 R65. I had the pleasure of having a R1150R as a loner for 12 days when I use to have a R1200C and the 1150 boxer is a dream and the 6 speed is very usable. The most importent thing is to adjust the valves when you change the oil. The 1st time might take a while but it's not realy hard just remember you need two set of gauges becuase you have to do the sets of valves at the same time intakes together and exhust together. and the I just had the spline lubed at 60k. It does not need it every 10k. maybe every 40k according to my bmw shade tree mech. who has 105k on his 1100rs :thumb

Back